• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
Piano M1 Discussion
« on: 16 Apr 2010, 05:52 pm »
psb guy, try the piano m1 cd player :drool:

PSB Guy

Piano M1 Discussion
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2010, 08:08 pm »
psb guy, try the piano m1 cd player :drool:
Yeah, the M1 is a beautiful piece of kit for sure, would go nice on top of my M901. I may at some point go back to a stand-alone CD player, and that would be the one I would go with. For now I'm gonna stick to using my PC as the source, I'm hooked on the convenience of it, and it sounds awesome. I've just decided to go with a DAC based on the TDA 1543 chip, same family as the one in the M1.

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
Piano M1 Discussion
« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2010, 08:29 pm »
My Australian dealer COEM helped me understand that we actually use the TDA 1543 in Piano, with oversampling.  It's slightly different from most DAC implementations.

dvenardos

Piano M1 Discussion
« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2010, 08:39 pm »
I really like my Channel Islands VDA-2, but haven't compared it to other DACs out there.
No USB input if you need that, however.

Yeah, the M1 is a beautiful piece of kit for sure, would go nice on top of my M901. I may at some point go back to a stand-alone CD player, and that would be the one I would go with. For now I'm gonna stick to using my PC as the source, I'm hooked on the convenience of it, and it sounds awesome. I've just decided to go with a DAC based on the TDA 1543 chip, same family as the one in the M1.

PSB Guy

Re: Piano M1 Discussion
« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2010, 10:42 pm »
My Australian dealer COEM helped me understand that we actually use the TDA 1543 in Piano, with oversampling.  It's slightly different from most DAC implementations.
For what it's worth, the DAC I'm going with (for now at least, until Virtue's finally arrives) is the Valab, which uses eight of the TDA 1543 chips in non-oversampling mode, and it has a USB input, which I like. I've tried a few, MusicStreamer, Devilsound, broken Promitheus (ugh) and it would seem that the NOS ones have the sound I'm looking for, YMMV.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2010, 11:04 pm »
It's gonna take us a WHILE to do a proper DAC.  We tried last year... and failed (ie. 80% done, miss as good as a mile).  We need to recharge the bank before we try again... with gusto.

PSB Guy

« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2010, 11:10 pm »
When it does, I'll be in line, as I'm sure will many others. With the love that went into the other components, it's gonna be a world-beater, I'm sure.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #7 on: 16 Apr 2010, 11:15 pm »
Big HUGS!  Now it would be nice if some of those waiting in the wings went out and bought Piano CD-Players ;-)  They are darn nice and a good portion of any purchase will be guaranteed to support development of a stand-alone DAC ;-)

OzarkTom

« Reply #8 on: 17 Apr 2010, 05:08 pm »
I have about 125-150 hours on my Sensation and Piano, it sounds very open amd clean, and not fatiqueing at all. That is a first at my house before 11pm. My friend insists all digital components to have 400 hours of burn-in, is that correct? So do I still need to burn the Piano in for another 250 hours?

gerald porzio

« Reply #9 on: 17 Apr 2010, 07:21 pm »
It'll give your ears another 250 hrs. to get used to the sound.

OzarkTom

« Reply #10 on: 17 Apr 2010, 08:38 pm »
It'll give your ears another 250 hrs. to get used to the sound.

I am already use to this sound. It sounds alot like my friend's stacked Quads with NYAL OTL's at 1/8 of the price. But this has better inner detail and focus than his. 

dvenardos

« Reply #11 on: 17 Apr 2010, 08:57 pm »
There isn't any scientific basis for any specific # of hours of burn-in for electronics. Speakers have mechanical break-in so it is clearer in that case, some argue that break-in is all psychological, so whatever works for you. Anyone's opinion is purely subjective.

I have about 125-150 hours on my Sensation and Piano, it sounds very open amd clean, and not fatiqueing at all. That is a first at my house before 11pm. My friend insists all digital components to have 400 hours of burn-in, is that correct? So do I still need to burn the Piano in for another 250 hours?

OzarkTom

« Reply #12 on: 17 Apr 2010, 11:43 pm »
There isn't any scientific basis for any specific # of hours of burn-in for electronics. Speakers have mechanical break-in so it is clearer in that case, some argue that break-in is all psychological, so whatever works for you. Anyone's opinion is purely subjective.

The One.2 was almost great right out of the box, took only 10-15 hours to really start sounding good. The Sensation took 75-80 before it started to warm up, but now sounding great after 100 hours. The fatique factor was the main problem. I was getting a little frustrated. No fatique now whatsoever.

The sound coming out of this system is not an opinion. If you got good ears, you would hear the same thing.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #13 on: 18 Apr 2010, 04:23 am »
I'm not a metallurgist, but there are many reasons why amplifiers need break-in.  Some parts need more time than others and no, these are not psychological phenomena.  It's most frustrating to fly in new gear to audio shows when you're behind schedule and have the units open up the last half of the last day.  It happened to us a few times.

OzarkTom

« Reply #14 on: 18 Apr 2010, 04:53 am »
I'm not a metallurgist, but there are many reasons why amplifiers need break-in.  Some parts need more time than others and no, these are not psychological phenomena.  It's most frustrating to fly in new gear to audio shows when you're behind schedule and have the units open up the last half of the last day.  It happened to us a few times.

I went to the CES show for 15 years, twice a year. They use to have the show in Chicago and Vegas. I got a splitting headache every year from all the bad sound I heard. And I am sure most of those systems were just set up improperly or never broken in properly. I know the equipment was much better sounding than what I was hearing.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #15 on: 18 Apr 2010, 07:15 pm »
hello seth, is there suppose to be a plug to cover the opening for the optical out to prevent dust from getting in?

gerald porzio

« Reply #16 on: 18 Apr 2010, 08:08 pm »
One would think that w/ the CES & RMAF show dates virtually etched in stone, that a yr. would give you or any other exhibiting mfg. time to break-in gear.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #17 on: 18 Apr 2010, 10:28 pm »
Haha... that's what I thought.  But things often don't work out as hoped...

The last RMAF was a disaster.  We knew the date for a long time but remember that every prototype takes around 2-3 months to build including revising the PCB, fabricating the boards, building up the units, testing, etc.  Around 3 months from the show, our prototypes arrived.  Michael worked like crazy to fix them up... and then we made new prototypes... arrived 1 week before the show... still, there were problems with all of them.

I wish that I knew then what I know now; those were expensive lessions in show preparation.  We're going to show off what we do best and know will work flawlessly at the Lone Start Audio fest (Sensation + Piano), but the next show after that won't be until 2011 when we have new product that's been fully tested and naturally, broken in. 

« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2010, 03:38 am by virtue »

dvenardos

« Reply #18 on: 20 Apr 2010, 03:31 am »
Not trying to start an audiophile war, just pointing out that many people scoff at the idea of break-in and no one can give you a specific number of hours, so just use your ears and don't worry about it.

Mariusz

« Reply #19 on: 20 Apr 2010, 03:47 am »
Saw the player, integrated and new monos with Dodd's buffer at Paul's place.
Very attractive looking gear.
Too bad I did not have time to listen.
Price of the combo (Int. & CDP) seems more then reasonable.
 :wink: