Ready to make the leap/ real coffee

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Ready to make the leap/ real coffee
« Reply #20 on: 21 Mar 2019, 03:21 am »
Dave, would you consider sharing with us which machine you chose? There certainly are many to pick from.

I wouldn't recommend exactly what I have, but if I were to buy again I'd probably go with Londinium or a similar machine that uses the Bosco spring-lever group. Spring levers have a desirable declining pressure profile built-in and don't require backflushing, so less cleaning required. They also look cool. :)

MttBsh

« Reply #21 on: 21 Mar 2019, 03:51 am »
I wouldn't recommend exactly what I have, but if I were to buy again I'd probably go with Londinium or a similar machine that uses the Bosco spring-lever group. Spring levers have a desirable declining pressure profile built-in and don't require backflushing, so less cleaning required. They also look cool. :)

The Londinium R sure is a good looking machine and I like the idea of a manual lever for at least part of the operation. Apparently the results are stellar. I think I may have to start saving up for one. Thanks for the tip!

johnto

« Reply #22 on: 21 Mar 2019, 11:56 am »
If you're going for espresso don't overlook the La Pavoni machines, fully manual but lots of fun once you get the process down ( which doesn't take long). They make great tasting espresso.

twitch54

« Reply #23 on: 21 Mar 2019, 12:59 pm »
Ok ... I am ready to start making a real cup of coffee!!!
I am using a Keurig right now . :duh:

the Remington 'I coffee' is a far superior machine, actually makes a good cup-o-joe

I only drink one cup a day.

LOL, you are not a coffee drinker .....

I use 2% milk instead of half and half creamer which is fattening. But half and half is sooooo yummy!!!
I also have been using Equal for sweetener. Should I move to sugar for more natural flavor?
Any thoughts / adviice is welcome !!

Todd, this is the part that cracked me up, reminded me of the wackos that go to Starbucks, they don't drink coffee, rather flavored sugar drinks. One thing to remember, a reason one adds some cream to their coffee is for the smoothing effect that it has over milk because of the 'fat'. A dollop of light cream does this best IMO. Again adding extra 2% does nothing, like so many people that have some coffee with their milk ............

avta

« Reply #24 on: 21 Mar 2019, 01:08 pm »
I also made the switch to an espresso machine many years ago after enjoying French press coffee for years. I have a DeLonghi Magnifica which I bought for $500 on Amazon. It makes very good espresso and milk drinks, was easy to learn and I found the customer service excellent when a few minor issues arose. I've tried lots of different beans ( it has a built in grinder ) which is fun. The quality of the drinks is far better than most commercial coffee houses I've been to. My machine is about 6 yrs old and still running strong with all the original parts.

stlrman

« Reply #25 on: 21 Mar 2019, 01:42 pm »
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone near me just sold a  Techivorm  Mocamaster for $25 !!!!!!!! Missed it by two days. This is my Craigslist luck it seems.

I did some research on this machine. Wow!! Maybe one day.

For now , I look forward to the process of grinding the bean properly, seeing to rich color in the glass , plunging at the right time. I will get a pour over and Aeropress ,sometime down the road.
An espresso machine is in the far off future as well.
I have been researching milk steamers and frothers.
I am going to move to real sugar as I'm sure Equal offers an artificial taste.

Thanks again for all the fantastic feedback. Yins are awesome!!! :thumb: :thumb:

randytsuch

« Reply #26 on: 21 Mar 2019, 02:37 pm »
On freezing, I freeze because I'm cheap.
I can buy a 5 lb bag of pretty good quality beans with free shipping for a pretty good price.
So I buy 5 lbs, vacuum pack as soon as I can, freeze.  Then to use, thaw completely before opening the bag so you don't get condensation on the beans.
The vacuum pack step is also important, IMHO, I wouldn't freeze otherwise.
And I'm sure I lose a little by freezing, its a compromise I'm willing to make.

Otherwise, I'd buy 12oz bags of Stumptown or Intelly or something like that and use as soon as I buy.
The logistics of that would be more of a pain too though.  Either more trips to the store/coffee place, or have periodic shipments made.

On espresso.  IMHO, I'd stay away from a SBDU type machine.  I started with a Gaggia Classic, which is a Single Boiler, Dual Use.  The problem is you have to make the espresso, then push a button and wait for the machine to heat up to make steam, and then steam your milk.  But of course SBDU machines are cheaper. 

I have a HX (heat exchanger) machine, an Expobar Office.  Its a lower end HX, but I've added a thermocouple to read the water temp out of the group head, so it's easy to get it to the right temp to pull a shot.  And you can steam while you're pulling the shot, so making a Cap is quick and easy.  You can also go Double Boiler, but bigger and more expensive.
Its been years since I've really looked at machines, and there are newer ones out.

You also need a good grinder for espresso.  The grinder for espresso is more important than the machine, without a capable grinder you can't pull a decent shot with any repeatability.  I have a Baratza Vario, its a nice grinder for home use.  But it was also quite a bit cheaper when I bought mine.

I will rotate through different ways of making coffee, right now I'm making caps mainly.  Sometimes drip if I'm in a rush in the morning.  Aeropress, pour over, mokka pot, French press are waiting for their turns lol.

To a purist, a frother is cheating.  You can't get microfoam with a frother, and you can't do art without microfoam.  My art sucks, and I don't always get microfoam, but once in a while I can make something lol.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #27 on: 21 Mar 2019, 02:40 pm »
The Londinium R sure is a good looking machine and I like the idea of a manual lever for at least part of the operation. Apparently the results are stellar. I think I may have to start saving up for one. Thanks for the tip!

No problem! There are others that don't have pump preinfusion like the Profitec. I have been told that pump preinfusion is best for lighter roasts, which I prefer, but I can also preinfuse using line pressure and I'm not sure there is a huge difference.

Neither are cheap, but should be an investment that will last decades.

mick wolfe

« Reply #28 on: 21 Mar 2019, 04:03 pm »
In regard to the Technivorm, I've had one for years. It's a great machine especially if you're looking to make a pot of coffee as opposed to a single serve.  That said, overall I prefer the results from single serve options like the AeroPress.  Like others have said already, find a good local roaster and buy your beans fresh. Coffee storage is also a bit tricky. A canister with a one way valve built in is a good place to start. Coffee has a limited lifespan even when properly stored. Only buy an amount you would normally consume within a week to 10 days tops. When you've mastered all of the above, you might consider roasting your own beans at some point. This is without a doubt, the ultimate coffee challenge.... at least it has been for me.

Mudslide

« Reply #29 on: 21 Mar 2019, 05:41 pm »
There are many ways to cook a steak.  But the best tasting from these modes always includes the best steak.  The same is true of coffee.  Get some great coffee and brew it in any manner you choose and you will be wowed compared to the cheap or not fresh stuff. 

I have been drinking coffee for 60 years.  Realizing that we all have different taste preferences, I found a source that wows us...Sisters Coffee.  (I have no stake in this company.)  It is QUITE popular here in the northwest.  I won't wax on about the coffee...each should try for themselves.  But I do suggest that you try it or at least check 'em out.  https://www.sisterscoffee.com/about

And by the way, I've come to believe that this coffee 'hobby' is similar to speakers.  There is a diminishing return on investment toward better tasting coffee.  And lots of folks spend big dough on the appearance of their appliance...but it's for show, only.

Enjoy!

twitch54

« Reply #30 on: 21 Mar 2019, 06:36 pm »
thanks for the link mudslide, I just might give them a try (Sumatra)

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #31 on: 21 Mar 2019, 07:27 pm »
I'm still happily enjoying my all glass and metal Kitchen Aid burr grinder and my lovely aeropress.  Makes a perfect cup of coffee for my tastes.  I've tried a bunch of other methods but I keep coming back to these 2. 

I have NOT tried the Technivorm - I might have to give it a go someday if for no other reason than it looks super cool (at least to my minimalist sensibilities it does).

stlrman

« Reply #32 on: 21 Mar 2019, 09:09 pm »
I’m in business!!  :thumb:
The Veken FP is very sharp looking!!!! I love the bean spoon , wooden ladel, and frothed all came with it , and a cleaning sponge .
The JapaPresse is sharp and very portable..
My wife had the scale .
Please don’t ask what I got for beans . Lol...  let’s just say a medium blend Arabica

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #33 on: 22 Mar 2019, 02:19 am »
That's a nice set at a very reasonable price. 
Now, find a local roaster and your in business. 

stlrman

« Reply #34 on: 22 Mar 2019, 01:50 pm »
Success!! :thumb:
Rich , robust , smooth , very smooth , lots of flavor !!!
I did over sugar it a bit .
The grinder was fast and easy .
Did 23 grams of bean to 16 ounces  of coffee.
Yum!!!!

randytsuch

« Reply #35 on: 22 Mar 2019, 02:36 pm »
Success!! :thumb:
Rich , robust , smooth , very smooth , lots of flavor !!!
I did over sugar it a bit .
The grinder was fast and easy .
Did 23 grams of bean to 16 ounces  of coffee.
Yum!!!!

Now go find some good, freshly roasted beans!!

One warning, after getting used to good coffee, a cup of supermarket coffee will taste REALLY nasty lol

johnto

« Reply #36 on: 17 Jun 2019, 07:00 pm »
If you want great beans roasted or green check out Lens coffee. He has a store in Medford Ma and does a karge mail order business. Very knowledgeable so don't be afraid to call or email for recommendations based on what you're looking for taste wise.