Virtue guts

srb

Re: Virtue guts
« Reply #20 on: 13 Oct 2009, 05:27 pm »
Will the new amps be labeled correctly as to Left / Right?

Steve

panomaniac

« Reply #21 on: 13 Oct 2009, 05:32 pm »
Yes they will!  And the layout will be a bit different, too.  We hope that it will make more sense.

nodiak

« Reply #22 on: 10 Nov 2009, 03:36 pm »
I may have missed it but what is the uF of the Virtue One caps being discussed?
Enjoying mine, but my speakers have similar almost bright character and want to experiment a little ( with both).
Thanks, Don

edit: thought I'd ask, as no time to open it up and see for myself for a few days.
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2009, 05:42 pm by nodiak »

earplay

• Do ya feel... lucky?
« Reply #23 on: 10 Nov 2009, 04:36 pm »
Don,

I don't have a Virtue amp, so I'll won't comment on the cap values. I will say that system interactions are important.

Recently, I had the audacity to make a suggestion to Michael Mardis about the kind of cap that would be better than Auri Caps. Well, the cap is only one of a long string of components that affect a system's sound.

If your speakers sound bright, then Auri Caps may not be a good match for you. However, how do you know if the brightness is being caused by the speakers? That's the question you need to answer. If the speakers are, indeed, bright, then you may want to deal with that issue to get a more neutral-sounding speaker.

Different caps, different ic's, different speaker cables, different speaker internals may be ways to address the brightness. Ya make your choices and ya take your chances.

I have Hornshoppe Horns which tend to be a bright. Auri Caps were not to my liking in my system, but neither were my speaker wires, nor my silver interconnects.

IT'S A CRAP SHOOT! There are certain tendencies in components, but how they will act in your system, you will know only from your experience. 

panomaniac

« Reply #24 on: 10 Nov 2009, 07:14 pm »
The input caps are 2.2uF  Is that what you are looking for?
You can use any value you want above about 1uF.  Smaller than that and you start to get bass roll off.

Larger than that and you get more of a power on "thump."  Generally a good quality film cap is used here, but feel free to use other types.  If using polarized caps, the negative lead  goes toward the pot.

nodiak

« Reply #25 on: 10 Nov 2009, 07:30 pm »
Thanks Michael. Just wanted the info for pondering, have sonicaps and some North Creek caps that will work if I get to it. That gives me something to do during the winter/audio season puttering. Time is tight but have a few drivers to try to mate to this nice amp.
Still been using the the Hemp fr8 and Scans 9300 with the xo discussed earlier in year (.5mH, and 1-2uF, 3ohm resistor on tw). Hope to build mltl or bib (mmaaybe) for hemps, and 50L vented for Meniscus Magi 8" - a surprisingly nice all day all music woofer. My new place doesn't have the room I like for ob's.
Take care, Don

Cheerwino

« Reply #26 on: 10 Nov 2009, 10:14 pm »

I have Hornshoppe Horns which tend to be a bright. Auri Caps were not to my liking in my system, but neither were my speaker wires, nor my silver interconnects.

I have Horn Shoppe Horns and they don't sound bright to me, no matter what amp I use (Virtue One, First Watt F1, Sansui 9090db, Miniwatt, Transcendent Sound Cathode Follower). Can't say that for my old JBL 4311b studio monitors or other stuff I've had through here. Now, they are bass shy without the right amp, in my room and to my ears.

Sometimes I wonder if room acoustics has more impact than what caps are in your amp (or on your head.)

panomaniac

« Reply #27 on: 10 Nov 2009, 10:26 pm »
Oh no!  Say it ain't so!
You are a true kill-joy for all the devoted cap rollers.  :?

(just kidding)

Cheerwino

« Reply #28 on: 10 Nov 2009, 10:35 pm »
Oh no!  Say it ain't so!
You are a true kill-joy for all the devoted cap rollers.  :?

(just kidding)

Oh no! I didn't mean to steal your joy!

nodiak

« Reply #29 on: 11 Nov 2009, 12:22 am »
The room is definitely #1. Same system in different place was warmer. Moving your gear to the kitchen or other room is instructive. Lots  of different places in the system to make adjustments, and many different tools to use. I don't listen much in the summer, then enjoy the hobby in winter. Try not to take it too seriously, enjoy it on a puttering and tinkering level. Trying to be more frugal this time... :wink:
Don

jbeard

« Reply #30 on: 15 Jan 2010, 02:32 pm »
I have a pair of 3.3uf sonicap Gen 1 bypassed with a .1uf Gen II.  Will this work well on the One.2 if I want to change out caps?  Any better suggestions?

Nuuk

• Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
    • Decibel Dungeon
« Reply #31 on: 15 Jan 2010, 04:14 pm »
I have a pair of 3.3uf sonicap Gen 1 bypassed with a .1uf Gen II.  Will this work well on the One.2 if I want to change out caps?  Any better suggestions?

There is only one way for you to find out! Same as if you ask us which brand of sugar will taste best in your coffee.   :wink:

Welborne

• I love open baffle with 100db sensitivity!
« Reply #32 on: 15 Jan 2010, 07:27 pm »
Dear Seth, please check mailbox  :green: :green: