SPDIF iPurifier

Tomy2Tone

Re: SPDIF iPurifier
« Reply #20 on: 19 Feb 2017, 11:24 pm »
You must get this right....it is not EARSD40......it is EARSD40AL......a world of difference.  The AL stands for aluminum....there is a 5 mil thick layer on top....the stuff without the aluminum sounds like polymer (plastic like).

You cut and stick on.  It has sticky backing.  You run it between all surfaces....for instance along the IFI body and bend it right angle and run it on to the power connector.  You wrap the ground part of the rca connector with it....well, it does not bend very well but even just wrapping as far as you can will do the job.

EARSD40AL available from Michael Percy Audio....no where else that I know of.

Gotcha, thanks for the explanation.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #21 on: 19 Feb 2017, 11:25 pm »

You must get this right....it is not EARSD40......it is EARSD40AL......a world of difference.  The AL stands for aluminum....there is a 5 mil thick layer on top....the stuff without the aluminum sounds like polymer (plastic like).

You cut and stick on.  It has sticky backing.  You run it between all surfaces....for instance along the IFI body and bend it right angle and run it on to the power connector.  You wrap the ground part of the rca connector with it....well, it does not bend very well but even just wrapping as far as you can will do the job.

Thanks for that! A quick search using just EARSD40 didn't yield much. Maybe not having the AL on the end didn't help. :duh:
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2017, 06:49 pm by rajacat »

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #22 on: 24 Feb 2017, 09:27 pm »
Any more feedback on this device? The long break-in period kinda puts me off. If I got one I'd probably try to find something aside from my audio rig for the burn in.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #23 on: 24 Feb 2017, 10:03 pm »
Only one person has commented about long burn in.  I found it OK right away and after mods was outrageously good.....no burn in at all in either case.  If it sounds better after 200 hours than OMG>>>>>OMFG!!!!  Mods always trump burn in.  But burn in does exist. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #24 on: 12 Mar 2017, 07:35 pm »
  It sounds VG out of the box. However just better after 200 hours. More open. Rick like the dampening idea. Rick could you post a picture of your efforts ?

charles
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2017, 06:29 pm by rollo »

Ric Schultz

« Reply #25 on: 17 Mar 2017, 03:46 am »
I will have pics on my website on how to damp them soon.  I am also offering to mod them by removing the toslink connector and the LED that shows lock/frequency and hardwiring the power supply to the cable going into the Ipurifier (these plus the damping = major/significant improvements).  You can alternatively damp the extra power connector for better sound....but no connector sounds even better.  Damping makes the most difference and it does not void the warrantee.....so I will have close up pics on exactly what to do.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #26 on: 17 Mar 2017, 07:07 pm »
I will have pics on my website on how to damp them soon.  I am also offering to mod them by removing the toslink connector and the LED that shows lock/frequency and hardwiring the power supply to the cable going into the Ipurifier (these plus the damping = major/significant improvements).  You can alternatively damp the extra power connector for better sound....but no connector sounds even better.  Damping makes the most difference and it does not void the warrantee.....so I will have close up pics on exactly what to do.

Gee wiz what a surprise.  :roll: :lol: Just knew it was coming. Good find however, thanks.

charles

rodge827

SET Man

« Reply #28 on: 5 Oct 2019, 02:26 am »
Hey!

OK, this is an old news for most here. But! I just learned about this little device a few months ago. Well, I've been out of the audio loop for awhile, I don't check out audio magazine or audio sites much these days, including this site.

I don't remembered where I first learned about this thingy. Well, it had been out for what? 3 years now? Anyway, after some research I found that there is an iFi circle here! I've read all the posts here and was fascinated by it, this reminded me of the Genesis Digital Lens... remember that one?

A little over a weeks ago I picked one up, used in like new condition with all accessories . So, what do I think of it? Well, I gave it a listen and yes I noticed some changes but I was mixed about it at the end. Since I got it used I have no idea how long it had been used so I have been burning it in with CD in repeat non stop for almost a week now.

Anyway, I haven't listen to it again yet. I'll do so soon and I can write more in detail, maybe start a new review post or should I write it here?

Buddy

audioengr

« Reply #29 on: 5 Oct 2019, 07:02 pm »
This is a great product for use with home theater.  It reduces jitter of the Dolby Digital and DTS signals, unlike most reclockers.  I actually use two in series and its better than just one.  I use my Dynamo LPS to power it.  Great for the Blu-Ray, Cable box or Smart TV.

SET Man

« Reply #30 on: 8 Oct 2019, 09:03 pm »
This is a great product for use with home theater.  It reduces jitter of the Dolby Digital and DTS signals, unlike most reclockers.  I actually use two in series and its better than just one.  I use my Dynamo LPS to power it.  Great for the Blu-Ray, Cable box or Smart TV.

Hey!

Hmmm... two of them piggybacked. That's interesting, wonder what 3 three will do. I'm using the supplied power supply, but I though about running it off the batteries since my DAC is running off batteries, but I'll have to built a voltage regulator for it.

