Introducing the HAL MS-6 Music Server/Streamer

HAL

Introducing the HAL MS-6 Music Server/Streamer
« on: 25 Feb 2021, 08:34 pm »
The latest HAL Music Server the MS-6 design is complete and running Windows 10 Home 64bit OS.  This system is for folks that do not need a built in DVD drive for ripping CD collections.  An external USB DVD is always possible as provided by the customer for use with programs Exact Audio Copy.

The system is an Intel Atom quad core processor with 4GB or ram and 64GB of SSD.  The unit is very small as shown in the pictures.

The system has been tested with both Foobar2000 and JRiver Media Center 27 for music replay via USB2 Audio with Windows 10 drivers for an external DAC.  This also lets the user run room correction programs like Math Audio Room EQ. 

It has also been tested with Room EQ Wizard for room measurements as needed with a user supplied USB calibrated mic.   It will also work with a user supplies Dayton Audio IMM-6 calibrated mic via the internal sound card for REW measurements.  Calibration data is via Dayton Audio website with the serial number. A standard Apple 4 pin TRRS style extension cable can be used the mic remotely on a stand.

The capabilities are as follows:

For I/O there are 3xUSB2 ports, 1xUSB3 port, Gigabit Ethernet, Bluetooth, WiFi and a simple sound card.  A possible expansion to add a I2S Bus interface is in work.  There is a full size HDMI port for video use and the user supplied keyboard and mouse or trackpad.  I use a Bluetooth keyboard with trackpad as an example.  It will also come with a 45 watt USBC style GaN based SMPS for power. 

The system can be run headless, but for setup the users display, keyboard and mouse are needed. 

The system will come with Foobar2000 as a player and Room EQ Wizard for measurements installed.  Math Audio Room EQ will be setup in Foobar2000 for use.

Any streaming service that has a Windows 10 style program will run on the system, so that is up to the user choice to install.

The basic system price as described above is $450.00 + shipping.  Please contact me for other details.

uncola

Re: Introducing the HAL MS-6 Music Server/Streamer
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2021, 03:26 pm »
Nice to see inexpensive servers..  i2s output would be a major draw

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2021, 04:15 pm »
Wow Richard that is an interesting design. Priced fairly. Good luck. BTW knowing that Hal plays an instrument and knows harmonics and tonality this should sound really good.

charles

HAL

« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb 2021, 04:22 pm »
uncola,
I am trying to get more folks into digital audio with high quality sound at an affordable price.

Charles,
Thanks!  Will be interesting to see what users think with this design.

HAL

« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2021, 01:10 pm »
One of the upgrades to the MS-6 is the iFi iPowerX DC power supply for very low noise power operation. 

The user or I can supply his own iPowerX 9VDC supply and I will send the correct power connector needed to adapt USBC to Coaxial connector.  If I supply the iPowerX and connector it is $110.00 + shipping added to the base price of MS-6.

HAL

« Reply #5 on: 23 Mar 2021, 11:41 am »
The chassis for the HAL MS-6 are starting to arrive and have the SBC's in stock.  Takes a long time in shipping.

Will be sending out two demo units for feedback as soon as they are built.  The first version will not have the I2S Bus interface, but that can be added later once completed.  The chassis has to be drilled for the connector, so it will need to be shipped.

HAL

« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 2021, 02:17 pm »
The HAL MS-6 chassis are finally arriving and have built the first production unit.  For the first 4 customers of the system, it will come with a Dayton Audio iMM-6 calibrated measurement mic.  REW and MathAudio are installed and the microphone cal data file is installed for the mic for measurements. 

Here is a simple test of the mic and the MS-6 internal sound card for REW measurements.  The iMM-6 is connected to the MS-6 TRRS connector.  The other connector for the mic is if you want to use only the MS-6 to measure, a TRS stereo 3.5mm jack is available for line output to the external system and speakers.  If the system has a USB DAC, then that can also be the signal source.

uncola

« Reply #7 on: 24 Mar 2021, 03:00 pm »
that's cool that it has a TRRS input for the dayton imm6 microphone, that's not a common input. 

HAL

« Reply #8 on: 24 Mar 2021, 06:59 pm »
Yes, and they are easy to find extension TRRS cables on Amazon for the calibrated mic for remote measurements. 

HAL

« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2021, 12:19 pm »
The production HAL MS-6 Music Servers systems are now available to purchase for $450.00+shipping.

It will be loaded with Foobar2000 for music replay along with MathAudio RoomEQ for room measurements and correction.  Also Room EQ Wizard will be installed for room measurements.

The first 4 systems sold will come with the Dayton Audio iMM-6 calibrated measurement mic.  You will need to supply an extension TRRS cable like for an iPhone and mic clip to remote the mic for measurements.

Please contact me via a message to purchase.

HAL

« Reply #10 on: 22 Apr 2021, 01:24 pm »
Sending out three HAL MS-6 Music Servers today for friends and customers.   :thumb:

Looking forward to their MS-6 system feedback. 

HAL

« Reply #11 on: 23 Apr 2021, 01:18 am »
The three MS-6 systems going to their new owners and should be there next week,

HAL

« Reply #12 on: 26 Apr 2021, 12:03 pm »
Another HAL MS-6 shipping out today. 

This is the third one with the Dayton Audio iMM-6 calibrated measurement mic.  The next MS-6 sold is the last with the iMM-6 mic for the introductory sales.

HAL

« Reply #13 on: 28 Apr 2021, 12:57 am »
First two HAL MS-6's are at their new owners places and first one is up and running.  The first owner is experimenting with MathAudio RoomEQ measurement capabilities with the Foorbar2000 player.

The second one is received and for use when ready.

The third unit is a demo and should be at its destination on Thursday.  Looking forward to seeing the comments when it is installed and playing music.

drmike

« Reply #14 on: 30 Apr 2021, 04:43 pm »
can it run logitech media server. can it be powered by a 9v amb sigma 11?
thjanks,
drmike

HAL

« Reply #15 on: 30 Apr 2021, 05:57 pm »
Since the system is running Windows 10 CU 20H2 64bit OS, it will run Logitech Media Server for Windows as any PC system.

The HAL MS-6 runs on USBC power and auto switches from 5V to 9V to 12V as the CPU needs since it is PD compliant and at least 9VDC@4Amp output.  The SlimQ SMPS is USBC PD compliant and can source up to 45watts of power with GaN output device technology.

I have used it with an iFi iPowerX 9VDC supply that works with a coaxial to USBC adapter.  The stock SlimQ 45watt PS does just as well.

HAL

« Reply #16 on: 7 May 2021, 07:21 pm »
Feedback on one of the first 4 system is that the HAL MS-6 is working well with Roon in a system for headphone playback.   That is usually the easiest way to hear if a system is working well for digital replay. 

Another system is up and running.  Looking forward to feedback on that setup as well!

Made my week!   :thumb:

HAL

« Reply #17 on: 14 May 2021, 03:40 pm »
First HAL MS-6 review by Pez on AC:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=176302.0

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #18 on: 14 May 2021, 08:48 pm »
For the money how could one go wrong ? Knowing Hals expertise and musicianship should sound just fine.

charles

HAL

« Reply #19 on: 14 May 2021, 09:07 pm »
Thanks Charles! :D