Coffee

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
Re: Coffee
« Reply #160 on: 19 Jul 2020, 03:17 am »
I alternate between a french press and a Chemex. I've never felt the need to go to a V60, and I don't have a gooseneck kettle anyway so flow control with the big and heavy Simplex would probably be a pain in the ass.

The Chemex works just fine for me, plus it's cool to look at :)

Jon L

« Reply #161 on: 19 Jul 2020, 03:36 am »
I've tried just about every drip system imageable. All very decent, but none have beat an Aeropress. As always though... YMMV.

All right, ordered aeropress.  Any tips to make aeropress taste better than drip coffee?  I do want to use the paper filter to filter out cafestol.   

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #162 on: 19 Jul 2020, 04:56 am »
I would suggest a copper or nylon sieve strainer that is permanent and does not need to be discarded.

Doublej

« Reply #163 on: 19 Jul 2020, 12:17 pm »
All right, ordered aeropress.  Any tips to make aeropress taste better than drip coffee?  I do want to use the paper filter to filter out cafestol.   

Aeropress is like audio. Lots of variables to tweak to your liking. You can read about how each variable impacts the flavor. As a starting point consider the following:

Start with freshly roasted coffee beans ideally less than 3 weeks old.
Use 14-15 grams of coffee beans.
Use 200- 250 ml 190 degree Fahrenheit water.
Use the inverted brewing method.

Wet paper filter.
Grind coffee beans.
Pour grinds into chamber.
Tilt and gently but quickly pour 30-50 ml of water down the side of the Aeropress.
Gentle shake if all grounds are not covered in water. Wait 30-60 seconds.
Pour remaining water into Aeropress using a circular pouring motion.
Fasten cap with filter onto Aeropress. Gently expel the excess air.
Wait until timer reaches a total of 3 minutes.
Put mug over top of Aeropress.
Flip over and press.
Drink Coffee.

I have noticed a distinct difference in taste between using a paper filter and a stainless mesh filter. With the beans I am using I prefer the paper filter to the mesh filter.

mick wolfe

« Reply #164 on: 19 Jul 2020, 03:54 pm »
How fine or coarse did you grind your beans? Considering the time frame of your recipe, I would guess "coarse". For me that would equate to an 18-22( or more?) setting on my Baratza Encore. Normally a 14 setting is recommended for an Aeropress, but this for a quick stir and then press.

Cappy

« Reply #165 on: 19 Jul 2020, 05:50 pm »
I really like the Aesir paper filters with my Aeropress. 

Doublej

« Reply #166 on: 20 Jul 2020, 01:51 am »
I can't tell you how fine my grinds are as I use a $12 JOVS (JavaPresse clone) burr grinder. It has no settings. Eyeballing it on this chart it looks like I am grinding to the Aeropress consistency.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3773/9632565168_fbb7f72a26_o.jpg

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #167 on: 20 Jul 2020, 02:04 am »
I also use this cheap Jovs, it grind beans in a fine powder similar to aeropress in this picture, the only cons is it takes a 8-10 minutes to do the job, in the adjustment I tightened the screw I am now getting aeropress powder, not expresso.

Its the same hardware than Java for $12, I cant complain.

mick wolfe

« Reply #168 on: 20 Jul 2020, 04:08 pm »
I can't tell you how fine my grinds are as I use a $12 JOVS (JavaPresse clone) burr grinder. It has no settings. Eyeballing it on this chart it looks like I am grinding to the Aeropress consistency.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3773/9632565168_fbb7f72a26_o.jpg

You got it. Basically what would be a #14 on the Encore. Coarser than an espresso grind, but finer than a drip grind :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #169 on: 25 Sep 2023, 01:16 pm »
Bad news, I have just informed by a friend in Colombia that the recent hurricane wiped out the coffee crop, he is drinking tea because coffee price gone up.

twitch54

« Reply #170 on: 25 Sep 2023, 01:37 pm »
Bad news, I have just informed by a friend in Colombia that the recent hurricane wiped out the coffee crop, he is drinking tea because coffee price gone up.

no worries, I drink Sumatra   :green:

Denton J

« Reply #171 on: 17 Jan 2024, 03:11 pm »
I alternate between a french press and a Chemex. I've never felt the need to go to a V60, and I don't have a gooseneck kettle anyway so flow control with the big and heavy Simplex would probably be a pain in the ass.

The Chemex works just fine for me, plus it's cool to look at :)

I use a french press and chemex too but I use a drip at work.  Those heathens can't be trusted with nicer items when I am not around. 

