EVO dac and digital cables (from DAC to transport)

rird

In this thread the idea is to discuss digital interconnect between EVO dac and your cd transport. In my case CDT 8 Pro.
You may have something else.
Let's talk of personal experiences in your system or a system you have heard.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
System:
Barefoot sound MM27 on dedicated sound anchor stands (mineral filled) and special made deeper spike cups. Speakers connected to PS audio AC-12 mains cables.

EVO dac updated with Muse 02 opamps (bipolar), isolation feets from Entreq under Oak platform, SSC (string suspention concept) platform on Oak platform.
EVO dac further using Black Diamond Racing mk4 pucks and cones.
PS AC-12 power cable.

CDT 8 pro, SSC feets under Oak platform, Solid Tech Disc of silence directly under CDT 8 Pro (3 pack) and Artesania Audio Damper (on top of CDT 8)
AC-12 mains cable.

Room tuning: Svanå miljöteknink V-6 bas absorbers and numerous Gik Acoustics devices.

Interconnects custom xlr all through! (ex interconnects Wireworld gold ecplise 8 (not my cup tea)

My digital cables is and have been (only mention the interesting ones):

1.) Audioquest Raven AES/EBU (full silver cable) 1m.
2.) Cardas Clear AES/EBU (full copper) 1m.
3.) Supra HDMI - HDMI IS2 (IS2 confirmed by Jenvig (1m).

So far Audioquest have been far to pronounced, in short a bit painful and none musical.
Couldn't stand this cable to be honest!
Supra smoother but masterful talking detail and musicality. A winner among these two.
Audioquest is probably 10-15 times more expensive but comes none recommended.

From Cardas to Supra we talk 45-50 Euro (Supra) to 600-650 Euro (Cardas).

What i notice so far is that Cardas is softer not as detailed as IS2 cable. The width,  depth and air is better with with IS2.
IS2 is more of studio sounding as readability is higher than Cardas AES/EBU. The sense of air, resolving power and decay is better with IS2 as it seems.
Cardas have more body but doesn't open up as IS2.

What needs to be mentioned is that the Cardas cable have had no more than hours to settle.

If we go back to Audioquest Raven compared to Cardas, Audioquest would not be recommended. It's overly focus on the top and has a sting (fatigue is a matter of time)
It's not giving harmony to your listening, rather distracting.

Cardas will get more time in the system and i will come back with some updates.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: EVO dac and digital cables (from DAC to transport)
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2021, 01:11 pm »
Hello, rird.

I don’t own an EVO DAC, but I will have a brand new CDT-8 Pro in about 10 days. I’ll be happy to post my impressions (if it’s okay with you) and cabling once my new CDT-8 has burned in a bit.

Michael

rird

« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2021, 03:03 pm »
Hello, rird.

I don’t own an EVO DAC, but I will have a brand new CDT-8 Pro in about 10 days. I’ll be happy to post my impressions (if it’s okay with you) and cabling once my new CDT-8 has burned in a bit.

Michael

Sure, do it! But the idea was really to be able to determine what you/ we notice with EVO dac. Maybe i am a bit off to since i've changed the 3 interchangeable op amps!? I went with Muse 02 over Muse 01 as i wanted more precise rendering of detail and if possible, more punch. 01 is a J-fet and 02 is a bipolar version.

rird

« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2021, 08:53 am »
I maintain that Supra HDMI IS2 cable holds better precision and rendering of detail over Cardas Clear AES/EBU.
It simply is better resolving power from low to the very highest frequencies.
Bare in mind that Cardas cost more than 10 times the cost and i still don't say Supra is better because it is cheaper.
It is the better connection and also the better cable. Of all AES/EBU i have heard, Cardas Clear is best.

I have heard Phasure have a good HDMI cable, how it places itself compared to Supra i do not know.
Personally i wish the EVO dac had been fitted with 2 HDMI IS2 ports.

As for upsample, it really doesn't matter which setting you use, Supra IS2 is better.

Next question would be which OP-amps is the best choice. I don't know which discrete OP-amps can be fitted.
As far as i know, Nuprime only suggest Muse.
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2021, 03:43 pm by rird »

djbnh

« Reply #4 on: 8 May 2021, 10:14 am »
I maintain that Supra HDMI IS2 cable holds better precision and rendering of detail over Cardas Clear AES/EBU.
It simply is better resolving power from low to the very highest frequencies.
Bare in mind that Cardas cost more than 10 times the cost and i still don't say Supra is better because it is cheaper.
It is the better connection and also the better cable. Of all AES/EBU i have heard, Cardas Clear is best...

As for upsample, it really doesn't matter which setting you use, Supra IS2 is better.
Can you please reference which Supra cable you are referring to? Is it this one: "1001100252   HDMI-HDMI 2.1 UHD8K 1M", which falls under this group: "HDMI-HDMI 2.1 UHD8K 0.5M-5M"? Or something else? Thanks for your help with this.

rustydoglim

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2021, 06:48 pm »
Actually doesn't matter the cable's brand, I2S port offers the best connection.

djbnh

« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2021, 08:28 pm »
Actually doesn't matter the cable's brand, I2S port offers the best connection.
Thank you, good to know. I have a Vinshine Audio Pontus II that has an adjustable I2S input (see pg. 11) , which will be helpful where the CDT-10's I2S output is not configured the same as the Pontus.

djbnh

« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2021, 05:21 pm »
Thank you, good to know. I have a Vinshine Audio Pontus II that has an adjustable I2S input (see pg. 11) , which will be helpful where the CDT-10's I2S output is not configured the same as the Pontus.
I2S works great between CDT-10 and Pontus II!

rird

« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2021, 07:30 pm »
Can you please reference which Supra cable you are referring to? Is it this one: "1001100252   HDMI-HDMI 2.1 UHD8K 1M", which falls under this group: "HDMI-HDMI 2.1 UHD8K 0.5M-5M"? Or something else? Thanks for your help with this.

Yes, you are correct regarding Supra.
For no money at all you get a cable that hammer a digital cable (Audioquest Raven) that cost well over 1000 USD.
My next will be Phasure
https://stordiau.com/collections/cables-and-more-snakes-oil/products/hdmi-2-i2s-cable

But first i will see where a Rogue Audio RP-7 preamp takes me.

djbnh

« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2021, 08:46 pm »
Yes, you are correct regarding Supra.
For no money at all you get a cable that hammer a digital cable (Audioquest Raven) that cost well over 1000 USD.
My next will be Phasure
https://stordiau.com/collections/cables-and-more-snakes-oil/products/hdmi-2-i2s-cable

But first i will see where a Rogue Audio RP-7 preamp takes me.
I'm just running the stock I2S cable that came with the CDT-10 (as well as the stock PC) into a Denafrips Pontus II. Sounds nice so far with > 50 hours on the CDT-10 and > 120 hours on the Pontus II. Both units seem to be breaking in w/o a sweat.

rustydoglim

« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2021, 02:46 am »
Great, no need to buy expensive HDMI cable, the free cable work just as good.