Anyway, after a week of breaking in I listened to it again in my system for a few hours, but casually this time though. With all the great reviews I've seen on this little thingy, I had high hope and expectation. Even after break in I'm still not sure what to think of it, but will do a more serious listening soon.

Buddy

iFi David

• Facilitator
  • iFi audio NEO Stream is here!
    • iFi audio
« Reply #31 on: 21 Jun 2020, 09:29 pm »
Folks, just an update:

Our SPDIF iPurifier2 just launched!

For more details, please go here:

https://ifi-audio.com/products/spdif-ipurifier2/

Jon L

« Reply #32 on: 21 Jun 2020, 10:05 pm »
Folks, just an update:

Our SPDIF iPurifier2 just launched!

For more details, please go here:

https://ifi-audio.com/products/spdif-ipurifier2/

I would have been so much more excited about this if it came with full-size toslink jacks, not the mini-toslink ones  :cry:

iFi David

• Facilitator
    • iFi audio
« Reply #33 on: 22 Jun 2020, 10:19 pm »
I would have been so much more excited about this if it came with full-size toslink jacks, not the mini-toslink ones  :cry:

I hear you, if we could accommodate a full-sized toslink socket, we would. But in spite of it, SPDIF iPurifier2 is quite the piece of work considering its tiny enclosure :wink:

jriggy

« Reply #34 on: 24 Dec 2020, 03:22 pm »
I just found out there’s a new version. Will def pick up the “2” for my other DAC. I use one with an AppleTV for casual daytime streaming of SiriusXM and it is essential for better quality sound out the Apple.

ajzepp

« Reply #35 on: 24 Dec 2020, 05:06 pm »
I have to admit I really like this product, as well. The tv I have in my main 2channel system only has an optical out. Adding the iPurifier2 before the DAC seems to have made an audible difference. Vocals are super crisp, and the overall dynamics have improved. I only use this connection for tv and movies, so I wasnt sure the cost would be justified, but I plan on keeping it.

iFi David

• Facilitator
    • iFi audio
« Reply #36 on: 5 Jan 2021, 05:59 pm »
I just found out there’s a new version. Will def pick up the “2” for my other DAC. I use one with an AppleTV for casual daytime streaming of SiriusXM and it is essential for better quality sound out the Apple.

Thanks for your feedback!

I have to admit I really like this product, as well. The tv I have in my main 2channel system only has an optical out. Adding the iPurifier2 before the DAC seems to have made an audible difference. Vocals are super crisp, and the overall dynamics have improved. I only use this connection for tv and movies, so I wasnt sure the cost would be justified, but I plan on keeping it.

Good to know, enjoy  :)

walkern

« Reply #37 on: 10 May 2021, 02:45 pm »
I read a DAC review in Stereophile a month or two ago, and the reviewer just casually mentioned that he was using an iFi SPDIF purifier and thought it was indispensable.  Considering the nature of the products he was reviewing (expensive) and the relative price of the iFi unit my curiosity was piqued.  After doing a little reading here I decided to pull the trigger and try out the Purifier 2.  I have a large CD collection and listen to them via an Oppo BDP 103 transport feeding a mildly tweaked MHDT Havana DAC (NOS dual mono Burr Brown PCM 256P DAC chips and a tube output stage). This set up has been the most musical sounding affordable combo I’ve found.  When I added the iFi to the mix, everything got better… and not just a little better… significantly better.

Issues or problems that I thought were just endemic to CD listening vanished or were greatly diminished.  Let me be more specific:

The congestion I’ve always noticed during loud dynamic peaks, particularly with large orchestral or big band sized groups playing is darn near gone now.

The sizzle or grit that seems to get added to cymbals and bells has been erased and replaced with a beautiful natural sounding shimmer. Cymbals sound like brass again.

The screech that often accompanies violins and trumpets in their upper ranges has been replaced with natural tones. Same story for piccolos and flutes.

The transient attack of pretty much everything (from snare drums to organs) is cleaned up and more precisely articulated. Dynamic swings and PRAT seem more obvious or clear.

The sustain or harmonic overtones of notes from instruments of all sorts seems to decay more gradually and naturally.

Images are not more precisely placed in the soundstage, but seem to have a more corporal character.  The differences among studio, live, and carefully mic’d recordings are clearer too.

Bass seems more extended, less murky, and has more visceral impact.

Highs seem more ethereal and also more extended.

Instruments sound more realistic… more like how they sound at a live concert.

Lastly, the level of overall improvement isn’t subtle, barely perceptible, or a hit-or-miss mix of pros and cons.  Adding the iFi is comparable to a significant system/component upgrade, well beyond a cable change or bypass cap tweak. I can’t believe it can do all this for peanuts.  And the improvements were clear and obvious right out of the box.  Don’t know if it will get better with break in, but if it does, Holy S**T!

ric

« Reply #38 on: 11 May 2021, 03:08 pm »
great, thanks for the review! i've been curious, and make take the plunge, having money back guarantee's help, too!

dflee

« Reply #39 on: 21 Sep 2021, 10:02 pm »
Original vs 2
I will only be using the spdif in and out. What's the difference between the two?
The original is going for a cheaper cost.
Thanks
Don