FRANKENSTRATOS ( LATEST UPGRADES)

OSIB16

Re: FRANKENSTRATOS ( LATEST UPGRADES)
« Reply #40 on: 4 May 2015, 06:14 pm »
Without measurements you are just throwing money at the walls and hoping for a positive change. Knowledge about what the room is doing acoustically as far as room modes and the full spectrum settling time the room has, RT60 time, are vital pieces of information. Without this you can spend money on room treatments that will actually hurt the existing sound you already have.
 This is a whole area of our hobby dealing with how the room interacts with your speaker system and influences the end sonic result you hear, that you currently lack a working knowledge of.
 Becoming familiar with the REW program, or a like program, and taking room measurements will give you vital information necessary for making an informed purchase of acoustical treatments.
Scotty

I'll look into it, thanks for the heads up

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #41 on: 4 May 2015, 06:28 pm »
Just to be clear (speaking for myself), you've put together an amazing system.  You've totally maxed out the system from the speakers and components standpoint, so I have no doubt it sounds amazing, far better than most other systems would sound in that room. 

Now that you've accomplished that, it's time to turn to the one area that is not maximized yet - the room.  The good news is that planars and stats tend to interact with the side walls less than most box speakers, so that is good.  The downside is that they interact even more with the front wall than box speakers do.  So that is why getting things out from between them and doing a bit of front wall treatment is useful.

RDavidson

« Reply #42 on: 5 May 2015, 07:01 pm »
Actually, Tyson, what you say is true to electrostats in general, BUT MLs (and Sound-Labs) are a little different. Their curved panels will project sounds toward the side walls more than their flat panel brethren.

On the flip side, literally and figuratively, the panel's curve will cause some of their back projected sound to cancel at a certain distance. I think the OP said ML recommends no less than 3' of space behind the speakers. I'm not sure if this is a model specific or general recommendation. The minimum distance (for some back projected sounds to cancel) would vary, based on the radius of the panel.

Beyond all this, measurements and room treatments WILL help (particularly behind the speakers). I just wanted to point out some further considerations that may be somewhat ML specific.

OSIB16

« Reply #43 on: 14 May 2021, 11:52 am »
Hi everyone. I just wanted to add some new photos on this thread to show the latest updates to this project (just for future reference). The front panel repainted in silver. The lid with machine cut openings, painted in gold. A new badge created for the front.

OSIB16

« Reply #44 on: 14 May 2021, 11:55 am »

OSIB16

« Reply #45 on: 14 May 2021, 11:58 am »
More images…

GeneS

« Reply #46 on: 14 May 2021, 12:41 pm »
Astounding!  :o

Chewbacca

« Reply #47 on: 14 May 2021, 01:13 pm »
Wow... Work of art! Well done! :thumb:

Audio72

« Reply #48 on: 14 May 2021, 04:41 pm »
Awesome  :o :o :o :bowdown:

Chewbacca

« Reply #49 on: 14 May 2021, 04:53 pm »

OSIB16

« Reply #50 on: 14 May 2021, 05:53 pm »
 :D :D Thanks. As for the overall look, I was inspired by the SILVER/GOLD FINISH of Musical Fidelity Nu Vista amps, as well as the Steampunk stuff
« Last Edit: 15 May 2021, 03:21 am by OSIB16 »

OSIB16

« Reply #51 on: 14 May 2021, 05:54 pm »

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #52 on: 15 May 2021, 02:34 am »

Nick B

« Reply #53 on: 15 May 2021, 04:18 pm »
More images…

A+ on that look  :thumb: