Bluesound Node 2 No Longer drives pre-amp

Martin09

Bluesound Node 2 No Longer drives pre-amp
« on: 28 Feb 2022, 01:30 am »
My gear setup worked wonderfully. Now it doesn't. A bit of background: The working system had the Node output go into my elderly Adcom preamp and amp (CD and Tape inputs worked equally well). Then out to Gallo Nucleus Reference II speakers (company has new ownership, and staff has no clue about the original speakers). With my latest x-country move, I lost track of documentation and photos of how to wire up the speakers (there are two per side with jumpers and capacitors; altogether 5 terminals on the upper balls, and two on the lower. Complicated.)

Happily, I was able to Google the "only" internet mention of my speakers, and through AudioCircle helpers found Randy Jefferson (bless his audio heart) who once owned the speakers and still had a pdf of the documentation. I found a local audio technician and had him wire the speakers and bench test the amp and preamp. He confirmed everything to work well except the Node which he tested with another amp and had no clue of the problem. A mystery, since the headphone jack works, so the outputs should as well.

The Node produces no sound when attached as before. Other Node functions (headphones, communication with Pulse speakers) are all OK. I'm in contact with Bluesound--conscientious people, but the process of exchanging emails is cumbersome especially given their suggestion that I direct wire Node to speakers. I suppose that's to test the Node, but it seems like lots of effort and some expense for an unlikely result.

One option (given my lack of technical savvy and imagination) is to purchase a new Node. Great if it works and return it if it doesn't------unless folks on this forum have some fresh idea. Here's hoping.  :)

Bemopti123

Re: Bluesound Node 2 No Longer drives pre-amp
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2022, 04:13 am »
You should try to connect the NODE to another speaker and see if it outputs.  Although I have little experience with the NODE, it is probable that the software management would have "muted" the pre output.  I feel it might be a function of a software setting.  They must be willing to trouble shot the issue....but changing amps, might be on call and run a diagnostic test like that. 

sunnydaze

« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2022, 04:34 am »
I understand you have bench tested the amp and preamp, but have you successfully played another source to confirm that either is not the culprit?  You have a cdp or tuner around to run the test?  Worst case you can play music on your cellphone or laptop and run it into your linestage using a cheap 3.5mm jack to RCA cable (Amazon).  I'd wanna rule out all other links in the chain before blaming the Node.

Also, I don't understand how you'd "directly wire" your Node to speakers.  It only has analog RCA outputs, not speaker outputs.  The PowerNode has speaker outputs.

PS:  I own both the Node 2i and a PowerNode 2i.

Martin09

« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2022, 05:22 am »
Thanks for the thoughtful replies. Node did not work when tested with another amp, and the rest of the setup does  work (CD runs well). The suggestion that something in the Node software or settings could be the culprit makes sense to me as a possibility. Note that we're not talking about a weak or scratchy signal, but dead silence. But the response I got from Bluesound didn't suggest that as a possibility, and I don't know how I'd approach that sort of settings problem unless guided by Bluesound. Bluesound only suggested that I try to run the Node directly to the speakers--which does not make sense to me. Maybe they'll have something to add after another 2 days. Some years ago, Bluesound was pretty easy to contact by phone and they walked me through a solution to a different problem. I don't see how to make that happen now.

Anyway, if something else occurs to you, please let me know. If/when I get this resolved, I'll update this post.

sunnydaze

« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2022, 05:29 am »
The only thing I can think of is maybe it's the "volume limits" setting?

Goto     SETTINGS > AUDIO > VOLUME LIMITS (db)

and make sure it's not toggled to MINIMUM

Other than that..... :dunno:

Good Luck!

sunnydaze

« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2022, 05:43 am »
You may have already done this but I would send a REQUEST FOR SUPPORT

I have done this a few times recently and they have replied promptly and helpfully.

In the app:   HELP > SEND SUPPORT REQUEST

Fill out the form with as much clear info as possible, and click     SEND REQUEST

They respond back via email.

JackD

« Reply #6 on: 28 Feb 2022, 05:48 am »
And unfortunately sometimes things just quit working and require replacement as repair is either not possible or impractical.  If the software troubleshooting doesn't get you anywhere and you are comfortable with the Node software and unwilling to learn a new one just buy the newest Node version and move on with life.

sunnydaze

« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2022, 05:53 am »
And unfortunately sometimes things just quit working and require replacement as repair is either not possible or impractical.  If the software troubleshooting doesn't get you anywhere and you are comfortable with the Node software and unwilling to learn a new one just buy the newest Node version and move on with life.

On that note, I have a brand new and sealed Node 2i I can sell.  I was helping a friend build a system and he decided to go a different route.  If interested, please PM me.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #8 on: 28 Feb 2022, 04:26 pm »
Also, I don't understand how you'd "directly wire" your Node to speakers.  It only has analog RCA outputs, not speaker outputs.  The PowerNode has speaker outputs.

PS:  I own both the Node 2i and a PowerNode 2i.

So... I have a set of JBL 306P MKII speakers that are destined for my wood shop.  The above post leads me to believe that running a Node 2i directly to powered speakers in a no go?  This is not critical listening in any sense of the term.  I can just get a cheap DAC to run between my laptop and the speakers.  The JBL's have both a 1/4" jack and XLR inputs.

