Mounting Odd Shaped Cartridges

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Mounting Odd Shaped Cartridges
« on: 3 Sep 2019, 02:00 am »
I just helped a friend set up his old Sony TT with an Ortofon 2M Red.  Cheap but decent table, cheap but decent cartridge   But it took me forever to get the damned thing mounted properly.  There's not line or side on it that parallel with anything on the mounting jig I printed out.  Doesn't help when you are trying to hold your glasses at just the right spot to be able to focus clearly.  Finally I called over my nearsighted wife to use her vision and got something acceptable...

What do you guys do to mount odd shaped cartridges?  I had the same problem mounting a Sumiko Blackbird on one of my arms.  Usually I get pretty close and line up sides of the cartridge with the lines on the jig, but when nothing is parallel, I simply backed away and tried to align from a bit of distance.   Any ideas?

sunnydaze

Re: Mounting Odd Shaped Cartridges
« Reply #1 on: 3 Sep 2019, 05:01 am »
You should never use the cartridge body to obtain your null points.  Carts are not always built perfectly with the cantilever installed properly.  And even if built perfectly, some carts don't have parallel sides.

Once the stylus is on the protrator bullseye, best method is to get down low and sight head-on down the cantilever.  Lay a bright flashlight on the platter and use a magnifying glass.  The objective is to align the cantilever perfectly with the line that runs behind it.  If you are careful and your work is brightly lit, with a little practice it is quite easy to make the cantilever and the line become one.  If offset angle or overhang is off it is quite obvious as the cantilever does not align with the line.  Be sure you are sighting perfectly head-on or parallax errors will occur.

The objective is to align the cantilever not the cartridge body.  The latter only works if the cartridge is built perfectly and has parallel sides.  The former always works.

S Clark

« Reply #2 on: 3 Sep 2019, 05:36 am »
That's very helpful... thanks!  :thumb:

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 3 Sep 2019, 12:10 pm »
And use the Hoffman arc protractors, nothing on the web is more accurate or easy to align.

S Clark

« Reply #4 on: 3 Sep 2019, 01:07 pm »
And use the Hoffman arc protractors, nothing on the web is more accurate or easy to align.
Yep, it's da bomb.  And super easy!

sunnydaze

« Reply #5 on: 3 Sep 2019, 01:09 pm »
Yep, it's da bomb.  And super easy!

Just make sure your mount distance is 100% spot on.  If not, arc protractors are useless.

bacobits1

« Reply #6 on: 3 Sep 2019, 01:20 pm »
I wouldn't use anything but an Arc protractor, as John says the mounting distance has to be correct and correlate to the Arc Protractor. Then take your time to align the cantilever to the grid. Some of these cartridges have real hanger cantilevers which actually makes it a bit easier than a low rider with the cantilever set back in a nutty shaped body.

Oh, a real pet peeve are these expensive Cartridges not having tapped screw mounting holes.

sunnydaze

« Reply #7 on: 3 Sep 2019, 02:50 pm »
Toughest cartridge I've experienced for setting null points is the Dynavector 17d2 Mk2.  At less than 2mm in length, viewing that cantilever is brutal on the old eyes.  I bet even young eyes would struggle.  Almost have to guess where it is.     :?

Agree about PITA in using nuts to attach carts.  Unfortunately I have 2 of them:  Shelter 501 mk2 and CartridgeMan Music Maker mk3. 

And you Den, are about to have one also!     :lol:

bacobits1

« Reply #8 on: 3 Sep 2019, 06:08 pm »
Yea my AT33 PTG II is like that and an Ortofon X5MC too. Must use the stylus covers!
Patience, careful patience.

Another peeve is the hex nuts usually are too big to fit on bottom of slotted cart. Put your nuts on top.  :roll:

I usually use the knurled nuts. Where can you buy those? :scratch:

S Clark

« Reply #9 on: 3 Sep 2019, 09:27 pm »
Toughest cartridge I've experienced for setting null points is the Dynavector 17d2 Mk2.  At less than 2mm in length, viewing that cantilever is brutal on the old eyes.  I bet even young eyes would struggle.  Almost have to guess where it is.     :?

Just looked that up... cantilever length is 1.7 mm.  That's freaking insane.   You'd have to have magnification, and it'd still be a nightmare. 

sunnydaze

« Reply #10 on: 3 Sep 2019, 09:34 pm »
Just looked that up... cantilever length is 1.7 mm.  That's freaking insane.   You'd have to have magnification, and it'd still be a nightmare.

Yep.  That's why "17" is in the model name.  Designates the 1.7mm long cantilever.  For setup you need patience, very bright light and strong magnification.

I did manage to get it singing so nice on my buddy's table that he bought it from me.