Trying to revive this thread.  I grind my own beans but I don't cook them.  What whole beans are people buying these days?  I've been ordering Stumptown Coffee for maybe about 10 years now. I am interested on switching things up a little.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #172 on: 17 Jan 2024, 05:21 pm »
I've been ordering Stumptown Coffee for maybe about 10 years now. I am interested on switching things up a little.

I've drank Stumptown for several years, but I recently swapped over to Water Ave coffee, specifically the Boxcar (dark roast of central and S. American beans) or their Canoe (medium roast blend). They are also a local Portland roaster that was actually the local coffee shop near my old work. Super fresh roasted, very flavourful and reasonably priced.

Only other one I really splurge for is Equiano Coffee (local Eugene roaster) has a Congo medium roast that is stupid good or their Ambrosia African blend dark roast.

Denton J

« Reply #173 on: 17 Jan 2024, 05:44 pm »
I've drank Stumptown for several years, but I recently swapped over to Water Ave coffee, specifically the Boxcar (dark roast of central and S. American beans) or their Canoe (medium roast blend). They are also a local Portland roaster that was actually the local coffee shop near my old work. Super fresh roasted, very flavourful and reasonably priced.

Only other one I really splurge for is Equiano Coffee (local Eugene roaster) has a Congo medium roast that is stupid good or their Ambrosia African blend dark roast.

Thanks, I ordered some Water Ave Coffee.

artur9

« Reply #174 on: 18 Jan 2024, 04:12 am »
I live in a coffee wasteland so it's just whatever Trade Coffee sends me.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #175 on: 18 Jan 2024, 12:57 pm »
Have been using Atlas mail order for a few months now, coffee from small growers from around the world.  Not impressed but it supposedly supports the growers.  Hand ground my own for a while but too labor intensive for the minimal improvement.  Just use a drip coffee maker.  The best coffee I can find in our small town is from a mom and pop that won't tell me what brand it is.

twitch54

newzooreview

« Reply #177 on: 18 Jan 2024, 02:11 pm »
I switched to roasting my own beans a few years ago. Beans are $5-8 per pound for single-origin, high-quality coffee from all of the well-established growing regions. I roast in small batches, so any given morning I can have a couple of very different coffees and the next week something different.

I switched from the Behmor drum roaster to an Ikawa Home roaster last year. The Ikawa is extremely convenient, and the quality and consistency is excellent. The Ikawa beans are good, but it's a lot more enjoyable to buy from US suppliers like Sweet Maria's, Captains Coffee, or others.

I typically roast light-medium to medium (city+ to full city), but even dark roasts do not produce much smoke due to the small batch size. The smoke alarm 8 feet away from the counter top has never gone off.

https://ikawahome.com/products/ikawa-home-roasting-system

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #178 on: 18 Jan 2024, 04:41 pm »
I switched to roasting my own beans a few years ago. Beans are $5-8 per pound for single-origin, high-quality coffee from all of the well-established growing regions. I roast in small batches, so any given morning I can have a couple of very different coffees and the next week something different.

I switched from the Behmor drum roaster to an Ikawa Home roaster last year. The Ikawa is extremely convenient, and the quality and consistency is excellent. The Ikawa beans are good, but it's a lot more enjoyable to buy from US suppliers like Sweet Maria's, Captains Coffee, or others.

I typically roast light-medium to medium (city+ to full city), but even dark roasts do not produce much smoke due to the small batch size. The smoke alarm 8 feet away from the counter top has never gone off.

https://ikawahome.com/products/ikawa-home-roasting-system

Thank you for providing this information and recommendation. I took a brief look and find myself tempted. [I've never roasted before - mostly because of laziness and fear of the mess and smoke from traditional roasters - wife hates messy.] Do you own the original capacity model or the newer '100' model? If the smaller model, would you recommend the 100 model? How simple (or onerous) is the cleaning process? [My wife and I typically use ~one pound of roasted beans/week with our Profitec Pro 500 espresso machine.] Any other thoughts (pro or con) on the Ikawa roaster?

Michael

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #179 on: 18 Jan 2024, 05:31 pm »
Using my Behmor under the vent on my stove works fine... never sets off the smoke alarm.  There are some annoying, but needed safety features, but it does a great job.
One week I drink Ethiopian, the next Tanzanian, etc...   But the Behmor is considerably larger than the  Ikawa (and about 1/4 the price).  Mine's been going strong for about 8 years now.  I roast a half pound at a time, usually sourced from Burman coffee.