Xmax value for Model 7F, 7A drivers

ghostlinker

Xmax value for Model 7F, 7A drivers
« on: 21 Sep 2013, 03:25 pm »
Hi,

I am planning to build speakers with the Model 7F driver. I am missing the Xmax value and not sure if Exm - 0.587 in inches is the right value.
The plan is to build a bookshelf speaker and I need to validate which size is possible with this driver. If box plans with good reviews are available, don't hesitate to share ;)

thanks

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: Xmax value for Model 7F, 7A drivers
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2013, 04:16 pm »
Hello ghostlinker,

Check out this page on the Omega website, fourth speaker down with the 7F driver (for now until more speakers get added).  It may give you a starting point.
http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com/omeganow.html

Louis O

« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2013, 10:49 pm »
Hi ghostlinker,

Many thanks for your post and the Xmax for either the Model 7F or 7A is 2mm.

Canada Rob's suggestion is great and this cabinet uses the Model 7F. They are about 30 liters in volume. The drivers can support much more for even deeper bass. please let me know what style of cabinet you are looking for and I can put together the figures for you.

Thanks again,
Louis

ghostlinker

« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2013, 03:37 am »
Thanks Louis.

I would like to build a bookshelf speaker or a small standmount. I am not expecting deep bass coming out of a smaller box, so the compromise is OK. Looks like the best results for the 7F start at 32.5 liters. The Type 1 Monitor (23x11.5x11) from Hoyt-Bedford is a bit too large with 47.5 liters.
If we use 18H x 9W x 12D, it will be 32 liters, but I do not know if the proportions will look good or balanced.
Let me know what are the possible options for these requirements.

Thanks  :)

Claudio

Louis O

« Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2013, 11:48 pm »
Hi Claudio,

Thanks and I have gotten great results as low as 25 liters as well. When you are calculating box volume please remember the board thickness as well. If you use 3/4 stock deduct 1.5 inches from the panel lengths.

I have built the 7F in cabinets that measured 18" High x 9" wide x 15" deep which yielded 27.4 liters if you use 3/4 stock.

This is also just under 1 cubic foot.

Small standmount modeled after the Super 3 S with a wider baffle and a deeper side would also be great.

35" tall x 9" Wide x 10" deep. You can rear, front or bottom fire the port.

The volume internally would be 35 liters.

Thanks,
Louis