Looking for owners..... X series

jdavis37

Looking for owners..... X series
« on: 15 Apr 2021, 10:22 pm »
Hi.... I live in Western NC and earlier this year was close to pulling the plug on a pair of X5's (though had not ruled out the M3s). I had talked briefly with Clayton, and it seemed either pair would work. Then, life happened, distractions happened and you know the rest.

I realize Spatial has a truly wonderful return policy and for that I am grateful. BUT, I would rather avoid any inconveniences if I can since I don't buy anything with an expectation of return and I'm sure Clayton would really rather not deal with returns of little things like nearly 100 pound speakers!

So, here's the question... my zip is 28739, and if there are any X3, X5 or m3 sapphire owners out there within a 3 or so hour drive of me who could accommodate a fully vaccinated (Covid) person spending a few minutes listening, please give a shout. By the way, that fully vaccinated (covid) person is me! I am curious to hear these guys, and think a brief hearing with my own ears would make me feel safer about buying a pair knowing they will be adopted and not returned! Thx in advance.

doggie

Re: Looking for owners..... X series
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2021, 02:32 am »
If you can stretch that 3 hours a bit you can go to Linear Tube Audio in Tacoma Park, next to DC.

They will make a two hour appointment for you to listen to an M3 Sapphire.

I did that two weeks ago and ordering a pair of X5's from Clayton.

You could also call Clayton and ask him if he would be willing to make an introduction for you to a closer owner.

jdavis37

« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2021, 02:48 am »
If you can stretch that 3 hours a bit you can go to Linear Tube Audio in Tacoma Park, next to DC.

They will make a two hour appointment for you to listen to an M3 Sapphire.

I did that two weeks ago and ordering a pair of X5's from Clayton.

You could also call Clayton and ask him if he would be willing to make an introduction for you to a closer owner.

Doggie,

Thanks. I ran their address via Google maps and say 1 hr 30 minutes.. FLIGHT time lol It says the drive is just short of 8 hours. Ouch.And then I would have to listen to their amps and stuff and you know where that heads :)

I appreciate the information though, very much so. I would actually be tempted to fly out to Clayton's and listen there but there are no direct flights from here and having to hold my breathe the entire trip might be difficult!

Just tell me they have full meat on the bone tone qualities to the vocals, not thin in any way in their sound and not super super difficult to place in the room and I may just go all in.

doggie

« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2021, 01:37 pm »
When I listened to the Sapphires at LTA they had a rich sound with a LTA Z10 Integrated amp(EL84s) and an MDHT DAC which had a 2C51 tube output. I have not received my X5's yet so I will have to report back on those later.

From reading reviews online my guess is that they the X series are very neutral. Sounds like you might enjoy them with tubes or a warm, non-clinical sounding solid state amp.

I was surprised that it would take you 8 hours to DC. We go to Myrtle Beach often and that takes 8 hours. I guess it is because you are farther west in NC?

bbybaudio

« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2021, 05:39 pm »
Google says I am 2hrs 50mins away I have the first pair of X5s produced.

jdavis37

« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2021, 09:04 pm »
When I listened to the Sapphires at LTA they had a rich sound with a LTA Z10 Integrated amp(EL84s) and an MDHT DAC which had a 2C51 tube output. I have not received my X5's yet so I will have to report back on those later.

From reading reviews online my guess is that they the X series are very neutral. Sounds like you might enjoy them with tubes or a warm, non-clinical sounding solid state amp.

I was surprised that it would take you 8 hours to DC. We go to Myrtle Beach often and that takes 8 hours. I guess it is because you are farther west in NC?

Doggie, it surprised me as well but the path getting there is a tad tortuous. No doubt is an interesting place though. There just are not many storefronts any more.

My amp and preamp are not overly clinical (Coda) so I think I'm fine there. Will have to be as anything else bought might have a huge divorce pricetag attached! Thanks for the suggestion though. Was very appreciated.

jdavis37

« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2021, 09:07 pm »
Google says I am 2hrs 50mins away I have the first pair of X5s produced.

Hey now, that is under 3 hours.. gives me 10 minutes to eat lunch :) I would be interested in hearing them if it is something we can arrange. I think just seeing them in person helps but hearing what they are capable of doing is a Godsend. especially if you are still happy with them! Learning about the setup is also helpful!

bbybaudio

« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2021, 01:05 pm »
If interested, send me a PM to arrange a time for you to listen.

jdavis37

« Reply #8 on: 18 Apr 2021, 04:19 am »
If interested, send me a PM to arrange a time for you to listen.

PM sent :) Thx!

jdavis37

« Reply #9 on: 7 May 2021, 10:37 pm »
PM sent :) Thx!

Just a follow up.. just got home from visiting. My biggest thanks for allowing me to visit today and see and hear your wonderful speakers and system!

bbybaudio

« Reply #10 on: 8 May 2021, 12:47 pm »
You are welcome John!

bbybaudio

« Reply #11 on: 9 May 2021, 06:43 pm »
Joh, the finish on my speakers is Cherry.

Krpoin

« Reply #12 on: 10 May 2021, 11:11 am »
I have a pair of X3's and live in the Statesville, NC area; about two hors from Hendersonville for reference. I'm happy for you to come by and listen to the speakers. PM me and we can set it up. 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #13 on: 10 May 2021, 11:29 am »
Krpoin,

Just sent you a pm. I also made the kind acquaintance of jdavis37 as well!

Best,
Anand.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #14 on: 10 May 2021, 04:18 pm »
I have a pair of X3's and live in the Statesville, NC area; about two hors from Hendersonville for reference. I'm happy for you to come by and listen to the speakers. PM me and we can set it up. 

Krpoin, How do you like your X3s in black?  I ordered mine (don't have them yet) in Satin Red.  Curious about paint over the Ultralam wood baffle.  Are you pleased with the X3s?

Thanks Marcus
Las Vegas, NV

jdavis37

« Reply #15 on: 13 May 2021, 10:17 pm »
Joh, the finish on my speakers is Cherry.

Thx Don. Figures it would be a color he no longer sells in the X5. Very nice color to my eyes. I wrote Clayton an email but have not heard back yet. Guessing things are busy! Thanks again for allowing me to visit!

jdavis37

« Reply #16 on: 13 May 2021, 10:18 pm »
Krpoin,

Just sent you a pm. I also made the kind acquaintance of jdavis37 as well!

Best,
Anand.

Anand, your information has been very appreciated! On this end has been a busy week dealing with life stuff but as always I very much appreciate members who reach out to help! John

jdavis37

« Reply #17 on: 13 May 2021, 10:19 pm »

Thanks Kr.. I used to live in Huntersville though with traffic there I'm not sure the drive was any quicker! I'll shoot a PM in a bit. Thx for the offer and your X5s look nice! Course now with no gas in the area!!

Inspiribomb

« Reply #18 on: 14 May 2021, 07:47 pm »

This is a lovely set up.  If I was to spend good money on speakers, it would probably be the Spatial X5's.  I am down in the Fort Mill area and would love to hear these sometime!