USB Off Ramp Turbo 2 is terrific

Brucemck

USB Off Ramp Turbo 2 is terrific
« on: 3 Dec 2006, 10:52 pm »
I've had my Turbo 2 for two months, but just got it going at 24/96 using SRC resampler to 24/96.  (I had to get a new laptop, because my old micro portable Dell didn't have the chops to run anything other than 16/44.)

This is one terrific "transport".

Without the SRC the Turbo 2 was close to, but not quite as good as, my Meridian 800v4 feeding my Meridian 861v4 dac/processor. (The 800 is a VERY expensive transport and far from a "fair" comparison in any traditional sense of the word, particularly given that it both upsamples and has a Meridian proprietary anti jitter "handshake / buffering" going on with the companion 861.)  Without the SRC I felt the 800 had a bit more body on hard transients such as lower piano registers, and, a bit more air and space around vocalists.  It was close, but the 800 won.

With the SRC upsampling to 24/96 the Turbo 2 now handily beats the 800.  There's more air, more space, and a more "relaxed" gestalt to the music.  It's obvious within the first few seconds, and it's very seductive.

So, it beats a "Class A" component hands down, at a big delta in price and convenience.  Way to go Steve.

audioengr

Re: USB Off Ramp Turbo 2 is terrific
« Reply #1 on: 3 Dec 2006, 11:38 pm »
I've had my Turbo 2 for two months, but just got it going at 24/96 using SRC resampler to 24/96.  (I had to get a new laptop, because my old micro portable Dell didn't have the chops to run anything other than 16/44.)

This is one terrific "transport".

Without the SRC the Turbo 2 was close to, but not quite as good as, my Meridian 800v4 feeding my Meridian 861v4 dac/processor. (The 800 is a VERY expensive transport and far from a "fair" comparison in any traditional sense of the word, particularly given that it both upsamples and has a Meridian proprietary anti jitter "handshake / buffering" going on with the companion 861.)  Without the SRC I felt the 800 had a bit more body on hard transients such as lower piano registers, and, a bit more air and space around vocalists.  It was close, but the 800 won.

With the SRC upsampling to 24/96 the Turbo 2 now handily beats the 800.  There's more air, more space, and a more "relaxed" gestalt to the music.  It's obvious within the first few seconds, and it's very seductive.

So, it beats a "Class A" component hands down, at a big delta in price and convenience.  Way to go Steve.

This is great, thanks.   I'm not lying now when I claim that it outperforms the best transports on the planet :D

Are you using the new Foobar2000 or the older one that I recommended?

Steve N.

Brucemck

Re: USB Off Ramp Turbo 2 is terrific
« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2006, 11:50 pm »

I'm using the Foobar that shipped with the unit