New Tube Amps From Old Ones

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
New Tube Amps From Old Ones
« on: 25 Sep 2008, 12:53 pm »
Tube Amplifier Remanufacturing is different from refurbishing and has nothing to do with amplifier repair. What I do is use the transformers (that are good) from your damaged amplifier and make a completely new one from them. If an output transformer is damaged, it is possible to match it with a new one. Power transformers are not an issue. I can do this with any brand of amplifier, even it it uses printed circuits. There are several circuits to choose from as well. Everything I do is point to point and made to be easily modified, upgraded or repaired.

Why do this? Transformers are expensive. Most of the time, the transformers are good and can be reused. Transformers don't wear anywhere near as fast as other amplifier components. It's not unusual for an output or power transformer to last over 50 years without any ill effects, so don't worry about that. I've used iron from the mid 40's without a problem. Some transformers have passed through here looking really, really bad yet performed 100%. Cosmetic and wire damage is repairable. You can't go by looks alone, no matter what. Naturally we don't accept bio hazards or equipment the cat or dog relieved themselves on or anything related to that kind of damage.

Please ask all the questions you want- that's why I started a new thread.  This is a way to save money and get something that will be better than the original. All internal components are brand new. We only reuse transformers and chokes.

Best Regards,
Blair Lamphear
Niteshade Audio
« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2008, 10:56 am by Niteshade »

ZLS

Re: Tube Amplifier Remanufacturing
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2008, 02:24 pm »
    You asked for questions, so here are a few:

1. If transformers were used in a push-pull configuration with one type of tube (KT 88) is it possible to use them with another less powerful type of tube (A EL 84)? 

2. If the answer to question number one is yes, is it advisable? 

3. If the transformers were used with SS rectification, can they be used with Tube Rectification? 

Be careful when you answer that one; there is an existing thread about which sounds better. 

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2008, 12:14 am »
For Push-Pull EL84 output transformers, anything from 6k to 10k should work fine. Many 100 watt transformers fall into the 6K range and believe it or not, will work great with EL84's. Transformers for 6L6's in the 50 watt range fall around 3-5K and may still work, but there could be some attenuation. To be more concise, as long as the transformer lies between 6K and 10K regardless of what it was used with before, should work great.

To answer your second question, chances are that if an amplifier had solid-state rectification, there will be no 5v filament windings for a tube rectifier on the power transformer. You can do the opposite and use solid-state rectification in place of tube rectification. The high voltage will be higher, so the amplifier circuit itself will have to be made around that fact.

Does it make a difference to the output transformers whether the circuit is using tube or SS rectification? It can, but there are ways of dealing with it and it won't make any difference to you. I've worked with scores of varying transformer scenarios and never had a problem that couldn't be satisfactorily resolved.

Are you asking which sounds better: Tube rectifiers or SS diodes? I realize that this is a Ford vs Chevy argument to many, but the answer is concrete to me. Tube rectifiers are great for amps under 30 watts/channel. Above that, SS diodes do a much better job because they will not allow the high voltage to sag and color the audio. A side note: What IF someone wanted the audio to be colored a certain way? Then I must choose the proper parts to fit the job at hand. This is a great topic and I hope others join in.

pardales

« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2008, 01:49 am »
Interesting discussion.

ZLS

« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2008, 03:14 am »
For Push-Pull EL84 output transformers, anything from 6k to 10k should work fine. Many 100 watt transformers fall into the 6K range and believe it or not, will work great with EL84's. Transformers for 6L6's in the 50 watt range fall around 3-5K and may still work, but there could be some attenuation. To be more concise, as long as the transformer lies between 6K and 10K regardless of what it was used with before, should work great.

The next question is how much power can the output transformers generate using EL 84 tubes in a pentode configuration? 
    How would such an amp compare to a rebuilt Heath 151 that was designed around EL 84 tubes? 

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #5 on: 26 Sep 2008, 12:51 pm »
Pentode configuration is the best for El84's. I would have to say around 15 watts/channel running the tubes easy. A tube rectifier will work great with this configuration if you wanted one. FYI: A 7591 falls in between an EL84 and 6L6 power-output wise. It has a plate dissipation rating of 19 watts while an el84 is 12 watts. A 6L6GC is rated for 30 watts. The AA151's transformers will work with 6L6's too if you want additional power.

kbuzz3

« Reply #6 on: 26 Sep 2008, 03:20 pm »
Interesting discussion.

Agreed...i have an old pair of "highly regarded"" monblocks that no amount of modding has made them sound acceptable. The iron is sound and chassis excellent, so this might be a way to go rather then selling them...