Vintage Smut (formerly Show Us Your Pictures)

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Vintage Smut (formerly Show Us Your Pictures)
« Reply #60 on: 1 Oct 2012, 10:21 pm »
New Vintage crud has landed.
No, this is not some weird planar arrangement, it's my temporary lash up due to short cords.

So far, so good in Bryston land - no fireworks with this one.  The other one, well, one cap decided to call it quits.
I think that this one will be a good match for the MMG system downstairs as it's a very crisp sounding amplifier. 
A bit too bright for my tastes with the 1.7s and Sonic Frontiers preamp but that's just me.

P.S.
Now that it's warmed up a bit it sounds considerably, well, warmer.
I see now why Bryston gear has such a loyal following. 
The second 3B will allow me to use the 1.7s during the Summer when it's just too hot to have the VTLs cranking.
« Last Edit: 1 Oct 2012, 11:46 pm by SteveFord »

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #61 on: 5 Oct 2012, 09:26 pm »
The Brystons may or may not qualify as Dennis Hawkins at Bryston USA Service tells me that these were made around 1988.
How weird is it to have a serial number on the bottom of a component?

Perhaps these are a bit more qualified, the Fisher S-10 Speaker System made in Lonk Eyeland City, New Yawk.

These were recently given to me and I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet.
I'll have to hook them up and give them a listen this weekend. 
It's true, the torture never stops.

Posing for the picture is my favorite guitar, a satin finish ES-335 which was a gift from my wife. 
She's a keeper and so is this Gibson.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #62 on: 5 Oct 2012, 10:32 pm »
You can't touch this.  Yamaha CR-820.  It is the new cornerstone of my new office system.

AVnerdguy

« Reply #63 on: 5 Oct 2012, 11:42 pm »
My latest "barn find". A Harman Kardon TA 3000X. Needs a little TLC but functions very well considering its age. Complimentary 6V6GT outputs with 12AX7 (what else) front end. The amp is the easy part - the tuner uses some tubes that are becoming extremely scarce. The good news is that those tubes don't work too hard and hopefully will last quite awhile after I clean up the caps/resistors and do a complete alignment on the FM side. The AM section works well enough to leave as is.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #64 on: 6 Oct 2012, 01:15 am »
I might have some spare HK tuner tubes if you run into problems - let me know and I'll rummage around.

Whitese

« Reply #65 on: 5 Nov 2012, 11:26 pm »

FireGuy

« Reply #66 on: 11 Nov 2012, 03:48 pm »
Worked on the new audio cave since Friday night.  Pioneer PL-550 TT, Pioneer SX-850 Receiver, Sony CDP-245 CD player (not vintage), JVC SEA-33 GE, Optimus Center and Mit VHS (where else can I put it), pair of Sansui SP 5500x speakers  & one free 19" RCA monitor.

Wayner

« Reply #67 on: 11 Nov 2012, 05:09 pm »
A friend of mine just pick a perfect pair of these JBL C70s this week. Each cabinet (on rollers) has one 12" woofer (from the L100), one passive 12" woofer, a 4" mid-range and a 1 1/2" paper tweeter. Bass does not go as deep as the design suggests, but it is very solid and sweet. Mid-range and high end are very airy.

Wayner

milford3

« Reply #68 on: 15 Nov 2012, 10:03 pm »
FireGuy, those Sansui SP 5500x speakers are something to behold.  How do they sound connected to the vintage receiver?

FireGuy

« Reply #69 on: 16 Nov 2012, 01:13 am »
FireGuy, those Sansui SP 5500x speakers are something to behold.  How do they sound connected to the vintage receiver?

The SP's don't really sound that much different today than they did 30+ years ago with the Pioneer SS receiver.  The most obvious distinction of course is that compared to today's transducers.  Although they still deliver ear-bleeding SPL's it's a struggle for them to present a liquid midrange and overall transparancy.  They sound, on occasion as if they are covered with a light sheet.  However, with some of today's CD's (the Best of Sade) for example the highs and bass can sound rather good. 

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #70 on: 16 Nov 2012, 01:56 am »
Fireguy,
Have you tried a BBE Sonic Maximizer with those speakers?
You might be pleasantly surprised.  They don't always play nice with tube gear but with SS it should be just the ticket.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #71 on: 16 Nov 2012, 03:09 am »
i know it is sick to use a deqx w/a pair of speakers you pick up on craigslist for $20, but my sansui sp2500's, (98db efficient), which sounded quite nice on their own, being driven w/an almarro a205a mkll, sounded truly outstanding when the deqx was added.   :o

doug s.

FireGuy

« Reply #72 on: 16 Nov 2012, 08:54 pm »
Fireguy,
Have you tried a BBE Sonic Maximizer with those speakers?
You might be pleasantly surprised.  They don't always play nice with tube gear but with SS it should be just the ticket.

I have not SteveFord.  But, the BBE Sonic 382i (sounds like a BMW) can be had for a C note...hummm.   I do have a JVC SEA-33 GE I need to connect (waiting for a herd of RCA connects from Monoprice).  The SEA-33 however can only be applied to one "tape" source, so in this case the CD player.  Your BBE is something to think about though.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #73 on: 16 Nov 2012, 11:00 pm »
They're are two BBE ARS units on eBay right now which are the same difference as the 2000 & 2002R Sonic Maximizer.
If I remember correctly, I stuck them in the Tape Loop but sold them off when the Sonic Frontiers preamps made my Magnepans go berserk.
They did work with the Sunfire Tube Preamp so not all tube gear will be affected.

jhm731

« Reply #74 on: 17 Nov 2012, 12:04 am »

George3

« Reply #75 on: 17 Nov 2012, 02:02 am »
Both bought brand new in 1973..... Advent's $107.00 each, Datsun 240Z $2870.00..Both still in my garage......

FireGuy

« Reply #76 on: 17 Nov 2012, 02:44 am »
Aesthetically these older Marantz and Pioneer SS receivers are gorgeous.  I'm fortunate to have the Pioneer but I did have a opportunity for the Marantz as well.  Stunning.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #77 on: 17 Nov 2012, 02:49 am »
Both bought brand new in 1973..... Advent's $107.00 each, Datsun 240Z $2870.00..Both still in my garage......

Oooh, your 240 looks marvelous! :thumb:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #78 on: 17 Nov 2012, 04:04 am »
My Design Acoustic D-12's- still in use for HT.

And my Knight Kit KB-85, currently powering my small room system.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #79 on: 17 Nov 2012, 05:02 am »

And both true classics. Sweet looking Z. Wish I'd spent the extra $7 each, I think it was, for the real wood veneer back then. Of course hindsight is usually 20/20.  :thumb: