Apple Mac mini system descriptions

low.pfile

Re: Apple Mac mini system descriptions
« Reply #20 on: 9 Apr 2008, 05:03 pm »

My Mac Mini Audio System Description:

• Mac mini processor model: 1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
My Mac Audio System Description:
Mac model and processor:  G5, Dual 1.8Ghz

So Melo, is your music duplicated on your two separate mac systems? or are the mini and G5 sharing drives?

Ed

melomaniac

« Reply #21 on: 11 Apr 2008, 07:23 pm »
right now, they're quasi-duplicated. they're not sharing drives. I might stop using the mini for music and make it movie-only (using front row and matinee and the little remote), and store the music on the G5, since I have two squeezeboxes and they are basically not much worse than the built-in USB DACs in either amp.

davehg

• http://musicserver.blogspot.com
« Reply #22 on: 24 Apr 2008, 10:19 pm »

Mac mini[/i] processor model: Power PC 1.8
Operating system version:10.3
Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID):60gb int/ 2 La Cie 250 gb external to store music(one is backup)
Internal memory installed:1GB

• Monitor/keyboard:View Sonic/Apple
  • Wireless hardware: Netgear router/hub
    • Software music player(s): Slimserver
    • Other method of controlling the mac mini (Squeezebox SB3, with Bolder dig mods, and Deluze PS)

• Amplifier, and type: Air Tight ATM3 tube monoblocks
      • Pre amplifier:Air Tight ATC3 Tube
        • External DAC: Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 Tube DAC
        • Speakers in this system:Merlin TSM-mme/REL Strata III sub
          • Interconnect types:Acoustic Zen Silver Ref, Hologram II, Cardas Golden Ref Power cords, FOundation Research LC1 and LC2 Power cords

• Location of the mac mini (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet):In the room, wirelessly accesses Netgear router, SB3 hooke up via ethernet cable

I also have a Mac Mini 2.0 Duo that I use for the household. The Power PC mini is strictly used for the music server and to control a keyboard for garageband hijinks. It works fine for music server duty, a bit slow to rip CD's in iTunes to WAV format, but otherwise, plenty fine for music server duty. Unless your mac mini does double duty elsewhere, I see no reason to upgrade or use a faster version.

proftournesol

« Reply #23 on: 15 Jun 2008, 05:44 am »

• Mac mini processor model:

MacMini Intel Core Duo 2.0
  • Operating system version:
OSX 10.5.3
  • Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID):

160GB internal + 500GB external
  • Internal memory installed:

1GB
[/list]

• Monitor/keyboard:

wireless keyboard + mouse, Sony Bravia 46" LCD monitor, Elgato USB TC stick + EyeTV
  • Wireless hardware:
  • Software music player(s):

iTunes

• Other method of controlling the mac mini (VNC, custom remotes, etc):

Mac remote or remote access from another Mac using screen sharing
[/list]

• Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated):

Avantgarde Solo speakers (active) with 250W tranny amps

• Pre amplifier:

passive

• External DAC:

Alltmann BYOB DAC connected by Toslink

• Other component(s) in chain between mini and speakers:

none

• Speakers in this system:

Avantgarde Solo

• Interconnect types between mac mini and X:

Toslink cable

• Location of the mac mini (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet):

in stereo cabinet
[/list]

Also provide comments on these:

a. If applicable, what is custom in this mac mini system?
b. What feature or function would you add to the mac mini if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range?

RCA outputs or SPDIF digital output
HDMA connector

c. The part of your mac mini system that gives YOU the most satifaction/enjoyment ?

integration into my stereo and other home computers, form factor.
d. Other comments:

Hi
I'm new to this forum. I interested in adding something to my MacMini to record from vinyl. What do people use?

barnz

« Reply #24 on: 17 Jul 2008, 06:51 pm »
Hi everybody -
this seemed like a good way to make my first post here.

• Mac mini processor model:C2D 2 GHz
  • Operating system version:Leopard
  • Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID):stock 120GB 5K400 internal, (for music and TV recording) external fanless mini-like enclosure with 750GB 3.5" WD Barracuda drive (for DVD collection)
  • Internal memory installed:just upgraded to 4GB last night.  Yay!

• Monitor/keyboard:Panasonic 37" plasma
  • Wireless hardware: Apple Bluetooth keyboard and Mighty Mouse
  • Software music player(s): Mostly iTunes, also COG and VLC
  • Other method of controlling the mac mini (VNC, custom remotes, etc): FrontRow and stock Apple Remote

• Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated): Thule IA60 (integrated being used in amp only mode)
  • Pre amplifier:Linn AV5103
  • External DAC: Linn AV5103
  • Speakers in this system: Sonus faber Signum
  • Interconnect types between mac mini and X: Audioquest Toslink in and out (with Mini adaptors)
  • Location of the mac mini (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet): Living room, in the hifi rack

I suppose my importing method is a bit "custom."
I rip with SBooth's MAX app in this format:
AIFF (Linear PCM) - 32bit big endian signed integer  This was overall the best sounding method I've found.

b. What feature or function would you add to the mac mini if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range?
Dedicated Graphics, and an easier way to match up pixel for pixel with HD monitors.  Upgrading the RAM was a big improvement in not only general performance but image quality, playing back HDTV recorded with EyeTV.

c. The part of your mac mini system that gives YOU the most satifaction/enjoyment ?
Immediate access to Movies and High quality music playback with FrontRow (& iTunes Coverflow).  Pretty cool.  Doesn't sound quite as good as my stand alone CD player (or the turntable, for that matter) but it's easy, sexy, and listenable.

d. Other comments:
I live in the SF Bay Area - we get great Over The Air HD broadcasting here.  I spent some money on a good, but small TV antenna, and an EyeTV 250+, and now I've got 'Tivo' without paying a monthly subscription.  Really great for catching music performances on David Letterman and Austin City Limits without staying up late.

Jeffr1966

« Reply #25 on: 16 Feb 2009, 09:22 pm »

Mac mini processor model: Intel Core Duo 1.66ghz

Operating system version: 10.5

Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID): 100GB internal with dual 750GB external standalones

Internal memory installed: 1GB

Monitor/keyboard: Apple wireless keyboard and mouse; Sharp Aquos 32" LCD TV/monitor

Wireless hardware: KB and mouse

Software music player(s): iTunes

Other method of controlling the mac mini (VNC, custom remotes, etc):Front Row via included remote; straight iTunes w/ wireless KB and mouse

Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated): Bryston B100SST w/ DAC  (100w/ch solid state integrated)

Pre amplifier: none; Bryston is an integrated amp

External DAC: none; DAC is internal on Bryston

Other component(s) in chain between mini and speakers: none

Speakers in this system: Gemme Audio Tanto v.1

Interconnect types between mac mini and X:  Van Den Hul Optolink mini optical to Toslink

Location of the mac mini: in the listening area

a. If applicable, what is custom in this mac mini system? n/a

b. What feature or function would you add to the mac mini if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range?  remote using iPhone or iPod

c. The part of your mac mini system that gives YOU the most satisfaction/enjoyment ? ease of use; fact that the wife and kids are NOT afraid to use the system; ability to stream Netflix movies to the Mac

d. Other comments:  good sound, very reasonable cost, not quite CD quality but close

Crimson

« Reply #26 on: 16 Feb 2009, 10:23 pm »
d. Other comments:  good sound, very reasonable cost, not quite CD quality but close

Thanks for the system description. Curious about your comment, though. You should be able to get CD quality. What format do you rip to?

Jeffr1966

« Reply #27 on: 17 Feb 2009, 02:24 pm »
ripped using Apple Lossless ... quality is very good but I THINK I prefer the sound of my CD player at least with some of my best recorded CD's.  I am not sure exactly why that is and I cannot put my finger on any serious sonic differences.  maybe it is just a bias as I am new to the whole computer audio thing (only had the mini set-up for about 3 weeks).

for the $$$ the mini set-up is hard to beat.  I paid only $450 for the mini including wireless keyboard, wireless mouse and 1 year of AppleCare on eBay.  new 750GB hard drives also from eBay at $100 each.

Jeff

ecruz

« Reply #28 on: 17 Feb 2009, 02:41 pm »
quality is very good but I THINK I prefer the sound of my CD player at least with some of my best recorded CD's.  I am not sure exactly why that is and I cannot put my finger on any serious sonic differences.  maybe it is just a bias as I am new to the whole computer audio thing (only had the mini set-up for about 3 weeks).

I came to a similar conclusion when comparing my Mini to my modded Squeezebox.  The Mini sounded thin and not very extended by comparison.  This was using the digital outputs of both, into the same DAC.

AudioCat

« Reply #29 on: 17 Feb 2009, 03:51 pm »

• Mac mini processor model: 1.25ghz PowerPC G4
  • Operating system version: OSX 10.5.6
  • Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID): External, Western Digital MyBook 320gb USB
  • Internal memory installed: 1gb

• Monitor/keyboard: None, Running headless
  • Wireless hardware: Netgear MR814v Router
  • Software music player(s): iTunes
  • Other method of controlling the mac mini (VNC, custom remotes, etc): Using MacBook Black running Chicken of the VNC and iPod Touch running Remote application

• Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated): McIntosh MA6200 (solid state integrated), negotiating for Sophia Electric Baby (Tube integrated)
  • External DAC:  Apogee Duet
  • Other component(s) in chain between mini and speakers: None, keeping it simple
  • Speakers in this system:Jean Marie Reynaud Twin MKIII
  • Interconnect types between mac mini and X: Firewire between Mini and Duet DAC, Kimber Kable between Duet and amp
  • Location of the mac mini (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet):  Living Room

The part of your mac mini system that gives YOU the most satisfaction/enjoyment ?

