NX-Studios VS X-Static with OB subs

Wireman61

NX-Studios VS X-Static with OB subs
« on: 30 Oct 2022, 02:24 pm »
I have a set of Encore X-SLS speakers that I built about a year ago and are great. I recently got a set of OB subs and they are incredible. I am thinking about an upgrade. I would love a set of X-Oticas but they are out of my price range. I'm looking for any input between the X-statics and NX-Studios. My room is a dedicated listening room for music only and is very well acoustically treated. Currently my speaker are 6.5 feet from the front wall. I have quadratic diffusion behind them. The subs are flanking the towers right now and the bass is unbelievable. I'm attributing that to the open baffle part of the subs as I have had quite a few different sealed/ ported in my time and never heard anything like this.
I know the X-statics are a more "open baffle" design and would have a little more lower mid bass to them and the Studios are using a better drivers.
I'm leaning towards the Studios but would like any opinions or options anyone might have.

Thanks!

morganc

Re: NX-Studios VS X-Static with OB subs
« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2022, 02:39 pm »
NX Studios gets my vote.

mkrawcz

« Reply #2 on: 30 Oct 2022, 02:44 pm »
The NX-Studios will get you closer to the NX-Oticas than the X-Statics will.

VinceT

« Reply #3 on: 30 Oct 2022, 03:21 pm »
I haven't heard talk of the Otica MTMs in a while. If still available that maybe a great option as well. If you do a search they will pop up.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct 2022, 05:42 pm »
I have not heard the other options, but I can say my Studios have detail and texture beyond belief. Consider them the Ken Jennings of speakers (for any jeopardy fans) where they are super articulate but never offensive about it. Also the cabinets are super easy to build and a very extra mods take the sound even higher. Never once have I wished it had more bass output that couldn't blend easily with my subs. In fact, since my room is smaller and I listen near-midfield I get strong output down to 50hz before it rolls off where typical rooms seems to be more 70hz. You'll have no problem blending them seamlessly. Just my $0.02.

-Lloyd

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 30 Oct 2022, 07:13 pm »
NX Studio's plus OB subs will give you one of the top 10 speaker setups in the world.  Even if you don't 'max out' the crossover to begin with.

JCarney

« Reply #6 on: 30 Oct 2022, 07:18 pm »

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #7 on: 30 Oct 2022, 08:55 pm »
No regrets with my NX-STUDIO purchase :thumb:

There are some nice examples of AC members Studio builds on here for you to check out too!
PeterJ has some excellent video footage on youtube, to get you started on a build as well!

Best of luck in your selection!
« Last Edit: 2 Nov 2022, 11:07 pm by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #8 on: 30 Oct 2022, 09:03 pm »
Another vote for NX Studio's and I don't even have a sub.

I do have the upgraded crossover.

They sound killer and work for any kind of music.

Have fun.

Wayne in Oregon

Wireman61

« Reply #9 on: 30 Oct 2022, 11:22 pm »
I sense a pattern here. Thanks to everyone for your input.

jn316

« Reply #10 on: 31 Oct 2022, 01:26 am »
NX Studio's plus OB subs will give you one of the top 10 speaker setups in the world.  Even if you don't 'max out' the crossover to begin with.

Wow!

A big consideration for me is that they go low enough that I can leave my double OB subs where they are in my theater and only move the NX-Studios and stands out into the room for critical 2-ch listening. Even the NX-Oticas would be a little bit of a pain to move. These guys, not so much.

bhassel

« Reply #11 on: 2 Nov 2022, 03:56 pm »
I too have been debating between the NX-Studios and X-Statics. This helped me get my decision to go with the NX-Studios.

Additionally, I am room challenged and must live with what I have which is a family room/kitchen/computers/fireplace/tv and stereo all fighting for space along with an exercise bike, furniture and on and on. All in a space of 17'Wx29'Lx12'H and 20'L without counting the kitchen.

Everything is piled on one of the long walls with sliding glass door, windows and bookcases along the back long wall.

NX Studios look like the mostly likely candidate for my application, short of headphones.  :duh: 

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 2 Nov 2022, 05:34 pm »
Applications for these two speakers are pretty different.

The X-Statik has an advantage in having higher sensitivity (91db verses 88db), and are better for bigger room and home theaters. These are huge bang for the buck models.

The NX Studio Monitor is for mixing, mastering, smaller rooms, and applications where moving a speaker three feet out into the room is not an option. Sound quality wise they are the top of the mountain.

OrangeAgent

« Reply #13 on: 2 Nov 2022, 05:58 pm »
Danny,

Would you say the X-Statik is a better choice for home theatres because its likely to be paired with a receiver that wont deliver the upstream resolution to get the most out of the Studios, or because they have more dynamics and are better paired with cinema playback?

I have Encores as my mains with a Voce center, and am pondering whether I would prefer X-Statiks for a matching LCR setup or whether the Studios would bring something to the party for 2channel that the X-Statiks would not. The sensitivity mismatch wouldnt be ideal, but the value proposition for X-statiks as a ptp kit is less compelling than it was when it was the circuit board kit. Prior to reading your recommendation above, I had decided that Studios would be a better investment in my time/money.

morganc

« Reply #14 on: 2 Nov 2022, 06:02 pm »
Danny,

Would you say the X-Statik is a better choice for home theatres because its likely to be paired with a receiver that wont deliver the upstream resolution to get the most out of the Studios, or because they have more dynamics and are better paired with cinema playback?

I have Encores as my mains with a Voce center, and am pondering whether I would prefer X-Statiks for a matching LCR setup or whether the Studios would bring something to the party for 2channel that the X-Statiks would not. The sensitivity mismatch wouldnt be ideal, but the value proposition for X-statiks as a ptp kit is less compelling than it was when it was the circuit board kit. Prior to reading your recommendation above, I had decided that Studios would be a better investment in my time/money.

I have the NX studio in an HT set up with Dual Servos and it sounds fantastic to me. I upgraded the Xover on the XVoce to move it closer to the NX Studio and it is a phenomenal set up. 

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #15 on: 2 Nov 2022, 06:03 pm »
Hey guy's, Check out Danny's latest video "NX-Treme Strengths in a Bookshelf Speaker? Yup.". He talks about the NX Studios in detail. :thumb:

Toecutter

« Reply #16 on: 5 Nov 2022, 05:40 pm »
Danny,

I have xls encores hooked to a home theater receiver. I am also thinking of upgrading to one of these two speakers next year . I think i am going to do the nx route. I also have the pre outs on my receiver going to a 300w amp driving the encores. So you could have the receiver and a better amp powing the main speakers.

Dahodevil

« Reply #17 on: 5 Nov 2022, 07:43 pm »
I’ve just completed a pair on NX studios to replace my 37 year old JBL L

96’s. I thought I had great speakers. Wrong. The NX studios are on a whole other level. Blew me away. I realized I used to listen to speakers. Now I hear the music. Incredible detail and realism.  They are in a large room with minimal treatment and a pair of 12” sealed subs.
 Thanks Danny

bhassel

« Reply #18 on: 5 Nov 2022, 08:49 pm »
I know this has varied over the years, did your cross over have any upgrades?

Really looks great BTW.

Bob

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #19 on: 5 Nov 2022, 10:24 pm »
Dahodevil, those look fantastic! I love the blue and silver with the black trim details.  :thumb: :thumb: