Spatial Audio Lab Introduction

klyph

Re: About Spatial Audio - Industry Introduction
« Reply #40 on: 4 Sep 2021, 04:12 pm »
Hi. I'm Klyph. I have two sets of Spatial speakers.

foo_me

« Reply #41 on: 16 Sep 2021, 06:47 am »
Just introducing myself to the board. Hope to pull the trigger on the X5 very soon. My room is 20x15x8. That should be okay right or save up a little longer for the X3s?

Thanks and love all the information here. It’s been very helpful!

doggie

« Reply #42 on: 17 Sep 2021, 11:42 am »
Just introducing myself to the board. Hope to pull the trigger on the X5 very soon. My room is 20x15x8. That should be okay right or save up a little longer for the X3s?

My listening space is about that same size and my new X5's sound great. In fact you are in better shape as the 15 foot width will allow you more room between the side walls and your speakers than I have.

You will want to have the front wall be the 15 foot dimension otherwise once you pull the speakers out 3 feet you will be forced to have your listening position too close to the rear wall.

PS. Be sure to read all of the posts here about break-in. It is real  :)

foo_me

« Reply #43 on: 18 Sep 2021, 07:10 am »
Thanks for the advice! And Clayton made the same recommendation as well. 

JuMu

« Reply #44 on: 11 Jan 2022, 09:09 am »
I am also considering spatial audio but there are some questions in my mind :)

I love the idea of tweeters producing not only highs but also mid range in M3 Sapphire. It’s like Tekton Design speakers but instead of 7 tweeters acting like one mid range, M3 does it with one single tweeter without crossover. I think it will sound very smooth. But the more expensive model X3 series uses a AMT tweeter and a midrange woofer with crossover. Yes, maybe this tweeter is of higher quality and gives you better details in higher ranges but I am not sure I will get the smoothness of crossoverless design.

In addition, X3 uses one 15” woofer for lows with active amplification and this makes your gears to drive speakers easier. But…on the other hand, M3 Sapphire uses two 15” subwoofers. Passive but 2.

One last thing, M3 may have advantage in the off-axis positions due to not having AMT tweeters used in X3 but I am not sure.

My questions is, if I use a powerful amp like Hegel 390, can I get better results from M3 than X3?

Or maybe I will just order a pair of Tekton Design Double Impacts but I have questions about their built quality and customer service. And I wanna experience open baffle design.

Your help will be much appreciated because I don’t have any chance to listen them personally. Thank you in advance :)

Mr. Big

« Reply #45 on: 12 Jan 2022, 08:37 pm »
JuMu, Not sure anyone can tell you the best move. I think my Sapphires are one of the nicest speakers I've owned in 45 years in this hobby. They are what Clayton says they are, he is a good and honest man and was very helpful. Tektron speakers, I never heard of, but I could never live with their looks. Reviews are good, but here you get reviews from real owners, and if you want education take the time to read the posts. From setup to the burn-in time it's all here from folks who spent their own money on the speakers. One thing 100% of us would tell you, prepare for a long burn-in time, and don't judge them brand new or even a month old unless you really put so many hours on them. Fantastic speakers that give the impression there are performers in your room, they sound alive. They like power, and though they sound good with lower power there is always ease when you have more power due to headroom, and the midrange even becomes better. I used a 400-watt amp and now a 300-watt SS amp. I am sure a 60-100 watt tube amp would sing also.
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2022, 02:07 pm by Mr. Big »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #46 on: 12 Jan 2022, 08:44 pm »
I've heard the Tektron speakers several times and they are, IMO, not on the same level as the current Spatial lineup.

consttraveler

• I think I won!
« Reply #47 on: 12 Jan 2022, 10:05 pm »
JuMu:  I doubt you will get an agreement with the comparison you made.  As an X-5 owner I can tell you the reason you won't.  The Spatials are just that good, and an exceptional value.  You owe it to yourself to hear the ones that fit your room. 

