Elac B6 upgrade

slefley

Re: Elac B6 upgrade
« Reply #120 on: 22 Dec 2015, 02:49 pm »
I have a almost-new pair of B6's on Audiogon for the price of a B5 if anyone is interested in trying this upgrade at a lower cost.

49er

« Reply #121 on: 10 Oct 2016, 10:05 pm »
I know this is an old thread but since I just got the B6s not too long ago and plan to do the Level 1 mod I had one nutty idea re the cabinet resonances I read about in the Stereophile review and acknowledged here by AJ - the most prominent being a high-Q 188Hz bad boy measured "everywhere" but strongest at the centers of the side walls.  There were some lesser resonances found above 188Hz and all tolled, when listening to a particular music selection, the reviewer described the B6 cabinets as "vibrating like a sex toy".  So what about this idea.  Go to your local home improvement or flooring place and buy some single pieces of ceramic tile, have those cut so as to almost cover the sides and top areas - leaving a small, un-tiled border so without precise fitting, edges don't butt and no overhangs.   I'm naively thinking that one need not cover ALL the side and top acreage but a good part of it to load those panels down on the outside.  Depending on the tile pattern, the final "look" would be "different" for sure.  For an adhesive you want near-100% coverage for intimate coupling between the roughed-up vinyl exterior and the tile.  You also want something that's going to dry sometime this year w/o the benefit of air exposure and not attack the vinyl.  I'm not in-love with anything I've seen on the shelf (i.e. caulk gun products) that can meet those requirements except a whole lot of expensive epoxy - ideal because it cures w/o an atmosphere.

So I'll leave it hanging there.  Is this foolish DIY fun?  Will it work or will these resonances somehow simply migrate to new frequencies? 

Danny Richie

« Reply #122 on: 12 Oct 2016, 03:52 am »
Great idea 49er. I think you'll find it to be very effective.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #123 on: 12 Oct 2016, 04:35 am »
.  Go to your local home improvement or flooring place and buy some single pieces of ceramic tile, have those cut so as to almost cover the sides and top areas - leaving a small, un-tiled border so without precise fitting, edges don't butt and no overhangs. 
Are you sure you mean ceramic tile?? I suspect you want vinyl.  :scratch:

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #124 on: 14 Oct 2016, 11:53 pm »
I'm pretty sure he does mean ceramic. I believe the idea is to add as much mass to the cabinets with as little increase in external dimensions as possible.

revg1952

« Reply #125 on: 15 Oct 2016, 12:30 am »
Hello
I have used ceramic tile on different  speaker designs, it is a cheap upgrade. It with tile adhesive  deadens the cabinet quite nice.
Gary/RevG1952

Wind Chaser

« Reply #126 on: 15 Oct 2016, 01:23 am »
Given the cost of these speakers and the cost of the mods, are there better options for the same money? Or is this one of those questions that ought not be asked? :scratch:

srb

« Reply #127 on: 15 Oct 2016, 01:32 am »
If you plan on keeping them forever maybe it's worth it, but I'm guessing that gluing ceramic tile to the exterior would automatically reduce any possible resale value to $50 or less (if you can find the right buyer).

revg1952

« Reply #128 on: 15 Oct 2016, 01:45 am »
I only used the ceramic tile and other mods on the inside of the cabinets, sight unseen. Sorry If I didn't make clear earlier.
Gary

srb

« Reply #129 on: 15 Oct 2016, 01:53 am »
I only used the ceramic tile and other mods on the inside of the cabinets, sight unseen. Sorry If I didn't make clear earlier.

Which is what I would do, but I was actually referring to 49er who was thinking about gluing the the ceramic tile to the exterior.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #130 on: 15 Oct 2016, 04:34 am »
Not what I would do, but to each his own.

Danny Richie

« Reply #131 on: 16 Oct 2016, 03:26 pm »
Given the cost of these speakers and the cost of the mods, are there better options for the same money? Or is this one of those questions that ought not be asked? :scratch:

If you have them already then they are worth at least taking them up a level or two with the level 1 mod. It's an inexpensive, fun, and a clear improvement. It's only $76.
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2016, 07:15 pm by Danny Richie »

Wind Chaser

« Reply #132 on: 16 Oct 2016, 03:32 pm »
Well it's very generous of you to do the work of figuring that all out and providing the insight for free. :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #133 on: 16 Oct 2016, 07:16 pm »
Well it's very generous of you to do the work of figuring that all out and providing the insight for free. :thumb:

I figured it all out and provide the support for free, but the parts needed for the upgrade still cost something.

docfeels

« Reply #134 on: 26 Oct 2016, 03:28 am »
Hi, Danny. I've come across this thread a week ago and have since removed the grills and the beauty rings. Each step provided improvements to my B6's sound. Despite being very good speakers, I feel there's still a need for improvement in the upper registers. I'd like to take this one step further and am interested in the level 1 mod kit. Is it still available for purchase?

Danny Richie

« Reply #135 on: 26 Oct 2016, 06:29 pm »
Hi, Danny. I've come across this thread a week ago and have since removed the grills and the beauty rings. Each step provided improvements to my B6's sound. Despite being very good speakers, I feel there's still a need for improvement in the upper registers. I'd like to take this one step further and am interested in the level 1 mod kit. Is it still available for purchase?

Sure, I can send you everything that you need. And it is a pretty easy upgrade.

Syrah

« Reply #136 on: 26 Oct 2016, 06:49 pm »
Danny - any chance you might have a go with a pair of KEF LS50s?  I'm thinking of getting a pair for my office, since, (a) they look cool; and, (b) they have great reviews.

Danny Richie

« Reply #137 on: 27 Oct 2016, 02:19 pm »
Danny - any chance you might have a go with a pair of KEF LS50s?  I'm thinking of getting a pair for my office, since, (a) they look cool; and, (b) they have great reviews.

You can always send me a pair and I'll have a look at them. I do a full set of measurements, evaluation, and recommendations all for free. 

selfassembled

« Reply #138 on: 8 Dec 2016, 08:48 pm »
Hello Danny, joined the forum because of the great discussion in this thread.  I recently bought a pair of B5s. 

Would you hazard a guess as to whether the cloth whole speaker grill or the ring trim has a larger impact on speaker sound?  I would be more comfortable removing the metal grill and trim if the cloth grill were still there.

Also, I know you were asked some time ago, but what do you think equivalent crossover upgrades would be for the B5 rather than the B6?  There's some images of the B5 crossover here: http://noaudiophile.com/ELAC_B5/

I'm definitely adding some insulation behind the woofer at the very least, thanks for your experimentation!

Danny Richie

« Reply #139 on: 9 Dec 2016, 01:26 am »
Hello Danny, joined the forum because of the great discussion in this thread.  I recently bought a pair of B5s. 

Would you hazard a guess as to whether the cloth whole speaker grill or the ring trim has a larger impact on speaker sound?  I would be more comfortable removing the metal grill and trim if the cloth grill were still there.

Also, I know you were asked some time ago, but what do you think equivalent crossover upgrades would be for the B5 rather than the B6?  There's some images of the B5 crossover here: http://noaudiophile.com/ELAC_B5/

I'm definitely adding some insulation behind the woofer at the very least, thanks for your experimentation!

I am sure that the same types of upgrades that I offer the B6 will apply to the B5.

If you like you can send me the pair and I'll figure it out for you and the rest of the B5 owners.