« Reply #820 on: 30 Mar 2010, 05:31 pm »
 ....It is fun and interesting Alex.... :wink:  :lol:

Martin Denny audio interview...

Martin Denny info....

adydula

• Restricted
Re: Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« Reply #821 on: 30 Mar 2010, 11:29 pm »
On the Martin Dennys Exotica.....listen to the conga drums on track #10, "Caravan"...play this LOUD and smile alot!!

Its really neat!!

Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #822 on: 30 Mar 2010, 11:36 pm »
Ok this is 'to me' and OMG recording....

Its INTENSE and I did not recognize most of the tracks except for Sunshine of Your Love...

No its not Clapton and Cream  :D

Its another 'lonewolfny42' selection:

Jimi Hendrix's "Valleys of Neptune" the version I listened to had the 2 extra tracks...

My ears are 'sore' I listened loud and long...oh well it was well worth it.

Normally when I listen to the old stuff (1969) I expect mediocre recordings etc..but this cd is pleasantly AWESOME. I usually look for the A side songs etc, and to me most of these are not A-Side songs but Hendrix's playing and talent are just freaking (oops) amazing!!

To be able to go back this far in time and relive/recreate these experiences makes this a Demo CD for me!!

Rock On 'Jimi'!!
 8)

All the best
Alex
 :eyebrows:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #823 on: 1 Apr 2010, 02:22 am »
Ok heres something really different..especially from listening to Jimi Hendrix!

Joshua Bell's "At Home With Friends"....

http://www.amazon.com/At-Home-Friends-Joshua-Bell/dp/B002LMSWSC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1270087990&sr=8-1

Relaxing, Haunting at Times, Melodic, Changing, can you say 'Violins, Regina Spektor, Josh Grogin, Frank Moreno, Sting, Chris Botti, Kristin Chenoweth and more!!

The common thread is the violin, but the overall content is varied to say the least, you will not be 'bored'. Give this one a listen, and if your in the mood you will smile alot....dont judge the whole by listening to only the first track...its that different all the way thru. Lots of surprises!

Its well done, sounds great...My favorites are Para Ti, My Funny Valentine, and the almost one minute piano introduction on I'll Take Manhatten,

Again Thanks to Chris!

All the best
Alex

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #824 on: 2 Apr 2010, 03:10 pm »
When Fourplay has a new release I usually buy it, as I did with their new CD “Energy”. This Cd ranks imo as up there with Fourplay’s best.  I later found it also comes as a Hybrid SACD so being the super nut than I am I ordered the SACD version. I got the CD last week have been listening to the 2-channel format for a week now. The sound Quality is top rate. This morning I noticed that this hybrid CD also has a 5.1 multichannel format, so I thought I would give it a try even though I have found my tastes has been almost solely 2 channel lately. This is one of the finest multichannel recording and mixes I have heard.

So those of you that like new jazz should give this one a listen. Those that have multichannel SACD players really should listen to this it just great.

The cut” Prelude for lovers” is my suggestion for Demo quality. It features Fourplay with vocals from Esperanza Spalding, simply good!

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Fourplay/dp/B001D94L48/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1270219237&sr=1-2

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #825 on: 4 Apr 2010, 03:55 am »
Hey Vulcan00,

Thanks for the recommendation!

I will have to get a hold of your selection!

All the best
Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #826 on: 4 Apr 2010, 10:46 pm »
Hello,

Heres another Jazz Classic...nothing fancy just really great stuff, wonderful recording..

Jack McDuff's "Down Home Style;:

http://www.amazon.com/Down-Home-Style-Jack-McDuff/dp/B000005H7W/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1270421082&sr=1-12

Memphis in June is Sweet ...and So is Groovin!

Enjoy!!

All the best and thank Chis!

Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #827 on: 8 Apr 2010, 11:42 pm »
Hello Fans!

Where is everyone??

I just listened to:  Al Koopers's "Rekooperation"

http://www.amazon.com/Rekooperation-Al-Kooper/dp/B000000FOQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1270769779&sr=1-1

This is a really, really great CD. It has to be on my all time best top 10 list for sure.

There are so many of the tracks that could easily be on a SALK demo cd etc.

These guys are just so good.

Wonderful recording....this one should make you guys and gals that have ribbon tweeters get hot flashes all over!!! :lol: 8) :lol:

Get it Quick for a little as $6.00 at the A.

Play it LOUD and smile alot!

All the best
and thanks Chris!!

Alex
 :eyebrows: :eyebrows:

Art_Chicago

« Reply #828 on: 9 Apr 2010, 01:59 am »
Hello Fans!

Where is everyone??

