Greetings from New Hampshire

plunderphonic

Greetings from New Hampshire
« on: 14 May 2021, 10:38 pm »
Just introducing myself.  I'm Mike, 43, recently moved form NYC to NH.  Created account here ages ago but apparently never got around to posting until now.  Been active buying and selling over on A'gon and USAM as "Plunderphonic" past 15 years or so.

Just set my system back up (ZYX Universe--->Scheu Premier--->Thoress phono--->LIO DHT--->--->PHY's in OB) and the tweaking begins...   

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Greetings from New Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2021, 10:45 pm »
Welcome Mike  :thumb:
Do you would inform us your impressions on this Phy-HP?
Do you use a sub?
Thanks
« Last Edit: 14 May 2021, 11:50 pm by FullRangeMan »

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2021, 10:58 pm »
Welcome!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2021, 12:58 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC plunderphonic   :thumb:

drmike

« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2021, 12:58 pm »
hello from candia.

plunderphonic

« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2021, 06:40 pm »
The large Phys (I'm referring to 12" HP30 LB 15 silver voice coil, no concentric piezo tweeter) are extremely coherent and organic sounding.  For a while I thought they were sort of "warm" sounding but after feeding them better and better (read: more revealing) front end gear I realize they can get as clean as you wan them to sound.  After moving away from transformer-coupled SETs (I think I've tried every DHT tube amp imaginable) the transparency of OTL's proved to be the best match (with simple clean SS amps like First Watt stuff an admirable runner-up). 

Berning amplification matches perfect with them (to my ears) with the latest Ultralinear just taking the cake.  The Phys may not be as quick or incisive as, say, a pair of Accutons, but there's something to be said for portraying so much of the spectrum with one coherent driver.  Using test tone cd I got *some* information down into the 30s and I think these roll off around 10 or 11kHz if memory serves (so I added a tweeter). 

I wasn't a huge fan of the concentric piezo tweeter that came with them originally so when I sent them back to Phy (a diy OTL's DC had it's way with them a few years back) I had them essentially send me new pair without the piezo tweeter.  I subsequently cannibalized a pair of Gemini dipole compression tweeters off a damaged pair of Bastanis (couldn't get my hands on them any other way) and just crossed them over with one Duelund cap (and a cheap L-pad).  Supplemented with a REL Storm III on bottom, the sound is pretty darn satisfying.  I keep trying out other speakers but I keep coming back to these.  The sound is just *right*, especially for the late 50s jazz and 60 rock/psych/prog I play so much of.

I love a BIG soundstage and these deliver (the LIO DHT preamp with the big KR T100 tubes doesn't hurt there either).  In these big open baffles the sound is positively HUGE, filling the room.  Stereo imaging is impressive with at times jaw-dropping front to back depth and spooky holographic imaging. 

My only quibble might be the low end which is a little "fat" and not super tight.  It's big and round and bouncy, which I often don't mind, but these are not the last word in bass definition and detail.  You will get the "size" and feel of a kickdrum but not the visceral "hit-you-in-the-chest" impact and overtones of one.

If that makes sense...

As always, it's a constant work in progress....any comments or suggestions welcome!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2021, 07:00 pm »
 :thumb:Thanks Bro, very appreciated.