Salk Speaker Upgrade Question

salksubs

Salk Speaker Upgrade Question
« on: 12 May 2021, 07:01 pm »
Greetings.  I am new to this site.  I have a question regarding Salk Speakers.  I currently run Joseph Audio Perspective speakers with 2 Salk 12in subs. In the interest of downsizing, I am thinking about ordering a set of Salk Exotic 3 speakers to replace both the Joseph Audio floor standers and the subs. 

The Salk Exotic speakers, according to their website, have very nice bass response.

Any advice?   Thank You.

kingdeezie

Re: Salk Speaker Upgrade Question
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2021, 09:31 pm »
The Salk Exotica speakers are great. I’ve had mine for a while. Their bass is excellent in speed and definition. I’m not a bass head, so they’ve always been enough for me. I use them in a second system for TV, and they are a solid choice.

I heard a rumor they are discontinued because the 8 inch drivers are no longer in production. Don’t know how true that is.

salksubs

« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2021, 09:39 pm »
Thank you for your response.  I see two Salk speakers which have been discontinued due to discontinued woofers.  But as far as I can see the Exotic 3s are still available.  I will double check with Salk as my research progresses.

R Swerdlow

« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2021, 03:24 pm »
Thank you for your response.  I see two Salk speakers which have been discontinued due to discontinued woofers.  But as far as I can see the Exotic 3s are still available.  I will double check with Salk as my research progresses.
You should definitely speak with Jim Salk.

You now have Joseph Audio Perspectives.  I've heard them at audio shows, and I very much like them.

One of Salk's designs, the Veracity ST, has the same mid-woofers as the Perspective, but with a ribbon tweeter.  (I have a pair :D.)  As a result, Jim is quite familiar with the overall sound shared by both of these speakers.  He may have other useful ideas on models he sells that may be of interest for you.

salksubs

« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2021, 09:23 pm »
Thank you.  I will certainly take your advice. I guess my most basic question is how will the external subs compare with a 3 way speaker given that the Salk Exotics have an 20hz powered bass response.....down low! 
You see my point possible replacement Salk speakers have an effective "built in subwoofer"  is this better than external subs?  Or is it like all things audio......maybe yes, maybe no.

R Swerdlow

« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2021, 07:14 pm »
To answer your question, I can only offer the general advice about the advantage that separate subwoofers have over full range 3-way speakers.

Bass frequencies are highly dependent on speaker and listener placement in a room.  Locating speakers in a room for optimal bass performance can often result in different locations than would be optimal for midrange and treble performance.  Subwoofers in separate cabinets allow more flexibility in placing speakers.

All that depends greatly on your room dimensions, speaker placement options, and your listening locations.

Saturn94

« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2021, 09:52 pm »
To answer your question, I can only offer the general advice about the advantage that separate subwoofers have over full range 3-way speakers.

Bass frequencies are highly dependent on speaker and listener placement in a room.  Locating speakers in a room for optimal bass performance can often result in different locations than would be optimal for midrange and treble performance.  Subwoofers in separate cabinets allow more flexibility in placing speakers.

All that depends greatly on your room dimensions, speaker placement options, and your listening locations.

+1

My personal experience has been I’ve obtained better performance using a separate sub rather than just a “full range” speaker.

DEP14

« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2021, 11:02 pm »
I had a chance to audition the Exotica 3's at BRM's house a few years ago now.

I was very impressed by the speaker.  While I like a tad more "Snap" in my speaker, I could have listened to and enjoyed the Exotica 3 for hours.  Still one of the best imaging speakers I have ever heard.  The bass, I felt was absolutely spot on.  Deep, tight, accurate.  I like bass, and could have been very, very happy with the bass they provided.  I've asked Jim in fact if a different midrange and tweeter could be used.  But, the 8 inch woofers I believe are no longer available.

The speaker I think that they compare the closest to are the Vandersteen Quattro's, which also have a powered subwoofer.  Another speaker I really like. 

That said, there has been a set posted on USAM on and off for quite some time.  They are gorgeous.

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2021, 01:23 am »
The Exotica 3 will sound different than the Joseph Audio you are used to, to me they sounded softer with a warmer "musical" presentation. I noticed the difference immediately during the 2014 RMAF when Jim played Nils Lofgren's "Keith Don't Go" . The plucked guitar didn't have the same high-order harmonics as on my HT2-TL speakers, my home system has the same AVA electronics as at the show so it wasn't the front end that changed the presentation. The Exotica 3 would be beautiful playing classical music at concert levels.

Dennis Murphy wrote:
"I must say that I have never heard a dome tweeter that was as accurate in reproducing the sound of a live orchestra as the RAAL.  I'll go out on a limb and say that any preferences you heard for the Exotica were based on the midrange reproduction.  The Exotica tweeter is very smooth, and has a very controlled off-axis response.  But it can't match the extension or dispersion of the RAAL.   A quick A-B between any dome and the RAAL on program material that is rich in very high-order harmonics (cymbals, picollo, triangles) will reveal that in a second."

I'm a fan of a sub with a full range speaker, but the speaker doesn't have to go down to 20 Hz, 34 Hz is deep enough when paired with a REL sub. A REL is sub-bass subwoofer designed to play only 18Hz - 40 Hz. My REL sub is crossed over at 30 Hz, at that frequency placement is not critical, low frequencies are seamless. Once you hear it, you have to have it. The Rythmik's I have heard do not sound the same, I think the REL is faster with a subdued power you can feel, but only when called for. It's like the difference between the AVA Ultravalve and Vision SET 400, at low volumes they sound very similar but the SET 400 has all this power waiting in the wings that makes music flow without limits. A REL Carbon Special uses a modified version of the carbon driver as in my Gibraltar with 1000w vs. 370w Rythmik. Tone has a review: https://www.tonepublications.com/review/the-rel-carbon-limited-subwoofer/

Let us know what you end up with, maybe a SS9.5 if the 8" drivers are no longer available.

salksubs

« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2021, 06:56 pm »
Thanks to all. I believe my questions are answered.  Excellent responses.  Thanks again.