Icon died after less than 2 years of normal usage...

anzo

My Icon suddenly stopped working earlier this week.
I was playing my music, and it started making clicking noise, power light kept blinking.
Tried unplugging everything and replug it back...no luck..
It's clearly a hardware failure.

I bought it in Oct, 2008.
It's very sad to see it died in less than 2 years  :cry:

I already filed a support ticket, I was offered a board replacement for $75.
They can also arrange an upgrade to Icon2, but I just found out that my S-1 is not supported by Icon 2. (Would somebody tell me why?)

I am very frustrated with the current situation.
I would like to have an upgrade, but I couldn't.
Who would want to buy S-1 at this moment if I were to sell them on ebay?
And what speakers would match with Icon-2?

Thanks

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
Re: Icon died after less than 2 years of normal usage...
« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2010, 01:00 am »

They can also arrange an upgrade to Icon2, but I just found out that my S-1 is not supported by Icon 2. (Would somebody tell me why?)Thanks

Maybe Jason would be kind enough to post a circuit for the S-1 filter, for people who would want to use S-1 speakers with the new amp? 

alwayslearning

« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2010, 02:46 am »
Thank you for letting us know about the lack of customer focus and questionable reliability. Two years and it failed? With no moving parts???? Hmmm....

I was looking into a Nuforce product. No longer.  I'm a quick learner.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2010, 03:01 am »
I don't own NuForce gear, and have zero ties or financial interest in the company, so hopefully I wont get bashed for this...

Don't base buying a product on one person's bad luck.  If this is something that you repeatedly hear, that's another story.  But if you're basing your decision on this thread alone, that's just stupid. 

Everything breaks.  Every manufacturer has a few units fail.  If you're looking for a product with zero defects/failures, good luck. If you fond one, either the dealer is full of crap, or you bought the very first one made. 

Toka

« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2010, 04:04 am »
I don't own NuForce gear, and have zero ties or financial interest in the company, so hopefully I wont get bashed for this...

Don't base buying a product on one person's bad luck.  If this is something that you repeatedly hear, that's another story.  But if you're basing your decision on this thread alone, that's just stupid. 

Everything breaks.  Every manufacturer has a few units fail.  If you're looking for a product with zero defects/failures, good luck. If you fond one, either the dealer is full of crap, or you bought the very first one made.

Good points...I bought my Icon when it first came out and its been going strong without a hitch ever since...and that is with hours of daily use.

ltr317

« Reply #5 on: 26 Sep 2010, 08:35 am »

Why should you get bash?  What you stated is rational with good common sense. 

bernardl

« Reply #6 on: 26 Sep 2010, 01:45 pm »
I was looking into a Nuforce product. No longer.  I'm a quick learner.

That doesn't sound like a vary rational decision. Nuforce products are excellent value and most users (including myself) have not experienced any issue.

Cheers,
Bernard

Doublej

« Reply #7 on: 26 Sep 2010, 04:12 pm »
If you paid by credit card, see if the warranty was double the MasterCard or Visa.

You might be able to get it repaired for free.

gitarretyp

« Reply #8 on: 26 Sep 2010, 04:20 pm »
I don't know much about this product or Nuforce in general, but it sounds like a relay (which is a moving part, by the way) in the power supply has failed. If that's the case, a relay only costs a few dollars, and any half-way competent tech could fix it in a few minutes. Regardless, parts fail sometimes, and you can't reasonably blame Nuforce for a random parts failure.

anzo

« Reply #9 on: 5 Oct 2010, 08:09 pm »
and now it's gonna cost around 200 to upgrade to icon 2...
still waiting for the final price..  :(

edit
price is out..
should i upgrade it for 190?
« Last Edit: 6 Oct 2010, 01:17 pm by anzo »

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #10 on: 8 Oct 2010, 03:07 am »
and now it's gonna cost around 200 to upgrade to icon 2...
still waiting for the final price..  :(

edit
price is out..
should i upgrade it for 190?

Why?  Are you going to ditch your S1 speakers, too?  If you liked the Icon and S1 originally, why not just pay the $75 for a board replacement, rather than upgrading for over twice as much AND getting new speakers as well.

I don't understand why you are bent on  upgrading now.

Caar

« Reply #11 on: 8 Oct 2010, 12:44 pm »
I have NuForce monoblocks, pre-power, multichannel power, icon, magic cubes, filters - some of them for several years of heavy use, all of them without any problem.
I have other equipment some folks call high-end, much more expensive, of well known brands, that failed on me.
That Icon failure mentioned in this thread could be filed under "just bad luck" imo.
PS: I'm just a NuForce customer, no strings of any other sort attached.