Are you Tired of Using Music vs Experiencing Music? CD's Making a Comeback

DCC3341

A great article from The Guardian on music listening and formats (I have no affiliation), just want people to see it. Could it be that CD's will make a big return? Should bode even better for Vinyl!

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/sep/27/theres-endless-choice-but-youre-not-listening-fans-quitting-spotify-to-save-their-love-of-music

simoon

Interesting article, and I hope it is true, and becomes more widespread.

For me, I never have the problem, because none of the music I listen to is conducive as background music, or for creating an atmosphere that one would want in a coffee shop.

Most of the music I listen to, tends to be long, does not follow verse>chorus>bridge>repeat song format, usually does not have easy to digest hooks and melodies, is not always easy to listen to (it can be kind of 'thorny sounding').

I tend toward progressive and avant-garde forms of jazz, classical, and prog, which would be more likely to chase people out of a coffee shop. And I hardly ever listen to music as a passive activity, like for background or while multitasking, or doing some other activity. The vast majority of my listening is active, in other words, with my attention focused as much on the music as possible.

I do stream, not as my primary source however. Usually for research for new music.

Sonny

I still have all my CDs though I don't spin them much.  I haven't found "real" time to "really" listen. So, it's been streaming files from my HD via a Mac mini and Roon.

Also have over 2000 LPs, but rarely spin them.

T

dpatters

I ditched my music server a few years ago and returned to spinning CDs and vinyl. No regrets.

Don P

Stercom

Nah, I'm not going back. I sold my analog rig and all my vinyl (including a bunch of MFSL - got lucky there - it was before the "scandal"). I now have a top notch DAC with an excellent streamer/server. The ritual of buying and spinning vinyl didn't add to my music experience. At the end of the day, I want to sit down with a bourbon and stream music I already know. If I want some new music I'll look at the suggestions it gives me. I don't get the idea I need to "do more" to experience the music. Its should all be very chill - no hassle. To me, thats whats music is about.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
I never got started with streaming.
I'll always buy albums first but an awful lot of it was only put out on CD.
Robert Fripp/King Crimson, for instance.

Nick B

Nah, I'm not going back. I sold my analog rig and all my vinyl (including a bunch of MFSL - got lucky there - it was before the "scandal"). I now have a top notch DAC with an excellent streamer/server. The ritual of buying and spinning vinyl didn't add to my music experience. At the end of the day, I want to sit down with a bourbon and stream music I already know. If I want some new music I'll look at the suggestions it gives me. I don't get the idea I need to "do more" to experience the music. Its should all be very chill - no hassle. To me, thats whats music is about.

+1 🎶 😎

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
So this author has never heard of hirez streaming?  No mention of Amazon HiFi, Tidal, or my fav, Qobuz, as if Spotify is the only stream available.  And no research or statistics, it seems as if the author talked to some of their friends for the article.  I wouldn't put too much faith in anything written there.

I don't understand the dumping of media, I consider my collection of CDs and LPs a treasure, and also enjoy my subscription to Qobuz.  Why do I need to dump any source of musical enjoyment?

Samac

So this author has never heard of hirez streaming?  No mention of Amazon HiFi, Tidal, or my fav, Qobuz, as if Spotify is the only stream available.  And no research or statistics, it seems as if the author talked to some of their friends for the article.  I wouldn't put too much faith in anything written there.

I don't understand the dumping of media, I consider my collection of CDs and LPs a treasure, and also enjoy my subscription to Qobuz.  Why do I need to dump any source of musical enjoyment? :thumb:

Great post.

Cheers,

Scott