Recently, I made changes to my system to switch from a Mac Mini/Squeezebox transport to a Mac Mini/Apogee Duet.  Primarily, I did this because I was tired of the Squeezebox/SqueezeCenter interface for controlling the music library and its klugey album art management.  Using the Mini/Duet combo allows me to use iTunes as the interface but the switch also provided a huge sonic improvement.  To say I was shocked at how much of an improvement gained is a huge understatement as the difference was not subtle, at all.  The soundstage opened up, the lows gained muscle, the mids were more defined and refined and the highs much smoother. A musician friend who listened to a comparison between the two said the music through the Apogee sounded more natural.  At $500, the Apogee might be the best purchase I've made in my system.   8)

The best thing about this system is it gets out of the way of the music. 8)

AllynW

« Reply #30 on: 12 Apr 2009, 04:34 pm »
I've tried to keep the post per the requested format.

Version 10.4.11 Tiger
2 GB of SDRAM
Hard drives: 40GB internal  & WD 2 TB Raid 1 Firewire
No Monitor & keyboard: Shared desktop to Mac Book Pro
iTunes, Max & Cog

VTL 300 Deluxe Mono Blocks.
Musical Fidelity 308Cr Pre-Amp.
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC
B&W 801 Series 3
connection type: USB to HagUsb converter to RS digital coaxial cable.

My system is located in a dedicated listen room.  The builder called it a “Bonus Room” and it's on the 2nd floor and the room has  soggy bass.  There is 11” X 20” X3/4” granite slabs under each speakers.

« Last Edit: 22 May 2010, 03:46 am by AllynW »

Crimson

« Reply #31 on: 12 Apr 2009, 10:22 pm »
We are a Mac computer household and when we up-graded to Leopard the program changed the font size of the Front Row remote control software.  It became hard to read the screen from my listening chair.

That's a common complaint, and despite a lot of requests to Apple about it there have been no updates to correct it. Or it could be sheer coincidence that the ability to control iTunes via an iPhone or iPod Touch with Remote was released shortly thereafter.

BTW, thanks for contributing.

Geardaddy

« Reply #32 on: 13 Apr 2009, 12:12 am »

2.26 GHz
  • Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID):
250GB Serial ATA (I)+500GB Time Capsule (E)
memory installed:[/li][/list] 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
[/list]
  • Monitor/keyboard:
wireless Logitech keyboard + mouse
  • Wireless hardware:
Time Capsule
Itunes
Iphone + Remote app
[/list]
Intuitive Design Coordinate Monoblocks
Intuitive Design Gamma Summits
none
upstairs
[/list]

I recently made the plunge into MAC world.  I had been a PC man since the early 80s and had thousands of $s of PC-based programs and thus resisted the change.  I just bought this WiFi player (Zardoz) and was wrestling with Firewall issues pertaining to both the player and the Apple Remote app for my Iphone.  Fortunately for me, my PC croaked and I scored a Mini.  The rest has been pleasant history...quiet, seamless, no hassles....a beautiful machine.  Not having to thumb through CDs has been a treat and doing this remotely without a computer in the room is even better.  The Zardoz piece is a revelation in terms of sonics and I will be submitting a formal review of that device in the not too distant future.

[/quote]

cmryan21

« Reply #33 on: 16 Jun 2009, 07:46 pm »

* Mac mini processor model: 2.0 Core 2 Duo (2009 model)
    * Operating system version: 10.6.1
    * Hard drive type: internal 120gb (about to upgrade to 500gb)
    * Internal memory installed: 1gb

* Monitor/keyboard:Toshiba DLP/ Apple
    * Wireless hardware: Airport Extreme
    * Software music player(s): Itunes/Front Row/Remote Buddy
    * Other method of controlling the mac mini: Iphone, Apple Remote/Sony BD Remote

* Amplifier: Wyred4Sound multi-channel
    * Pre amplifier: Denon 4308CI
    * External DAC: n/a
    * Other component(s) in chain between mini and speakers: none
    * Speakers in this system: JTR Quintuple 8's, Axiom QS8's & Quad 18" Infinite Baffle
    * Location of the mac mini: av rack in living room

a. If applicable, what is custom in this mac mini system? The only thing I currently have that is custom is the infinite baffle.
b. What feature or function would you add to the mac mini if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range? Maybe a hard button remote with more functions to use with dvd playback in Front Row.
c. The part of your mac mini system that gives YOU the most satisfaction/enjoyment? Ease of use with my music.
d. Other comments: After some initial trial and error, I have been able to get the kind of video playback I was hoping for. As a music player, the mini has been fantastic.
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2009, 02:20 pm by cmryan21 »

