OCTOBER GAS GATHERING AT ALAN'S

alana106

Re: OCTOBER GAS GATHERING AT ALAN'S
« Reply #40 on: 28 Oct 2006, 11:49 am »

BASEBALL FANS!!!  WE WILL HAVE THE WORLD SERIES GAME ON. (IF PLAYED) 

No need for that, WE RULE!

Bob
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
I'm so ashamed.   What could I have been thinking?  Everyone knew they would run away with it. :o

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #41 on: 28 Oct 2006, 12:17 pm »
So do we want the Baffles Iris'?  aa

Bob

alana106

« Reply #42 on: 28 Oct 2006, 12:38 pm »
Bob,

Feel free to bring anything your comfortable with. :)  Steve is bringing his Mapletree preamp.   I just wouldn't want you to take a chance in damaging anything in transport........ We'll have plenty of room if you should decide to.

Alan

steve k

« Reply #43 on: 28 Oct 2006, 12:39 pm »
Alan,
Can you email me directions again? I accidentally deleted them.
steve

alana106

« Reply #44 on: 28 Oct 2006, 12:50 pm »
Steve,

Directions are on the way.  I'm leaving now, and will be back by afternoon.  Still room for a couple more if anyone breaks free at the last minute.

Alan

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #45 on: 28 Oct 2006, 02:00 pm »
Alan.

Do you have a squeezebox?  I can bring over my new Boulder power supply and DC cable.  If not, no biggie.

Bryan

electricbear

« Reply #46 on: 28 Oct 2006, 02:40 pm »
I'm going to have to ask for a rain check for this evening. I spent most of yesterday at an Oral Surgeon. I had a tooth ache on Thursday that was annoying but not severe but by Friday morning it had turned me into the Elephant man. The whole right hand side of my face had swollen up like I was chewing a baseball. I still have a severely swollen face but am now minus a tooth. On the plus side, those drugs are good.
Rather than scaring your Wife and kids along with anyone else who sees me, I will be staying at home this evening . I hope the evening goes well and everyone has fun.

alana106

« Reply #47 on: 28 Oct 2006, 04:20 pm »

Tim: 

Sorry your not feeling well.  I think at some time, we've all been through something similar.  If you do get to feeling better, come on by.   We won't be concerned with how you look.  I suspect my wife will take off, and besides, shes even managed to accept the way I look. :)

Bryan,

I probably didn't mention, and I don't think we can update our system on this site yet, but I have an SB3 and Elpac PS with the Bolder mods.  I also picked up one of the Paradisa dacs off of EBay.

Alan

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #48 on: 28 Oct 2006, 04:22 pm »
OK.  I'll bring the power supply and DC cable then.  Something else to play with.

I'm also going to throw some 703 in a couple of homemade potato sacks I have for just this purpose.  I have the car tonight so can't bring a ton but will have enough to mess around with and see what'll work best in your room and is still 'hidable'.

Bryan

alana106

« Reply #49 on: 28 Oct 2006, 04:34 pm »
Thanks Bryan!

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #50 on: 29 Oct 2006, 12:44 pm »
Alan, thanks again for allowing me to come and play. (Extra special thanks to your wife too!)
By the way Alan, what model speakers were those?
Thanks to you and Bryan for the explanation and demonstration of the squeezebox :roll:NOW that's on my list too...
It'll be a few steps down the list though.
I've got a few more pressing things that "need" to be added to the room first.