Thanks

sunnydaze

« Reply #9 on: 28 Feb 2022, 04:58 pm »
So... I have a set of JBL 306P MKII speakers that are destined for my wood shop.  The above post leads me to believe that running a Node 2i directly to powered speakers in a no go?  This is not critical listening in any sense of the term.  I can just get a cheap DAC to run between my laptop and the speakers.  The JBL's have both a 1/4" jack and XLR inputs.

Thanks

Sorry, I was not considering powered speakers with built-in amp.  The Node has both analog and digital outputs, so you should be able to run it into powered speakers if they have those inputs.

Keep in mind that if you run the Node into an external DAC via its digital outputs, you will not be able to use the high-pass feature for your main speakers nor the tone controls that are both built into the BluOS app.  Those items are processed by the Node's internal DAC and the information is sent to the RCA analog outputs, not the digital outputs.

Doublej

« Reply #10 on: 28 Feb 2022, 05:00 pm »

Thanks

You should absolutely be able to connect the Node 2i directly to the JBLs.  The Node 2i is a streamer/preamplifier. It lacks amplification so connecting it to powered speakers should work fine. You'll just need a cable with RCA's on one end and 1/4" jacks on the other or RCA to 1/4" adapters to use with an RCA on both ends cable.

sunnydaze

« Reply #11 on: 28 Feb 2022, 05:45 pm »
Outputs clearly shown here:

mcgsxr

« Reply #12 on: 28 Feb 2022, 05:55 pm »
Only the latest Node has the eARC hdmi, the older 2 and 2i do not.

But agree that using the Node direct to powered speakers should be the next test, via the RCA outputs.

Stercom

« Reply #13 on: 28 Feb 2022, 06:34 pm »
I don't mean these to be as snarky as it's going to sound. But did you try the physical volume buttons (+ and -) on the top of the Node? You can't just push the button and hold it. You have to repeatedly push it to increase the volume.  I learned this the hard way.  8)

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #14 on: 28 Feb 2022, 07:05 pm »
Thanks for the clarification on the Node 2i. :thumb:

I don't have one yet but it is on my short list of affordable streamers/dacs.

sunnydaze

« Reply #15 on: 28 Feb 2022, 07:30 pm »
Thanks for the clarification on the Node 2i. :thumb:

I don't have one yet but it is on my short list of affordable streamers/dacs.

You won't be disappointed!    :thumb:

Internal DAC suffices if in garage or bedroom or background listening system, but it gets really good with a decent outboard DAC.  Don't need to spend huge bux, I use a Border Patrol SE with my Node 2i and my buddy uses a Denafrips Aries.  Great with both.

Craig B

« Reply #16 on: 28 Feb 2022, 09:10 pm »
I agree that the DAC is the Node's weak point.

Martin09

« Reply #17 on: 2 Mar 2022, 07:13 pm »
Bluesound got back to me not with further trouble shooting but with "offers." --$240 for a refurb (specific node release not specified) or 25% off a new (did not respond to my question whether this was the newest). Not great but decent for out of warranty . Considering that my amp and preamp are older, weighty beasts, I got enthused by the smaller footprint of the powernode which may or may not deliver equal performance but probably consistent with streaming, which is all I do these days.  Bought "scratch/dent"  new from Crutchfield at fair saving.

sunnydaze

« Reply #18 on: 2 Mar 2022, 10:27 pm »
I am very pleasantly surprised at the performance of my PowerNode 2i.  It exceeded expectations.  I don't use it in my main rig, but in a secondary system for background music streaming all day long.  I actually listen to it more than my main system.

It has powered JM Reynaud Twins Mk3, Wharfedale Denton 80, and Zu Audio Dirty Weekends Mk2 -- very nice with all.  It's really good on the Dirty Weekends.  The PowerNode into these speakers is better than when they are powered by my Node 2i + very decent and highly regarded integrateds in the $2k - 3k range:  Redgum and Copland.  So we are talking about $900 vs over $2.5k (plus cost of IC), quite the bargain!    :thumb:

Your level of satisfaction with the PN will be a function of how high you are on the audiophile gear scale.  I don't know what gear you had been using, but if it's mass market low level receivers and such, I'm pretty confident the PowerNode will beat it by a wide margin.

Darko loves it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhRMWjDcEoU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0Bc7xWHaxA

Good Luck, and keep us posted once you've lived with it for a bit.
« Last Edit: 3 Mar 2022, 01:34 am by sunnydaze »

Martin09

« Reply #19 on: 4 Mar 2022, 10:25 pm »
The new Powernode has replaced my Adcom 500 series amp and pre amp. Too many factors involved for a fair comparison since my new room environment is near optimal, I haven't had the old gear set up for 6 months, and it has been years/decades since the Anthony Gallo Nucleus Reference II speakers (always satisfying) had enough space to perform their best. Also, that gear likely always underperformed as paired with the Gallos.  All that said, I'm blown away by what I have now. Don't mistake this for a review :?, but the bass smacks and the snares sizzle in ways I've only heard recently in audio showrooms. The Ref II require very little power, and the Powernode is more than adequate on that score. No doubt there's opportunity for an upgrade. There always is. Thanks AudioCircle for all the helpful input.