Encore frequency protection

Mann-83

Encore frequency protection
« on: 6 Nov 2022, 06:20 am »
I'm loving my new X-LS Encores and I want to keep them for forever.  While playing the soundtrack of Blade Runner 2049 at a normal volume, the driver cone was moving so much it almost slapped me.  I don't want to damage it.  My 1979 Pioneer receiver has a 15HZ filter, my current amp does not.  Am I being overprotective, or do you recommend a filter of some kind?

VinceT

Re: Encore frequency protection
« Reply #1 on: 6 Nov 2022, 03:03 pm »
Interesting

My Encores have never had the driver excusion to the extreme to concern me. Even with the most bass heavy tracks, especially at normal listening levels.

I would be curious to here from more in the know if this is norm or something else. You said these were new, did you buy them already put together or DIY?

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #2 on: 6 Nov 2022, 04:07 pm »
Blade Runner 2049 was known to put A TON of LFE into the mix for the movie. Not surprising to hear those drivers running a marathon. Similar to anyone listening to 1812 Overture with the real cannon fire and watching their drivers jump out of the speaker box. As long as you don't play that every day at reference volume, shouldn't be bad. If you have a sub in the system, passing off the low end has multiple benefits.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 6 Nov 2022, 04:28 pm »
If you're running an AV receiver, you may be able to select the speakers as "small" and it'll roll the bottom end off of the speakers and you can adjust the subs to fill out the bottom end.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 6 Nov 2022, 04:44 pm »
While playing the soundtrack of Blade Runner 2049 at a normal volume, the driver cone was moving so much it almost slapped me.

It should, you should hear what the woofer does at reference level volume in my home theater. Music composer Hans Zimmer loves to play around with 15 Hz synth noise, Blade Runner 2049 may have been his most extreme experiment. Director Denis Villeneuve and Zimmer also worked together on the recent Dune film. I seems they have learned from their mistakes, even though Dune has low bass that will shake a room it doesn't have the extreme 15 Hz bass so it is more woofer friendly.

Even my REL sub doesn't like the reference level bass on Blade Runner 2049 and I have to dial down the sub volume. Both the Blu-ray and CD soundtrack have the boosted low bass. If you are playing the CD soundtrack on a stereo, your only solution is "Don't do that!"

Mann-83

« Reply #5 on: 6 Nov 2022, 11:51 pm »
Great info! I think a sub is my next purchase, although I'm amazed on the depth of these little Encores.  I'm also looking for a theater receiver.  I've been out of the game for a while, and I'm a bit shocked that new receivers don't always have a filter option.  I guess the goal of any system is to be pure and not filtered, but can the human ear hear 15 Hz?

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 7 Nov 2022, 12:10 am »
... but can the human ear hear 15 Hz?

No but your butt can.

Modern receivers like Anthem have adjustable frequency curves, some are more coarse than others, unfortunately you will have to read the manuals to find out.

Anthem's ARC allow you to fine tune everything

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 7 Nov 2022, 12:18 am »
My 1979 Pioneer receiver has a 15HZ filter, my current amp does not.  Am I being overprotective, or do you recommend a filter of some kind?
Perhaps you could lower the volume control on your amplifier when this happens.

Toecutter

« Reply #8 on: 7 Nov 2022, 01:01 am »
I have an AVR ,encores, and 2 12-inch subs . I set the xover on the avr to 150hz . That soundtrack had the encores dancing prettt good, but didnt bottom out.

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 7 Nov 2022, 08:45 pm »