Bob

steve k

« Reply #51 on: 29 Oct 2006, 02:54 pm »
Welcome to GAS, Bob. You're now on the slippery slope to audio insanity with the rest of us. :lol: We really enjoyed hearing your Silver Iris Coax open baffles. They really filled up Alan's big living room with sound. They pack a lot of punch for $300! We ran them with both the VTL and the Butler--both way more power than they need. I'm sure our SET users will have lots of ideas for SET amp matchups for the Iris.  aa

Alan's Butler 2250 was the hit of the night. All agreed it's a great match for the VMPS, dynamic and fast with the smoothness of tubes and it never broke a sweat even at high listening levels. We also traded the Rogue 99 Magnum for the Mapletree and tried out Bryan's Bolder PS with the Squeezebox. It definitely made a nice sound nicer. I'm definitely moving into Squeezebox territory. I think last night pushed me over the edge. As soon as I get my new DAC built, I think the SB is next.  :drool:

We also messed with Bryan's mind with some power cord swapouts. It's always something ain't it? :green:

Thanks again to Alan and his wife for their hospitality. A tip of the hat to the New York Audio Raver's CD mix. The live Nils Lofgren made for great equipment comparisons.  :rock:

steve k

DeadFish

« Reply #52 on: 29 Oct 2006, 03:57 pm »
Great pix, Steve!  Yer right about the NY Ravers' disk.  Some great stuff for all to become familiar with and compare thru the ages on different gear.  It might inspire a similar project for us, if we have enough 'benchmark' cuts we'd like to use. 
Looks like you fellas had a suitably great bunch of stuff there to sample, and I would have liked to have heard a smidgeon, I'm sure.  I have new-found respect for both VMPS and Butler, and it sounds like it matched well. 
Sorry to have missed meeting Bob and hearing his open baffles, as well, but now that you have a 'taste' Bob, I like to think we will encounter each other sooner or later.
Maybe next time folks, I won't be such a 'dead-ass'.  :deadhorse:  and find it easier to get there.  :green:

Regards,
DeadFish

Mathew_M

« Reply #53 on: 29 Oct 2006, 04:00 pm »
So were you guys bi-amping the Butler with the VTL or just running the Butler full range? 

Once you get past the software, the Squeezebox is an amazing piece of audiophile gear.  Since I bought my Jolida 302b I haven't listened to nearly as much vinyl because the Squeezebox is so smooth and refined--and easy to use.

steve k

« Reply #54 on: 29 Oct 2006, 04:03 pm »
We ran the Butler full range on the VMPS. We only ran the VTL on the open baffles.

Mathew_M

« Reply #55 on: 29 Oct 2006, 04:07 pm »
What's the house sound of the Butler compared to say the VTL? (to which I have reference of)

I've seen those Butler amps go for $1600 on Agon so if they can run a speaker like the RM40 full range then they are a heckuva deal.

alexstl

« Reply #56 on: 29 Oct 2006, 04:28 pm »
Thank you Alan to you and your hip wife, who has given you the green light to be a "vinyl head" and allows giant speakers in the house.  She's a keeper.  Loved hearing the open baffle's and the major difference between the tube and SS amp driving them.  Thanks again for another great GAS night!  Alex

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #57 on: 29 Oct 2006, 05:23 pm »
By the way guys, a couple of you asked me specific questions about the drivers that I couldn't answer.
Here's a link to the driver page........

http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/drivers.htm

Thanks again,
Bob

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #58 on: 29 Oct 2006, 06:02 pm »
Matthew.

We didn't do the VTL on the VMPS last night.  The last time we were there with the VTL, it was part of a biamp setup.  Can't give you an exact difference but on the OB's we did both and I think everyone preferred the Butler.

On the VMPS, the sound was very smooth but with enough guts to really get the ribbons moving but keep the bottom end under control.

Bryan

sturgus

« Reply #59 on: 29 Oct 2006, 08:28 pm »
Alan, thanks for the invite. I had a great time listening to the different stuff. I love the way the Butler sounds with the VMPS . I think this was a substantial upgrade over the Carver you were using. The system sounds more balanced and coherent. Bob it was great meeting you and hope to see you again soon. I think your speakers are a great deal for the money. The set boys are going to love these. Bryan that P/S for the SB3 is real nice sounding might be looking for one of those soon. As always enjoyed my self immensely.
Sturgus