New SES series preamp

skite30

New SES series preamp
« on: 29 Dec 2008, 08:03 pm »
Roger interested in hearing more about the new preamp you are making. Can't find much info about it on the website yet.

tybee

Re: New SES series preamp
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jan 2009, 12:57 am »
Skite,

I have not heard about Roger's new pre-amp unless you are referring to the C4 which is part of the SES series?  I recently purchased a C4 from another AC member which has tone controls.  It uses 4 tubes, 2 0a2 regulator tubes, one 6922/6DJ8, and one 6FQ7 or 6BQ7 tube.  The C4 pre-amp is used with my EM7-2.5.  Like you, I assumed that I needed more power, and I was about to box up my EM7 amp and send it back to Roger for conversion to 5 watts.  Once I inserted the C4 into my system which includes 96DB Coax Radian speakers, I immediately changed my mind.  I can easily achieve 100DB plus readings on my Radioshack Sound Level Meter at the 9 o'clock position on the C4 in my 22'x20' room.  At the 7 o'clock position on the C4, I consistently achieve 80dB my normal listening level with the EM7 amp with 2.5 glorious watts. (Roger, after speaking with you today, I measured the sound pressure and confirmed what we discussed).

The biggest surprise today was rolling out some tubes in the C4.  The tube gurus say NOS 6FQ7 RCA Clear Top tubes can sound the best in their circuits. I have also heard good things about older Raytheon 0a2 regulator tubes, so I picked some of these tubes on EBay for a total investment of $30 for 8 tubes.  After checking the tubes in my tube tester to confirm the tubes were not total duds, I inserted RCAs and and Raytheons in the C4 and fired them up.  To my surprise, there was an immediate change to the sonics and the gain to the positive.  I am now able to use the volume control on my C4 more effectively, and the sonics have improved.  Sibilance that I noticed with the stock Russian tubes on male and female vocals is gone! For those that have not heard the EM7, it is a sonically surprising little SE amp.  I have inserted the EM7 into a friend's system with a custom 300B amp using Avantgarde speakers, and the EM7 sounded better balanced especially at the extremes to my ears. Anyway, I have learned that there is no need for 5 watts unless you feel obligated to give Roger more money.

The C4 and EM7 go together sonically like "peas and carrots" as Forrest Gump once uttered.  Enough said, back to my New Year's Eve music.

Happy New Year!

skite30

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jan 2009, 03:59 pm »
No I wasn't asking about the c4. Roger has a new pot in the box with a tube gain in it. I was just looking for more information on it and don't see anything on the website. I talked to him on the phone awhile ago and he said he was thinking about offering this pre. Just curious about it. I wanted the 5 watt version so I could try some lower sensitivity speakers and also because I never cared for the binding posts(re: hated them). I use an active pre now but am always looking for a better reasonably priced alternative.

chadh

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jan 2009, 06:24 pm »
I recently purchased a C4 from another AC member which has tone controls.  It uses 4 tubes, 2 0a2 regulator tubes, one 6922/6DJ8, and one 6FQ7 or 6BQ7 tube.  The C4 pre-amp is used with my EM7-2.5.  Like you, I assumed that I needed more power, and I was about to box up my EM7 amp and send it back to Roger for conversion to 5 watts.  Once I inserted the C4 into my system which includes 96DB Coax Radian speakers, I immediately changed my mind.  I can easily achieve 100DB plus readings on my Radioshack Sound Level Meter at the 9 o'clock position on the C4 in my 22'x20' room.  At the 7 o'clock position on the C4, I consistently achieve 80dB my normal listening level with the EM7 amp with 2.5 glorious watts. (Roger, after speaking with you today, I measured the sound pressure and confirmed what we discussed).

Tybee,

I'm interested in your experience with the C4.  Do you know how much gain it provides?

My current system includes 93dB speakers and Roger's EM7-5 amp and a low gain (somewhere between 5x and 10x, or 7 and 10dB) pre-amp which uses a pair of 6sn7s.  Importantly, my source only puts out about 1 volt.  While this means I'm usually happy with the volume set at around 3pm, there are a handful of recordings I have that really need a little more volume.  So, I'm cautiously looking around for a pre-amp alternative that might have a little higher gain.  The C4 seems like a really sensible option, especially as I've been so happy with with the EM7 amp.

Any comparisons between the sound of this tube compliment and the typical 6sn7 sound would be great too.

Chad

tybee

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2009, 12:02 am »
Chad,

My C4 configuration would seem to be ideal for you system as my C4 has plenty of gain, maybe too much for my 96 db speakers.  With my current turntable/cd sources, I never go past 9 o'clock.  My Radio Shack Sound Meter registers in the high 80s with volume set above 9 o'clock. I suspect that I would really like a 6SN7 type tube ahead of the EM7.  I seriously took a look at a Mapletree Ultra 4A SE to match with the EM7 which can use 6SN7 tubes.

Although Roger does not seem to offer an octal tube based C4, it might be worthwhile for you to discuss it with him. For me, I am quite happy with the current C4 configuration especially for very inexpensive tube rolling.

chadh

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2009, 02:04 am »

Thanks Tybee.

And to Skite, I'm sorry if my question pulled the thread off topic.

Chad

jamesgarvin

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jan 2009, 03:17 am »
When I talked with Roger back in June, 2008, he stated that he was working on a full featured pre-amp that he expected to be on the market in about a year, which would put it on the market in approximately June, 2009. He stated that he lives with every product he produces for approximately 1 to 1 1/2 years before releasing it to make sure that there are no bugs, it is reliable, and is as good as it can be. He did not say what the expected retail price would be.

skite30

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jan 2009, 04:01 am »
I currently am using a wright wla12a pre with 6sn7 tubes. A very nice combo but can sound a bit sterile not a lot but just seems to be the nnature of the pre. The em7 is anything but sterile.It has plenty of gain rarely getting past 9 on the dial in a small listening environment. I have 96 db nearfield Abby's. Am currently experiementing with a pair of omega hemptone 8's on an open baffle. Very promising at this point. I do hope Roger chimes in at some point on the pot in a box with 1 tube as I understand it or post some info on the website.

acresm22

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jan 2009, 07:15 pm »
I'm currently using an EM7 2.5 driving Klipsch LaScalas, and am completely smitten with this amp. Tried several SE amps prior to it...three different 2A3 SETs, a 300B SET, a 6C33C SE, and a 6L6 in triode...and the little EM7 does it for me. One of the qualities that astounds is how quiet the EM7 is...no audible noise through the LaScalas at idle, and that's with your ear right up to the speaker. No other tube amp I've tried is as quiet. In fact, the EM7 has less noise than a battery powered Super-T amp; the latter has an audible hiss through the LaScalas.

I've been trying several passive pres with the EM7. One that I really like is a shunt-to-ground 10k pot with 1k resistors. This one almost sounds like it has gain compared to others...more dynamic and punchy, and also gives me wall shaking SPLs at 12 o'clock on the dial. The other passives I've tried need to be at 2 or 3 on the dial to achieve the same volume, and then sound rather veiled in comparison.

I too am very curious about this pot-o-box w/tube. Also Roger's passive EQ. I have a pair of fostex fe126 horns in addition to the LaScalas, and while the EM7 absolutely trounces the Super-T amp on these speakers, the passive EQ would probably be a benefit.

skite30

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jan 2009, 04:57 am »
I have the passive eq in a box. With single driver speakers it is very versatile and a big help.