Plak or Frame, does it matter?

mcgsxr

« on: 29 Apr 2004, 12:07 am »
In attempting to "improve" the look of my listening room, I am adding some art.

My choices for these prints, are to either frame them behind glass, or have them all "Plak"ed - the process of seemingly bonding the print to a base of wood.

My question is - does it matter from a "high frequency reflection" point of view which I choose?

It would seem to me that the glass surface would reflect more than the matte surface of the print once "Plak"ed, but perhaps it is all the same to the treble in the end.

None of the proposed sites are on a sidewall, near the reflection points, they are on the front wall (over the already bad 32 inch TV...) or off in the adjoining open space outside my listening area.

Thoughts from those who have been down this path?

Prices are a wash, so I am just trying to sort out the best sounding way to get the art up!

Thanks,

Housteau

« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2004, 11:54 am »
I have always been told to avoid glass if possible.  However, I have several large glass framed prints in my dedicated listening room and suffer no ill effects.  I think the secret is not to have them flat against the wall, but on a slope tilting either up or down slightly.  In this way the reflections can be beamed away from the listening spot.

8thnerve

« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2004, 01:43 pm »
You can make it an acoustic treatment if you want...  Have the painting Plak'd onto a thin sheet of wood, and have that adhered to an inch or two of foam.  You'll get a minor improvement in sound quality and your artwork up on the wall.

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2004, 03:22 pm »
Thanks for both replies so far - good sense about angling whatever solution I end up with.

As for the foam, it sounds like the foam goes on the back of the Plak, and somehow absorbs a minor amount of sound?

Mark

8thnerve

« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2004, 06:19 pm »
Quote from: mcgsxr
Thanks for both replies so far - good sense about angling whatever solution I end up with.

As for the foam, it sounds like the foam goes on the back of the Plak, and somehow absorbs a minor amount of sound?

Mark

Yes, but probably more than you think.  It won't do anything in the mid to low bass, but mids and trebles will be positively affected.  If it's going to be there anyway, might as well make it do some work...

Carlman

« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2004, 06:47 pm »
I've done the foam-behind-wood thing and it works.  I'm working on some 'audio art' as we speak.  However, it will have a semi-porous canvas front.

-Carl