I guess it is a springbreak
Cheers

Mr_Superstar

« Reply #829 on: 9 Apr 2010, 02:57 am »
I purchased "The Great Cold Distance" by Katatonia, which came with a 5.1 DVD-Audio Disc.

This is the first multi-channel audio I've listened too (other than the DVD concerts of Pink Floyd & Led Zeppelin). It is AMAZING. What a different experience.

The only issue is that it's really only a 4.1 master. There is no center-channel information. Doesn't matter though, with the SongTower's, you'd think the center was playing anyway.

Also, this DVD made me a believer that DACs can sound different.

I have my Oppo 980H connected to my Marantz 7002 using HDMI, Coax & 5.1 analog audio outputs. I can play the DVD-Audio over HDMI or the 5.1 analog outputs (can't use coax because of DRM).

In any case, I REALLY prefer the sound over the analog outputs. For some reason it just seems more balanced.

In any case, if you like metal, I'd recommend you checking out this CD/DVD combo.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #830 on: 9 Apr 2010, 01:30 pm »
I'm still here and lurking as well.
Just haven't heard anything good enough to list.

Bob

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #831 on: 9 Apr 2010, 05:25 pm »
Cool!

Good to at least know you guys and gals are out their 'lurking'!! LOL

I have been thru a really stressful cycle of the job loss, finding another one and not really feeling that focused on listening to music when you are the bread-winner in the family!

Than God I have a new job, and benefits so we can carry one for a few more years...

Enough of this , getting over spring 'flu' here as well but have finally found some time to listen, and the joy is still there, the SongTowers still amaze me, and I am constantly reminded that things could be worse!!

So keep your recommendations trickling in...

All the best!
Alex

K Shep

« Reply #832 on: 9 Apr 2010, 08:27 pm »
Hello Fans!

Where is everyone??

I'm here too.  I just picked up a few excellent albums and wanted to share but I'm having trouble finding the link to the master list and how would one access it.  Alex would you please post how to access that master list?

Kirk

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #833 on: 10 Apr 2010, 07:50 pm »
Hello K Shep...

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=63936.msg714079#msg714079

Oneinthepipe created a group on Google that you can join and download the master file to date.

http://groups.google.com/group/salk-owners

On the first post in this thread there are links to PART1, PART2 and PART3 of all the CD's as of 12/29/2009.

I need to do a PART 4 and get the list updated!!

Hope this helps.

All the best
Alex

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #834 on: 10 Apr 2010, 08:05 pm »
Lee Ritenour "Smoke and Mirrors", he is one of the few cats out in LA that really knows how to tweak his sound. I had the honor of playing several sessions with him, check it out..its easily in my top five best demo CD's. :thumb:
 Sorry--not a SALK guy YET!!! saving to be one though.....

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #835 on: 11 Apr 2010, 12:22 pm »
eclien,

So Kool!

You actually played with Lee Ritenour, yes this is a honor...

I actually like his playing and discovered him via the GRP label in the 90's.

I have the following in my collection:

On The Line
Color Rit
Harlequin
Portrait
Earth Run
Festival

I have not listen'd to these in years, so thanks for the reminder and recommendation, I will go back a see if they are of demo quality and post in the near future.

I do not have the one you recommended, Smoke and Mirrors, but will have to look into it for sure.

Nice meeting you!

All the best
Alex

K Shep

« Reply #836 on: 12 Apr 2010, 04:54 am »
Thanks for your help Alex...saved to my hard drive now  8)

A friend turned me on to this:

Daivd Elias - Crossing
http://www.amazon.com/Crossing-Multichannel-Hybrid-David-Elias/dp/B000ALMTXK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1271047837&sr=1-1

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #837 on: 14 Apr 2010, 12:52 am »
Hello,

International Guitar Night II.

http://www.amazon.com/International-Guitar-Night-II-DGary/dp/B000VWYUU8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1271206118&sr=8-2

This is a guitar afficiando's dream...this is really a best of the best.

The tonality, the talent, the awesome display of total control of their instruments...

Enjoy this one.

Thanks Chris once again!

All the best
Alex
 :eyebrows: :eyebrows:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #838 on: 14 Apr 2010, 05:57 am »
International Guitar Night II...

I give all the credit to AC member Russell Dawkins......a fine job with that album.

Here's a little more Mr. Dawkins..... :thumb:

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #839 on: 14 Apr 2010, 11:58 am »
A public radio feature on Bill Withers prompted me to buy his Greatest Hits cd. The recording is very clean and makes for an enjoyable listening session.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_6?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=bill+withers+greatest+hits&x=0&y=0&sprefix=bill+w