Website Updated

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
Website Updated
« on: 30 Aug 2008, 12:20 am »
Hello!

Whew..... Finally updated.

You may need to hit refresh on some pages to get the latest pages. I'll be cleaning up a bit and adding videos from VSAC the beginning of next week.

Thansk!

John

Oborous

Re: Website Updated
« Reply #1 on: 2 Sep 2008, 02:39 pm »
Wow!

That MicroTAP is exactly what I was looking for two years ago... And it looks like you have all the parts in the DIY section that I could tear apart my rig and achieve that goal.  Wow

That kind of product makes me need to rethink my audio setup.

Thanks!

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 4 Sep 2008, 11:55 pm »
Hello!

Oborous,

Glad you would find it handy but sorry to be 2 years late! I'll try and do better next time...... I need to do a better job of explaining some of this stuff - it seems once you split off into more than one box it becomes somehow scary but it's actually really easy to use and quite fun.

When I used to make more diy for myself making nice looking cases (by hand) was not my specialty and it would have been nice to just grab a TRIK or MicroTAP controller and then hide my 'creation' with all the audio stuff away in the rack. I hope as time goes on I can get more folks thinking about this as an option.

On another note I finally have the VSAC video footage online. I've not posted video before so please don't be too hard on me if it does not work right away! There are 2 videos - one for finished products and one for diy stuff. That keeps the file size somewhat  reasonable...... I did not post at youtube but might later - The direct link from the server should keep video quality better.

The videos are at the bottom of the VSAC pics page. Each file has two ways to view:

1- A link to the video file. It's in mpeg4 format - which seems to be  pretty common. This link can be left clicked and likely your brouser will play it with a default video player or right clicked and then saved to your computer to play later.

2- An embedded video player (Quicktime). Takes a few minutes after you enter the page to grab the video and after that you can press play and watch on the page itself. This works for me with netscape and Internet Explorer but on Firefox it did not..... A search turned up something about an add blocker in firefox thinking that the video should be blocked. After 1/2 a day messing around with that and getting my web host to activate some mimes (I had visions of them all trapped in boxes at the server farm) so the files would even be found by the code I figured that was close enough for today and that I'd better go build some stuff.

Everyone who has an interest please post or e-mail results as you get time to check them out - I'll do my best to fix up issues that come up.

Thansk!

John

denjo

« Reply #3 on: 5 Sep 2008, 06:02 am »
When I used to make more diy for myself making nice looking cases (by hand) was not my specialty and it would have been nice to just grab a TRIK or MicroTAP controller and then hide my 'creation' with all the audio stuff away in the rack.

John

Hi John

Just wondering why you did not retain the TAP chassis (the one with the "Tower of Pissa" sides and acrylic base)? I thought it looked much better than the "plain jane" box of the TAP-X. Do customers have the option of the slanted chassis?  :wink:

Congrats on your lovely website and best wishes for your new TAP!

Best Regards
Dennis

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 5 Sep 2008, 12:36 pm »
Hello!

I kinda liked that chassis too - although I was surprised that so many folks did not like it and preferred a more traditional look. The sloped sides of the old chassis were VERY disturbing to many potential customers - never quite understood it but some got downright emotional about it!

There are two reasons I chose to change:

1- The new TAP is very different when it comes to the Transformers/Autoformers used inside and keeping the same chassis would lead to confusion long term about which product was which.

2- As mentioned above some preferred a more traditional look - For these folks the new TAP-X chassis suits them better. For folks wanting a more exotic and fun product we can easily do a TRIK controller to a box with the TAP-X parts inside. Exactly the same sonics as the one box unit but more 'out there' design wise.

On a special order basis it is possible to make the old chassis be a TAP controller then connect via fiber optics to a TAP-X audio box. That would be different enough a system from the original that it would not be cause for confusion. I can pretty much make whatever folks want on a special order basis!

Thanks!

John

Clio09

« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2008, 02:06 pm »
John,

Nice to see the new products on the web site. In reading about the new TAP I see there is a version with XLR inputs/outputs. Is this a true balanced design (like the XLR version of the MicroTap)?

Tony

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2008, 04:33 pm »
Hello!

Yes - it is a true balanced unit in every way. To do that doubles up on the autoformer modules - the most expensive part of the system... It works very very well for systems with balanced sources and balanced amps.

Thansk!

John