Nuprime and Amphion

newworld

Nuprime and Amphion
« on: 19 Nov 2019, 07:05 am »
Hello, all. I'm looking at the Nuprime IDA8 to go with my Amphion Helium 510's. Will 100 watts really be sufficient? It seems to have all the features that I need, but I've never owned a Class D amplifier, so it's hard to judge how it will compare to typical 60 watt British amplifiers.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Nuprime and Amphion
« Reply #1 on: 19 Nov 2019, 11:15 am »
Your Amphion Helium 510's are excellent speakers.  Although rated at 86 dB/w/m (no impedance rating found) from the reviews I've found they appear to be an easy load.  Have owned three class D amps: Channel Island Audio D-100 mono-blocks (originals, 100 watts); Temple Audio mono-blocks (70 watts); and NAD M10 integrated (100 watts/channel); all rated at 8 ohms.  From my experience class D watts are not "empty" watts, so you should have no problem mating it to a NuPrime IDA-8. 

newworld

« Reply #2 on: 19 Nov 2019, 07:19 pm »
Thanks. I don't know if Hypex is considered Class D, but I've tried NAD c368, and it couldn't make anything sing. I even had more efficient speakers at the time. I've also found that most small integrated's tend to run out of steam on large classical works. I'm hoping the IDA8 is able to give me grip and poise.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2019, 04:14 am »
The Helium 410’s should be in my possession by the end of the week. They will be driven by 140 watt Class D mono blocks and I am confident it will work out just fine.  :D

I had an IDA-8 on loan briefly and it’s a terrific amp with 100 very real watts per channel.  :whip:

I can’t imagine you being anything less than happy with it. :thumb:

newworld

« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2019, 06:20 am »
The Helium 410’s should be in my possession by the end of the week. They will be driven by 140 watt Class D mono blocks and I am confident it will work out just fine.  :D

I had an IDA-8 on loan briefly and it’s a terrific amp with 100 very real watts per channel.  :whip:

I can’t imagine you being anything less than happy with it. :thumb:

I certainly hope so. I've never been happy with anything less than 100 watts. Pop music is done very easily by almost any amplifier. It's when you put some Mahler in front of it you start to appreciate raw power.

You are gonna have a lot of fun with the 410's. I went through a lot of speakers before arriving at these. They really are phenomenal speakers at any price.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #5 on: 20 Nov 2019, 02:54 pm »
Amphion is one of those less than ubiquitous brands in America, but everything I’ve read about their various models has been stellar.  :thumb:

zoom25

« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2019, 07:05 pm »
Regarding the amps required, when I was looking for amps to go along with One15, I asked users their experiences with Amphion Amp100 and Amp500 driving the One15 or One18. Lots of users bought multiple monitors and amps to try out the different combinations. For the bigger One18, Two15, Two18 models, they preferred the Amp500. However, on the One15's (5.25" woofer), they preferred the Amp100 sonically over the beefier Amp500. I have the Amp100 (2x100W) to drive my One15's and there is more than enough headroom and it sounds fantastic. It's not missing out on the body or being sloppy whatsoever. If you were looking for an amp for the bigger models, then you could even do mono bridged versions of the Amp500, which would give you 1000W for each speaker. In those cases, people do find benefit to that extra power. I'm not sure if its the case with the Nuprime amps, but the Amphion amps sound better left on 24/7. They don't generate much heat provided you don't stack them with other gear. You may want to do the same Nuprime or whatever Class D amp you go with. I have tried other brand of amps with the One15 and didn't like them as much as I did with Amphion's amp. I also went the Amphion speaker cables to get the voicing as intended by the manufacturer. Not sure how much difference the speaker cable makes as it's troublesome to change speaker cables so I didn't A/B with standard wire. For interconnects, I definitely do hear differences in both systems among all the popular brands (e.g. Mogami). Currently using Grimm TPR for both analog and digital as it's 110 wire.

newworld

« Reply #7 on: 21 Nov 2019, 06:39 pm »
Regarding the amps required, when I was looking for amps to go along with One15, I asked users their experiences with Amphion Amp100 and Amp500 driving the One15 or One18. Lots of users bought multiple monitors and amps to try out the different combinations. For the bigger One18, Two15, Two18 models, they preferred the Amp500. However, on the One15's (5.25" woofer), they preferred the Amp100 sonically over the beefier Amp500. I have the Amp100 (2x100W) to drive my One15's and there is more than enough headroom and it sounds fantastic. It's not missing out on the body or being sloppy whatsoever. If you were looking for an amp for the bigger models, then you could even do mono bridged versions of the Amp500, which would give you 1000W for each speaker. In those cases, people do find benefit to that extra power. I'm not sure if its the case with the Nuprime amps, but the Amphion amps sound better left on 24/7. They don't generate much heat provided you don't stack them with other gear. You may want to do the same Nuprime or whatever Class D amp you go with. I have tried other brand of amps with the One15 and didn't like them as much as I did with Amphion's amp. I also went the Amphion speaker cables to get the voicing as intended by the manufacturer. Not sure how much difference the speaker cable makes as it's troublesome to change speaker cables so I didn't A/B with standard wire. For interconnects, I definitely do hear differences in both systems among all the popular brands (e.g. Mogami). Currently using Grimm TPR for both analog and digital as it's 110 wire.

Good info. Thanks! It's encouraging that Amphion's own amps are Class D. The NAD C368 I had tried was a real failure, and it really lingered on me. Maybe it was my previous speakers that was the bad match.

zoom25

« Reply #8 on: 21 Nov 2019, 07:17 pm »
Good info. Thanks! It's encouraging that Amphion's own amps are Class D. The NAD C368 I had tried was a real failure, and it really lingered on me. Maybe it was my previous speakers that was the bad match.

The Marantz (thick, slow and veiled) and Emotiva (bright and slighty harsh) amps I had did not match that well with the Amphions. The Amphion amps use Anaview modules inside them. Anssi went around and tested a bunch of amps before settling on the Anaview modules. It turns out that the Anaview guys were using Amphion speakers to develop their amps. No wonder they sound right together.

I won't comment any further since this is a Nuprime forum. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

kazsud

« Reply #9 on: 23 Nov 2019, 05:39 pm »
The amp100 and amp500 are great for the studio, not for the living room.

I have the Argon 3S and the Amp100 and I have buyers remorse.

rpw

« Reply #10 on: 23 Nov 2019, 06:11 pm »
Kazsud, could you elaborate more on the reason you have buyers remorse? Is it the amp or speakers or both?

I have Amphion Krypton3s and drive them with Hypex NC400 mono amps which sound great. I was thinking of getting an AMP 1000 which is two AMP 500s bridged. I love the Kryptons which replaced my Wilson W/P 5s.

Thanks

rustydoglim

« Reply #11 on: 26 Nov 2019, 06:06 pm »
With the AMG series coming out, you will not run out of NuPrime amps to try :)
https://nuprimeaudio.com/product/amg-sta/

AMG STA (stereo bridgeable to mono, similar to STA-9) is in the same level as ST-10/10M, but sounded different ("more relax", difficult to describe in words).