GR Research Cables

cjsailer

GR Research Cables
« on: 21 Jun 2023, 10:36 pm »
With the power and speaker cables offered by GR-Research.  How do you decide between the gauge of wires offered, (power B16 vs B24, speaker strands 16 vs 24)?  Is it simply a question of longer runs benefiting from a heavier gauge?  I'd be looking at a 6' runs for the amp to speakers, and a 4' run on power cables.  I sit fairly close to the speakers, around 8' and listen at moderate levels.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: GR Research Cables
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2023, 04:08 pm »
For power cables, we recommend the B24 for source gear like a DAC or phono stage, as that's where the filtering of the power cables will make the most difference, then using the B16 for the rest of the gear like preamp & power amp, as there's less benefit the further down the chain you go.

For speaker cables, the 24 strand cable is more beneficial for longer runs or speakers that require lots of current/power. (eg: Magnepans and some Tekton speakers)
For shorter runs (less than 10 feet), smaller or more efficient speakers, you can easily get away with the 16-strand cables.

350Industrial

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2023, 02:29 pm »
Hobbs- I'm running a B16 cable on my all-analog integrated amp, and a B24 on my DAC- really like the improvement I've gotten with this setup.

Question- would the B24 also improve my streamer transport just upstream of my DAC (Aurender N150)?  Currently just running the stock power cord on this.  Is there a thing of "too much" filtering by going this route?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2023, 02:51 pm »
You should see some further improvement by removing noise from your source/streamer as well.

Over-filtering with our power cables only seems to be an issue when paired with devices like the PS-Audio Regenerators, which is feedback we've gotten from a couple customers, especially with the B24.
Outside of that, we've not seen or heard of over-filtering being an issue.

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2023, 05:13 pm »
The inductance is probably too low for Ubers. In any other situation it would be consider a good thing.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2023, 09:29 pm »
We've used the B24s on Ubers without any issue thus far. I did some testing comparing the Shunyata Research Venom V16 vs an Uber Buss (1st Gen) with my Denafrips Ares II DAC and the Uber had a little better clarity and a moderately wider/deeper soundstage, but the Venom was still a lot better than the generic Furman power strip I normally use. I also noticed a slight loss of output in deep bass with the Shunyata Venom I didn't notice with the Uber or Furman.

With the customer's regenerators, the main complaint was that the treble had essentially vanished, the soundstage and separation, especially in the midrange and bass was excellent, but the treble became really recessed. Removing the regenerators made for much better presence in the treble, but it also lost a lot of the improved separation within the midrange that came with the reduction in noise floor from the regenerators.