Ohm Acoustics for sale

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Ohm Acoustics for sale
« on: 13 Aug 2023, 10:25 am »
Apparently the owners of Brooklyn based Ohm Acoustics want to retire and are selling the company.  Not much market for speaker companies, the economics are hard to get past as noted by Jim Salk here on AC.  The article linked here mentions DeVore is also in Brooklyn, but nothing more than that.

https://www.ecoustics.com/news/ohm-acoustics-for-sale/

Mike B.

Re: Ohm Acoustics for sale
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug 2023, 03:02 pm »
speaker and cable companies can be a difficult sale. Ohm has a positive history so good luck to the seller.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 13 Aug 2023, 07:32 pm »
The Ohm A was the first speaker I was blown away by.  But owning one meant having a budget for both an expensive speaker AND an expensive amp.  You weren't going to drive them with your Pioneer SX 727. 

Phil_S

« Reply #3 on: 4 Oct 2023, 12:03 pm »

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 4 Oct 2023, 02:32 pm »
The Ohm A was the first speaker I was blown away by.  But owning one meant having a budget for both an expensive speaker AND an expensive amp.  You weren't going to drive them with your Pioneer SX 727.
The saying at the time was, "200 watts to drive them, 250 watts to blow them up."
Only had one chance to hear them, a few years ago at Capital Audiofest. Demo conditions were really poor- the systems were 'bleeding' together severely (if you stood at the middle system, out in the huge hallway, you heard three systems at the same time). I could... sort of... get an idea of their attributes.Maybe I'll get another chance sometime. Hope they stick around. The fact that they have survived 40+ years in the fickle audio marketplace is cause for hope if they have a good, experienced team going forward.

mick wolfe

« Reply #5 on: 4 Oct 2023, 09:10 pm »
Yes, it's a shame if someone doesn't take up the reins at Ohm. In my case, the OHM 1000 does sonic wonders in my small room that basically topples many of the small monitors I've tried. First off, I've found them to be beautifully voiced. They also seem to create more ambience and space giving the room a larger feel. While some will argue their imaging is somewhat diffuse, I find it quite natural to what one hears in a live music setting. IOW, I've never left a concert hearing people raving about the pin point imaging of the performance.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 4 Oct 2023, 09:34 pm »
Yes, it's a shame if someone doesn't take up the reins at Ohm. In my case, the OHM 1000 does sonic wonders in my small room that basically topples many of the small monitors I've tried. First off, I've found them to be beautifully voiced. They also seem to create more ambience and space giving the room a larger feel. While some will argue their imaging is somewhat diffuse, I find it quite natural to what one hears in a live music setting. IOW, I've never left a concert hearing people raving about the pin point imaging of the performance.
They also seem to create more ambience and space giving the room a larger feel.
Only the finest speakers are able to do it,
it have nothing to do with tag price.