Open Baffle field coil speaker

Montreal_Jazz

Open Baffle field coil speaker
« on: 15 Jan 2023, 10:49 pm »
Hi guys, sorta new here, mostly lurking until now!  :o

I came across this guy today. Songer...His open baffle seems very interesting. Although I have to admit my incompetence with an open baffle, field coil and back Wizzer that is magnet suspended, got me scratching my head. The thing is floating...I kinda like the theory of it so far but how does it do in real life?
I’m sure Mr. Ritchie has something interesting to say about something like this. I’m also pretty sure some of you have tried something like it, please share your findings! Let's use this as a discussion starter about it. Cheers 🍻

https://youtu.be/WlaD26KAF44

Addendum here; I did NOT see the price before posting...FML 🤣 I guess I’ll stick with the line force! Heck I can even make it full of Mundorfs 😂
https://songeraudio.com/products

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Open Baffle field coil speaker
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2023, 11:03 pm »
Too fancy, top money, also interesting GM70 amp wow  :thumb:

Jaytor

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2023, 05:05 am »
I first heard Ken's speakers (not the open baffle version) at the Pacific Audio Fest. I wasn't that impressed with them at the time, but it was the end of a long day of listening to many systems and my ears were shot.

Ken brought his open baffle speakers to one of our Portland Audio Club meetings about a month later. Coincidentally, I brought my 300B monoblocks to demo at the same meeting so that's what we used to drive them. These sounded much better to me than what I remember from PAF. Our meetings are at a bar with many people having conversations, so it's not possible to draw any solid conclusions, but I thought they sounded pretty nice. They are also very well built with a beautiful finish.

I'm very impressed with what Ken has created with these. Building a quality speaker completely from scratch including a sophisticated driver is a quite a challenge, and it's all the more impressive for a tiny business like Songer. I wish him success with his business and hope to hear these speakers in a more optimal listening environment sometime in the near future.

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2023, 11:43 pm »
Have a look at the measured response. That would be interesting.