difference between Bryston 11b preamp and .4B preamp

colhogan

James:
first let me express my condolences for the loss of Christopher Russell.
many times I spoke with Mr Russell on the phone about Bryson related technical issues and he always took the time to help and answer my questions.Definitely a first class gentleman.
My question is this:
Recently I purchased a Bryston 11B pre-amplifier and had it rebuilt. Sounds fantastic.
When I compared it to my 4B preamplifier,I noticed that there seemed to be a gain difference.  whenI hooked up each preamplifier,(Separately to compare the two),via RCA connections to my 3B NRB amplifier.
Is this possible or am I just imagining things?
Regards,
Patrick

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: difference between Bryston 11b preamp and .4B preamp
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2020, 12:36 pm »
James:
first let me express my condolences for the loss of Christopher Russell.
many times I spoke with Mr Russell on the phone about Bryson related technical issues and he always took the time to help and answer my questions.Definitely a first class gentleman.
My question is this:
Recently I purchased a Bryston 11B pre-amplifier and had it rebuilt. Sounds fantastic.
When I compared it to my 4B preamplifier,I noticed that there seemed to be a gain difference.  whenI hooked up each preamplifier,(Separately to compare the two),via RCA connections to my 3B NRB amplifier.
Is this possible or am I just imagining things?
Regards,
Patrick

Hi Partrick,

It was Brian Russell - Christopher's brother that passed.

When you say gain differences do you mean where the volume control is?  If so that is not an indication of gain as volume controls in the preamps are different. 

james

colhogan

« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2020, 02:40 pm »
James:
My Apologies. I read the notice wrong.
Yes. I was referring to the volume controls on both preamps.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2020, 02:50 pm »
Hi

So the gain from both preamps if I remember correctly is 12dB at full volume but the position of the volume control can differ based on the specific control.

james

colhogan

« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2020, 03:16 pm »
I'm sorry. I should have been more specific.
,W
    When both pre-amplifiers are individually hooked up via RCA connections to the power amplifier, and the volume is set at "9:00"for instance, there seems to me more volume coming from the .4B, as opposed to the 11B.
     Are you saying then it is a difference of brand or type of potentiometer,or is it just a voltage difference? Or am I just imagining the whole thing?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 18 Oct 2020, 03:42 pm »
I'm sorry. I should have been more specific.
,W
    When both pre-amplifiers are individually hooked up via RCA connections to the power amplifier, and the volume is set at "9:00"for instance, there seems to me more volume coming from the .4B, as opposed to the 11B.
     Are you saying then it is a difference of brand or type of potentiometer,or is it just a voltage difference? Or am I just imagining the whole thing?

Hi colhogan

I do not think you are imagining it  :)- the differences are probably because the gain or voltage out from the volume control is not the same due to differences in the volume controls themselves - even if the volume controls are from the same manufacturer there will be small differences in the voltage they supply at a given position. 

james