SP 3.0?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: SP 3.0?
« Reply #2020 on: 18 Aug 2014, 05:23 pm »
Thank you for the swift reply!

I have done it but it doesn't work. I can select file to upload but it won't upload. Tried to reset eeprom and tcpip again without results. Any other ideas?

Hi

Email Stan directly and see if he can help.

sbleszynski@bryston.com

james

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #2021 on: 24 Aug 2014, 10:25 am »
I'm (anxiously) awaiting my SP3 this week! I'm planning to connect my BHA-1 so I can listen to TV, movies, and music via headphones on those late nights when everyone else is asleep.

Is there any difference between using the Tape Out jacks and the L/R Aux jacks (if configured for L/R) to my BHA-1? The only thing I could come up with is that the Aux jacks can be balanced. I only have a single sub and a single center channel.

srb

« Reply #2022 on: 24 Aug 2014, 03:26 pm »
Is there any difference between using the Tape Out jacks and the L/R Aux jacks (if configured for L/R) to my BHA-1? The only thing I could come up with is that the Aux jacks can be balanced. I only have a single sub and a single center channel.

I believe that while the L/R Aux outputs would be a variable output controlled by the SP3 volume control, the Tape Out outputs would be a fixed non-attenuated line level signal, and in my mind would be preferable so that the volume setting of the BHA-1 would be independent and unaffected by the current setting of the SP3 volume control.

Another thought is that if the L/R Aux outputs were used in an effort to control the headphone volume with the SP3 to take advantage of using a remote control, that incrementing the volume might take the SP3 out of Mute which was enabled to silence the speakers (and assuming that a Muted SP3 still has a live output at the Tape Out jacks)?

Steve

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #2023 on: 25 Aug 2014, 08:57 am »
Steve, good point! I should have thought about the L/R Aux NOT being at unity gain! Tape loop it is!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2024 on: 26 Aug 2014, 10:45 pm »
James

A final observation.  Yesterday, I listened for several hours (most of the day, actually) and compared a Benchmark DAC2, as an analog input, to the SP3 using a digital source (Squeezebox Touch).  There really was no difference in the quality of the sound.  The SP3 sounded just fine, compared to a $2,000 DAC.  The SP3 is fantastic.  The Benchmark is going back.  Well done, Bryston.

I wonder if the BDA-2 would be a significant improvement on the SP3 two channel performance?

Jim B.
Wilmette, IL.

ragg987

« Reply #2025 on: 26 Oct 2014, 01:27 pm »
James, seems the Bryston FTP site for sp3 firmware updates is not accepting download requests? I have been unable to access the 'current' directory for a few weeks. Have you changed the location?

Rajive

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2026 on: 26 Oct 2014, 01:42 pm »
James, seems the Bryston FTP site for sp3 firmware updates is not accepting download requests? I have been unable to access the 'current' directory for a few weeks. Have you changed the location?

Rajive

Let me check

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #2027 on: 9 Nov 2014, 06:57 pm »
James,

the JBL SDP 45 Surround Processor and Bryston's SP3 look like siblings. what's the truth about the relationship between these two products???

thanks,

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2028 on: 9 Nov 2014, 07:04 pm »
James,

the JBL SDP 45 Surround Processor and Bryston's SP3 look like siblings. what's the truth about the relationship between these two products???

thanks,

al.

Hi al

We build it for Harmon.

james

alexone

« Reply #2029 on: 9 Nov 2014, 07:06 pm »
wow! so basically these two products are the same??

al.

SHV

« Reply #2030 on: 11 Nov 2014, 02:23 am »
wow! so basically these two products are the same??

al.

Not exactly.  The JBL cost $1000 more and has three years less warranty than the SP3.

Steve

alexone

« Reply #2031 on: 29 Nov 2014, 07:16 pm »
James,

i believe that Bryston offered a trade-in program for SP2 owners in order to get a SP3. if so, what happened to the SP2 units??

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2032 on: 29 Nov 2014, 08:09 pm »
James,

i believe that Bryston offered a trade-in program for SP2 owners in order to get a SP3. if so, what happened to the SP2 units??

al.

They were resold as used stock to dealers but we only got back I think something like 12 units. 

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2033 on: 4 Dec 2014, 11:42 am »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston SP3 Processor Best of 2014

December 2014

Hi Folks,

Bryston is very pleased to announce that our Bryston SP-3 Surround Preamp/Processor has been awarded a BEST OF 2014 AWARD from THE SECRETS OF HOME THEATER MAGAZINE!

Ritchief

« Reply #2034 on: 14 Dec 2014, 10:26 am »
Is there chance of having the SP3 Max more central on the screen when using the iPad.

Also, is there a way to integrate the SP3 and BDP on to one web page so that things like volume control can be on one screen and not two.

Thank you.

sdolezalek

Magnepan's favorite system now features a brand new Bryston SP3
« Reply #2035 on: 15 Dec 2014, 12:35 am »
Now I just need to figure out all the settings that make the SP3 and Tri-Center combination so magical...

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #2036 on: 15 Dec 2014, 09:16 pm »
Wow, what a showpiece! Congratulations, sdolezalek! Best wishes for many years of happy listening.

Rich

Phil A

« Reply #2037 on: 15 Dec 2014, 09:24 pm »
Wow, what a showpiece! Congratulations, sdolezalek! Best wishes for many years of happy listening.

Rich

+1!! - one of the best looking/organized set-ups I've seen

spotlightaudio

« Reply #2038 on: 17 Jan 2015, 07:36 pm »
Unable to select Bal1 and Bal2 for zone output  :scratch: Also is there a way to dim the main power led when in the red off mode ?

Phil A

« Reply #2039 on: 17 Jan 2015, 08:05 pm »
Unable to select Bal1 and Bal2 for zone output  :scratch: Also is there a way to dim the main power led when in the red off mode ?

Page 6 of the manual indicates:

"F: MAIN / ZONE SELECT
The SP3 can send a different stereo audio source
signal to its ZONE outputs (Zone 2 Out) than to its main
outputs (Single Ended Outputs or Balanced Outputs).
Pressing the MAIN button allows selection of the signal
that will go to the Single Ended Outputs and Balanced
Outputs using the source select buttons (item “G”) while
pressing ZONE allows the same source select buttons to
set the signals that will be sent to the Zone 2 Out outputs)"