Any chance we'll see a 45, 2A3, 300B or similar amp coming in the future?

Wolf Ear Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Wolf Ear Audio
I'm asking this out of ignorance, so don't take it wrong, please.

Wouldn't the 24-step attenuator cause a big jump in volume with each step up? Would a 48 or 64-step control offer greater volume control?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Separate question:

What would be the dimensions of such a case?

Regards,

Michael
For the stepped attenuator the audio curve I designed on this one is similar to the Alps Blue Velvet potentiometer audio curve. It averages about 2db between each step and it is more accurate, but theres no reason I couldn't use a potentiometer (smooth volume control) if you prefer. More steps mean finer control but I would still use the same audio curve.
Dimensions would be the similar to the Kitoki, but the output and mains transformer would be on top for size reasons.

Tomy2Tone

For the stepped attenuator the audio curve I designed on this one is similar to the Alps Blue Velvet potentiometer audio curve. It averages about 2db between each step and it is more accurate, but theres no reason I couldn't use a potentiometer (smooth volume control) if you prefer. More steps mean finer control but I would still use the same audio curve.
Dimensions would be the similar to the Kitoki, but the output and mains transformer would be on top for size reasons.

Hi Andrew, do you offer a remote for volume control if requested?

Wolf Ear Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Wolf Ear Audio
Hi Andrew, do you offer a remote for volume control if requested?
Not at the moment. I'm not sure if I will for some time, but if demand is high enough I would look into it.

Nidri17

I think there's lots of good KT88/6550 amps out there already, and they're more limited in power.  I think the high powered KT150 fills a gap, particularly for people with more power-hungry speakers (ie, the vast majority of people).

Indeed.

In addition to the models already mentioned, I found this Italian-made design offering 30wpc from 2 x KT150's:

https://www.gabrisamp.it/negozio-online/nuovo/calypso-kt150/

This goes for $2,500+ (equivalent) - as another point of comparison.
It's pretty big (380mm x 460mm x 210mm).
Quite heavy at almost 60lbs (27kg).
& Doesn't offer Triode/UL switching either.

The projected specs for the Wolf Ear seem more attractive to me.
More versatility, lower weight, etc.

(Just my impression, I'm not making any assumptions or claims about the sound quality of either product.)

Wolf Ear Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Wolf Ear Audio
Indeed.

In addition to the models already mentioned, I found this Italian-made design offering 30wpc from 2 x KT150's:

https://www.gabrisamp.it/negozio-online/nuovo/calypso-kt150/

This goes for $2,500+ (equivalent) - as another point of comparison.
It's pretty big (380mm x 460mm x 210mm).
Quite heavy at almost 60lbs (27kg).
& Doesn't offer Triode/UL switching either.

The projected specs for the Wolf Ear seem more attractive to me.
More versatility, lower weight, etc.

(Just my impression, I'm not making any assumptions or claims about the sound quality of either product.)
Alright, I'm thinking about going ahead with this design but I'm still a bit unsure. It would likely replace my Makoyi as far as headphone amps go while also filling a gap for integrated speaker amps.
I only have parts for a few Makoyi amps left so this would be an easy enough decision for me (I can also give a decent discount to any of our Audio Circle members to help clear out stock as well, just e-mail or message me).
If I do commit to doing a small batch of this new amp (10-25 completed amps) I may have to do a Kickstarter or similar in order to fund the production of it since the transformers, tubes and general parts for this design are going to be very costly for me.
Or I could sell them semi-custom amps like I already do with the Makoyi and Natayo, but that would increase the price since I wouldn't get the same kind of bulk discounts. I would be interested in knowing what people would prefer :)

15invo

I'll  be interested in the kickstarter !

Greydogs

Hi,
I recognize this is an old thread, but is there any chance this integrated KT150 amp will be released? Sounds like a great idea. Icon audio has a similar KT150 amp, but this amp sounds great in price and features.