Wharfedale Linton - Modification

techiefun

Wharfedale Linton - Modification
« on: 27 Nov 2022, 03:29 pm »
I have finally finished installing the Danny designed upgrades to one of my two Lintons.  I took the opportunity to A/B listen test the unmodified and Danny upgraded version in mono.  Okay - so they are certainly not the same speakers.  To be clear, the originals did not have the sound signature I enjoy (too laid back, midrange clarity was less than what I like, etc), thus why I went the upgrade path.  The Danny designed version sounds much more upfront (not in your face) and the midrange clarity is astounding and the bass remains tight with (maybe) more extension.  To my ears, the changes made by Danny in the frequency response are responsible for many of the positive (to me) changes.  However, this upgrade has convinced me of the value of the parts quality!  Listening over and over again to the same song on both speakers (alternating) was enough to 'sell' me.  The major differences were in the treble and midrange - listening to Lumineers "Dead Sea", I could hear the separation of instruments, voices, and notes on individual instruments.  Further, the lead singers voice can sometimes be a bit fatiguing over the unmodified Lintons, but this was gone with the modified one. Technical details - I used all the supplied upgrade parts except the tube connectors and no rez.  I did not use the tube connectors because I did not wish to modify the cabinet.  I did not use no Rez b/c the box is separated by the midrange tube (cabinet within cabinet) and the new crossover parts take up a lot of space, so I felt there was insufficient space left.  So, instead I used roof membrane (rubberized asphalt adhesive backed by layer of high density cross laminated polyethylene) throughout the cabinet and then installed the crossover components on top.  Other equipment: Benchmark pre-amp and dac, Schitt Aegir mono amp.

Jaytor

Re: Wharfedale Linton - Modification
« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2022, 10:03 pm »
Congrats on your upgrade. I'm glad to hear they are working out well for you. I don't know how many hours you have on the upgraded crossovers, but they will continue to improve over at least the first 50 hours (longer for some types of capacitors).

Looks like you've got a nice system.

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2022, 02:23 pm »
There is no real need to modify the box to install the tube connectors. Not really. Just remove the old binding posts and chase the old hole with a drill bit to open it up to 7/16". Then install them. They will give you more clarity across the board, top to bottom. 

Randy

« Reply #3 on: 28 Nov 2022, 04:15 pm »
I had a pair of Lintons for about two weeks.  Sent them back.  Dullish, muffled sound, bloated bass. I thought they were terrible, and here they get all those great reviews. Unfathomable.  No doubt Danny had a major task making them listenable.

Prior to that I tried some Dentons.  Same thing. Just awful.  I should have learned my lesson.   Take reviewers' opinions with a grain of salt.

techiefun

« Reply #4 on: 3 Dec 2022, 07:27 pm »
Update - I finished the second Linton of the pair.  I burned in both for 100 hrs or so (using music).  Using the same system as before (Benchmark preamp and dac with mono schiit aegirs and Bluesound streamer, the speakers sound sooo much better.  Prior to modification they were quite 'muted' (instruments sound without life and not real), as well the soundstage was less than what I would expect. 
Now, they are much more clear (transparent) in treble and midrange and the bass is no longer (as) flabby as it was before.  The thing that has surprised me is the imaging - they (pretty much) disappear.  Yes, these wide baffle/old school design speakers are throwing an incredibly precise image.  The side to side image is mostly what I am referring to here, the front to back (depth) is fine but not amazing.
Two things to note - they actually sound better (to my ears and taste) on the Elekit TU-8600RVK (with OPT, resistor and capacitor upgrades).  I did not do the burn in with this amp due to the expense of tubes...  The second thing is that they image better with the grills on.

On to next projects - GR Research LGK 2.0 and when I get my garage cleared the NX-Extremes that have been sitting there for 6 months...

R