6rs

« Reply #34 on: 16 Jun 2009, 08:02 pm »
Mac mini: 2.26 GHz processor
4 Gb RAM
320 gB internal HD
iTunes, using iPod or MacBook touch for control
Amarra 1.02
Weiss Dac2
Nuforce 9V2 SE
ATC SCM20SL (modded Xover with Duelund & Mundorf)
a. nothing
b. easier access to internal components
c. small, quiet, MAC platform (Amarra-compatible)

« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2009, 09:46 pm by 6rs »

specialidiot

« Reply #35 on: 3 Jul 2009, 03:09 am »
   ?   Mac mini processor model:  1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
   ?   Operating system version: 10.4.11
   ?   Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID):  Just upgraded the main drive to a Seagate 7200rpm, 320gig drive, I use an Acomdata 500gig external for the library
   ?   Internal memory installed: 2 gig

?   Monitor/keyboard: Samsung 2343BWX (24"), Microsoft Natural keyboard
   ?   Wireless hardware: some kind of Microsoft Natural mouse
   ?   Software music player(s): iTunes
   ?   Other method of controlling the mac mini (VNC, custom remotes, etc):

?   Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated):  McIntosh MC225
   ?   Pre amplifier: Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid
   ?   External DAC: Silverstone EBoi
   ?   Other component(s) in chain between mini and speakers:
   ?   Speakers in this system: Karma Indignia (DIY 2 ways, see http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=160535
   ?   Interconnect types between mac mini and X:Blue Jeans interconnects
   ?   Location of the mac mini (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet): Home office

Other Sources:
Yamaha PX-3 with Dynavector 10x5 cart and Bellari VP129 phono stage, Sony XDRF1HD tuner

a. If applicable, what is custom in this mac mini system?  The system has evolved over the past two years to it's present state.
b. What feature or function would you add to the mac mini if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range? I'm pretty satisfied at the moment, although a headphone amp would be nice.
c. The part of your mac mini system that gives YOU the most satifaction/enjoyment ? I have 100 gigs of FLAC audio files, about 1000 LPs, and a HD tuner so I have a lot to choose from
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2009, 06:40 pm by specialidiot »

K Shep

« Reply #36 on: 16 Sep 2009, 05:49 pm »

Mac mini processor model: 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
   Operating system version: OS X 10.5.8
   Hard drive type  size and type: 1TB external iOmega
   Internal memory installed: 2 GB 1067 MHz

Monitor/keyboard: Dell 20" monitor/Apple key board
   Wireless hardware: Logitech VX Nano mouse
   Software music player: iTunes
   Other method of controlling the mac mini: iPhone Remote application

Amplifier, and type : Parasound Halo A21 SS amp
   Pre amplifier: Conrad Johnson CT5 tube preamp
   External DAC: Ayre USB DAC
   Speakers in this system: Revel Performa F32s
   Interconnect types between mac mini and X: Transparent USB
   Location of the mac mini : Attic listening room

Kirk
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2010, 02:50 pm by K Shep »

Christof

« Reply #37 on: 20 Oct 2009, 08:21 pm »

2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo
                                  OSX 10.6

1TB External

• Internal memory installed:
                              2GB

• Monitor/keyboard:
                          Vizio 42" LCD / AirMouse app on iPhone

• Wireless hardware:
                        Apple wireless

iTunes

Remote app iPhone

Symphonic Line RG1 & Odyssey Straos Dual Mono

• Pre amplifier:
              Odyssey Candela

• External DAC:
            Larry Moore Buffalo Sabre ESS with Empherical 24/96 CEntrance USB module

Selah Audio custom 3-way

Ridge Street USB/Zu Cables
      Ridge Street USB/Zu Cables

d. Other comments:

pardales

« Reply #38 on: 19 Jan 2010, 04:02 am »
Is the Mini better, sonically, than a laptop, in a computer server digital front end?

newzooreview

« Reply #39 on: 20 Jan 2010, 03:12 am »
Is the Mini better, sonically, than a laptop, in a computer server digital front end?

The two reasons that I've heard for using a mini rather than a laptop are

1. The LCD monitor in a laptop can be a significant source of RFI/EMI. Getting the screen away from the CPU and sound outputs mitigates this. Or you could just run the Mini with the built-in screen sharing from another Mac.

2. It fits more easily into an equipment rack. You don't really need a monitor. If you use iTunes you can run it from an iPhone or via screen sharing as noted above.

I currently use a MacBook (with the screen turned off and operated via screen sharing across my home network). This worked for me since a) I had a MacBook available after upgrading to a MacBook Pro, and b) I use Play rather than iTunes since it sounds better, and screen sharing let's me control it while Remote on the iPhone does not.

Hope that helps.