Hobbs NX-Studio Build

mkrawcz

Re: Hobbs NX-Studio Build
« Reply #180 on: 1 Apr 2021, 08:39 pm »
Like I said earlier VCAP ODAM. They sound better that Mifex copper caps IMO, half the price, and small.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #181 on: 1 Apr 2021, 08:52 pm »
I appreciate the suggestion, but I already had a desire to use copper caps on these for some time now, but wasn't sure if it was the direction I wanted to go yet. And seeing them on sale was enough reason to finally pull the trigger.

But I'll definitely consider them for a future build, thanks!

RonP

« Reply #182 on: 1 Apr 2021, 09:55 pm »

Here's one next to a 12oz can of soda..

HYPED!  :thumb:

just remember which one to drink and which one to install  :wink:

hawkeyejw

« Reply #183 on: 3 Apr 2021, 04:22 pm »
The Miflex caps for the tweeter circuits arrived today!
They're A LOT bigger and heavier than I expected...  :o

Here's one next to a 12oz can of soda..

HYPED!  :thumb:

:o

You’re planning to stick with internal crossovers with those things?! How much internal volume will the entire network take up? Gonna be like lifting mjolnir trying to move those things around.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #184 on: 3 Apr 2021, 07:14 pm »
:o

You’re planning to stick with internal crossovers with those things?! How much internal volume will the entire network take up? Gonna be like lifting mjolnir trying to move those things around.

Yup!  8)
That cap is going to be the single largest unit in the entire circuit, the foin inductors are fairly tightly wound and sonicaps arent particularly large either. If I was going to use a massive copper cap on the woofer circuit, I would have to use an outboard crossover..
But I dont plan to move these around much once they're finished tho. But I'll definitely give them a weigh in once they're complete. :P

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #185 on: 7 Apr 2021, 06:22 pm »
Got my Path Audio resistors in today!  :thumb:
They don't make the values i need, but they have values that can be doubled up to reach the values I need. So 4 of each value it is! :P

Was hoping to be doing the final clear coats today, but I realized that I didnt have the canopy frame I need to set up a spray booth.
It wont arrive until Friday, sadly. :cry:

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #186 on: 7 Apr 2021, 06:49 pm »
Just remember to put them in series for summing their resistance.  Unless you're paralleling them which lowers the resistance.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #187 on: 7 Apr 2021, 06:57 pm »
Yup! They'll be running in series, so no worries there!  :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #188 on: 7 Apr 2021, 07:41 pm »
So you might have your NX Studios up and running this weekend? 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #189 on: 7 Apr 2021, 08:56 pm »
So you might have your NX Studios up and running this weekend? 

I wish! Sadly, I still gotta wait for the woofers fo get back in stock to get them along with the rest of fhe kit..  :cry:

But, I am hoping I can at least get the cabinets 100% finished by next week! :green:

mkrawcz

« Reply #190 on: 7 Apr 2021, 09:38 pm »
I wish! Sadly, I still gotta wait for the woofers fo get back in stock to get them along with the rest of fhe kit..  :cry:

But, I am hoping I can at least get the cabinets 100% finished by next week! :green:
You are two woofers away from your jaw hitting the floor.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #191 on: 7 Apr 2021, 10:15 pm »
More like: 2 woofers, 2 tweeters 6 caps, 2 foil inductors, 2 tube connectors, a sheet of norez, some wire, several coats of lacquer & sanding away  :lol:

But yes, this project has come a long way over the last 6 months, im excited to finally get these beauties finished!  :thumb:

Tyson

« Reply #192 on: 7 Apr 2021, 10:46 pm »
IME, the drain wire on the Path Audio resistors had absolutely no effect on the sound.  I ended up just clipping mine off to make my crossover a little neater. 

Argoncat

« Reply #193 on: 7 Apr 2021, 10:57 pm »
I did the same with my Path Resistors; trimmed the wire shorter, folded it over and heat-shrink over the folded end to ensure it's protected.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #194 on: 7 Apr 2021, 11:12 pm »
Yeah I was just planning to snip it off, but take the remainder and use electrical tape to keep it isolated & out of the way.

Just to confirm, the drain is the really long wire, correct?

mkrawcz

« Reply #195 on: 7 Apr 2021, 11:21 pm »
IME, the drain wire on the Path Audio resistors had absolutely no effect on the sound.  I ended up just clipping mine off to make my crossover a little neater.
Did you find them to be better than the Mills resistors?

Tyson

« Reply #196 on: 7 Apr 2021, 11:27 pm »
Oh yeah.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #197 on: 7 Apr 2021, 11:44 pm »
Oh yeah.

If I remember correctly, MLundy also picked up some Path resistors along with foil inductors as a future upgrade for his NX-Otica MTMs.
And Argoncat also used them in his Studios, which are a good chunk of the basis for my decision to use them, tho I can't justify the price/size of monster copper caps for the woofer circuit.. bypass caps will do me just fine. :P

mkrawcz

« Reply #198 on: 7 Apr 2021, 11:55 pm »
I guess I need to put in another order at Partsconnexion  :D

mkrawcz

« Reply #199 on: 16 Apr 2021, 01:00 am »
I swapped out the Mills resistors in my Studios with Path Audios and yea, these are the way to go. Between these and the VCAP I have on the tweeter circuit, the speakers seem to have a more holographic soundstage and more resolution than stock.