Multimeter Info Request!

alana106

Multimeter Info Request!
« on: 9 Oct 2011, 04:44 pm »
Hi Fellas

Haven't seen many of you for a while, but was hoping some of you might help me with selecting a new meter to read Capacitance.  I've heard that my VMPS RM40 speakers might benefit greatly with a cap upgrade. (Sonicap and Obbligato were suggested)  I intend to tear open the RM40s, measure what cap values exist, and replace with upgraded caps.
   Ebay has meters from Hong Kong starting around $20, and a Fluke 15B, also from China, around $80.  Would appreciate anyone's thoughts/recommendations on these or any other meters that might do the job.  For that matter, any info concerning a speaker cap upgrade project in general, would certainly be welcome.

Thanks,
Alan

electricbear

Re: Multimeter Info Request!
« Reply #1 on: 9 Oct 2011, 05:59 pm »
I use a Fluke for all my metering needs. I've had it 18+ years and it's performed flawlessly. They do cost a little more than some of the others but in this case it is worth it.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2011, 06:05 pm »
A good Fluke meter should do the job but aren't those values printed on the caps?

Æ

« Reply #3 on: 9 Oct 2011, 07:43 pm »
I have several multimeters and I recommend FLUKE when it comes to measuring voltage and such. However I have an Elenco digital LCR meter which I bought exclusively to measure all my crossover components. You can get a decent digital LCR meter from MCM Electronics for $40-$60. Have you tried GOOGLE? "LCR Meter"
http://electronics.mcmelectronics.com/search.php?Ntt=LCR+meter&Ns=0

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #4 on: 9 Oct 2011, 09:29 pm »
I've had a FLUKE 83 for over 20 years that I love. Highly recommended.

Bob

alana106

« Reply #5 on: 10 Oct 2011, 02:10 pm »
Thanks to everyone who took time to respond and PM.   Looks like the Fluke is the obvious winner.  I'll grab one off of E-bay.

A good Fluke meter should do the job but aren't those values printed on the caps?
    timind....You are correct.  The values are written on the caps. I had already pulled one of the woofers.  The midrange has several caps paralleled together, and fastened with hot glue.  I didn't know if the printing would hold up after pulling them loose.   Also this will be my first time replacing crossover caps, and thought I would match the new cap values up the best I can, since I'll probably be using multiples to get the values.

Thanks Again,
Alan

dwarfed centipede

« Reply #6 on: 10 Oct 2011, 06:10 pm »
+1 for anything Fluke.