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #48 on: 12 Jan 2022, 11:28 pm »
My questions is, if I use a powerful amp like Hegel 390, can I get better results from M3 than X3?
Or maybe I will just order a pair of Tekton Design Double Impacts but I have questions about their built quality and customer service. And I wanna experience open baffle design.
Your help will be much appreciated because I don’t have any chance to listen them personally. Thank you in advance :)
I can speak to the M3’s liking power. I’ve owned mine since 2019. Many will say they don’t need a lot of power and will sound amazing. I was a little concerned that a lower wattage power amp might not have the grunt with those passive woofers so I upgraded from my Octave V40se which was a wonderful sounding amp to begin with. I now have the V70 Class A which makes the midrange sing. IMO that is where the soundstage lives and for me this is my endgame system. So I do think the Hegel 390 will do great things for the M3’s. I agree with what’s said about the Tektons. Just not at all in the same league.

newzooreview

« Reply #49 on: 13 Jan 2022, 12:04 am »
Do you run the V70 in 25W or 50W mode with the Sapphires?

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #50 on: 13 Jan 2022, 12:49 am »
Do you run the V70 in 25W or 50W mode with the Sapphires?
50W with the supplied KT120’s. I have experimented with 6550’s KT88’s some vintage tubes from RAM, can’t remember which and the KT150’s which a friend of mine uses and loves. I find the KT120’s at least in my setup are so smooth and uniform top to bottom.

newzooreview

« Reply #51 on: 13 Jan 2022, 01:28 am »
Thanks!

5wavesup

« Reply #52 on: 30 Jan 2023, 03:05 pm »
Introduction - Good morning everyone, thinking about making the leap to open baffle speakers. I look forward to reading through the circle and posting a few questions.

Not all that sure about what to say here but below is my system.

NAD M10
Philharmonic Audio BMRs
SVS PB12-NSD

Just purchased a bunch of treatment, but have yet to install. All of it is just leaning up against the wall for now.

lazbisme

« Reply #53 on: 30 Jan 2023, 07:28 pm »
welcome to forum!
Find Tyson's post with his X3s for sale at almost a give away price. You will save yourself much agony if you just buy these now and your search will be over. I can say that because I also have X3s. Mine are NOT for sale. :icon_lol:

minatophase3

« Reply #54 on: 31 Jan 2023, 02:13 am »
Introduction - Good morning everyone, thinking about making the leap to open baffle speakers. I look forward to reading through the circle and posting a few questions.

Not all that sure about what to say here but below is my system.

NAD M10
Philharmonic Audio BMRs
SVS PB12-NSD

Just purchased a bunch of treatment, but have yet to install. All of it is just leaning up against the wall for now.
The BMR's were my first set of speakers I purchased when I decided to get into 2 channel music several years ago.  They are fantastic speakers especially for the money.  I sold mine to buy the Dynaudio Special 40's and I preferred the sound of those over the BMR's.  Thought I had found my perfect speaker until I had a business trip to Salt Lake City.  While in town I arranged a demo of the M3 Sapphires at Clayton's place.  Once I heard those I knew I needed an open baffle speaker.  The sound was so open and natural, the bass was very good and everything just sounded right.  Based on the size of my room Clayton recommended the M4 Sapphire would be a better fit so I bought those.  Have had them now for slightly more than 1 year and still love them.  Every time I make an upgrade to my system the M4's just sound better and better.  I was running dual subs with my Special 40's, I sold them once I got the M4's.  The bass they produce while not as strong as a subwoofer, it is so clean, tight and pure, it just sounds perfect. I have my right speaker about 2 feet from the wall and my left speaker is about 18 feet from the wall as my room is not a normal shape.  The M4's don't seem to care.  I would highly recommend one of the Spatial open baffle speakers, as long as you can pull them at least 2 feet out from the front wall all will be good. 

Where are you located, maybe you can arrange for a demo with someone that has a set.

Good luck with your search!