Passive and Active grounding

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Passive and Active grounding
« on: 1 May 2021, 07:00 pm »
 Seeing these products out there. What is the difference between active and passive ground blocks? What are we actually grounding when chassis is already grounded ? It appear that one connects to an unused RCA input and then to ground block ???

charles

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Passive and Active grounding
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2021, 07:07 pm »
What are we actually grounding when chassis is already grounded ?
Usually the chassis are grounded in the power cable 3th pin for safety reasons, which goes to the outlet ground. In the case of an electrical event(short circuit) that needs to use the chassis ground, this voltage must not remain in the chassis for operational and safety reasons, this voltage must leave the chassis through the 3rd pin of the power cable to the wall outlet and to the grounding of the building if any.

Iam not informed about active grounding, but it seems to be a circuit that perform a fancy protection that the passive 3th pin cable already do for free at an extra cost. This link below show grounding for audio cables, various audio cables in the same bar :scratch:, which is a different task than AC power safety.
https://www.synergisticresearch.com/isolation/ground-isolation/active-ground-block/
Some Chinese grounding devices use a copper leaf under some soil inside a wood box with a connecting cable which also seems to be a passive device.
« Last Edit: 2 May 2021, 04:17 am by FullRangeMan »

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2021, 06:03 pm »
What are we actually grounding when chassis is already grounded ?
Usually the chassis are grounded in the power cable 3th pin for safety reasons, which goes to the outlet ground. In the case of an electrical event(short circuit) that needs to use the chassis ground, this voltage must not remain in the chassis for operational and safety reasons, this voltage must leave the chassis through the 3rd pin of the power cable to the wall outlet and to the grounding of the building if any.
This is a great post so far.

I am not informed about active grounding, but it seems to be a circuit that perform a fancy protection that the passive 3th pin cable already do for free at an extra cost. This link below show grounding for audio cables, various audio cables in the same bar :scratch:, which is a different task than AC power safety.
https://www.synergisticresearch.com/isolation/ground-isolation/active-ground-block/
Some Chinese grounding devices use a copper leaf under some soil inside a wood box with a connecting cable which also seems to be a passive device.
These products and ideas are far from great.

Jon L

« Reply #3 on: 3 May 2021, 09:10 pm »
As a general rule, when I read these Ad copies, I find that the likelihood of my purchase is inversely proportional to:
1.  number of self-invented acronyms.   
2.  use of unnecessarily vague and flowery words and phrases, seemingly an attempt to overwhelm and fog simple logic.
3.  use of gargantuan MSRP to shock and awe sane people, which nobody really pays via back channels. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #4 on: 5 May 2021, 08:20 pm »
  Thanks so far. Wondering if additional grounding a benefit or not.

charles

papaned

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jun 2021, 09:42 pm »
I attached a Gutwire Perfect ground cable to one of the unused digital connectors on my OPPO 205 and heard an instant improvement in sonic clarity. It performed as advertised and as reviewed by several reviewers on the internet. In addition, I bought the Groundhog kit from iFi for $50.00 and grounded my preamp through on of the unused analog connectors. Again I noticed a sonic improvement. Not expensive and highly recommended.

navi

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2021, 01:24 am »
By adding more ground points can it have more of a chance of ground loops?

ric

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2021, 01:41 pm »
I too was intrigued by the CAD grounding devise, with the exception of the price, which got me thinking. I use a few High Fidelity products, the MC-0.5 plugs into an unused outlet and "conditions" the sound. Since I have been experimenting with magnets, I tried doing the same thing on an unused input using (4) 1/2"x1.25" N52 cylinder type magnets. I took a cheap rca IC, cut the ends of one end, leaving one hot, one neutral wire for the right input and one hot one neutral for the left input. I attached the magnets (4) to each wire (totaling four wires) and plugged it in to an unused input, and was somewhat astounded by the improvement in sound.