Denon 103

VSV

Denon 103
« on: 14 Apr 2010, 02:59 am »
Anyone try this cartridge on their Amadeus? It's a pretty heavy cart with a low compliance so technically it shouldn't be a good match with the Amadeus' tonearm but I'm still curious.

Heck it's so cheap to buy in it's stock form I may buy it for sh**ts and giggles.

Any thoughts?

ghunter

Re: Denon 103
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2010, 12:05 am »
I tried the top of the line imported 103R on my WTA and was far from impressed.  The Shelter 501mk2 is so far above the level of this cartridge it's not even funny.  If you're going to spend the money on a WTA this cartridge will be the weak link by a long shot and not show you what your rig is capable of.

VSV

« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2010, 12:52 am »
Yeah I figured as much.  The weight of the cartridge would probably cause issues as well. I'm probably going to just stick with a XX-2 from Dynavector. I pretty much loved the first version. I might have to try out the Koetsu Black or Lyra Delos as well. I'll be sure to post my findings.

Gopher

« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr 2010, 01:14 am »
I'm a Well Tempered Reference user and have really enjoyed having a DL-103D on my arm.  That input probably isn't worth much as it's a higher compliance cartridge on a different arm, but I do think there is a positive synergy. 

I've also got a Zu103 Grade 2 which I have not gotten around to mounting...  The added weight of the aluminum body might be cheating, but I'll update you guys on how it does with my WTR.

Raiderone

« Reply #4 on: 1 May 2010, 12:24 am »
Anyone try this cartridge on their Amadeus? It's a pretty heavy cart with a low compliance so technically it shouldn't be a good match with the Amadeus' tonearm but I'm still curious.
Heck it's so cheap to buy in it's stock form I may buy it for sh**ts and giggles.
Any thoughts?

I'm running a 103 on my Amadeus.  It is really really good sounding.  No it does not have the top and bottom refinement of my 901.  But, the midrange is magic.  If you use the 103, blu tack a quartz pebble to the top of the tonearm.  This will stabilize the cartridge and sound.

vortrex

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jul 2012, 07:40 pm »
Any other thoughts of a 103R (maybe with a Uwe wood body) on the WTA?  It seems some people think low compliance carts on the WTA work great and others feel the direct opposite.  I run a low compliance Zephyr now and think it sounds good, but want to start experimenting with LOMC.

BPoletti

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jul 2012, 08:51 pm »
A 103R beats a 103.  A 103R nude with a wood body beats a 103R.  An AT-OC9ML/II beats a 103R nude with a wood body.  An AT-OC9ML/II nude beats an AT-OC9ML/II. 

threadkiller

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jul 2012, 11:04 pm »
Vortex,
They'll work just fine. No worries.
Love the 103. Super fun. Can really benefit from a good phono stage.
Hence my disagreement with the AT being better. Had an AT on my WTL Classic for a while. Fine cartridge. Just when the 103 is done right, much more engaging. To these and my listening panels ears.
The Auditorium step up is a doozy for the 103.

I think the WT arm can take any compliance. I've heard a big assortment- never a problem. 

vortrex

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jul 2012, 11:25 pm »
Cool, it's amazing how opinions can be so different on this topic.  I'm thinking of the Choir Audio HM-7.  I may pick up a few different carts and experiment a little.

threadkiller

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jul 2012, 11:43 pm »
Good.  That I haven't heard of, only what we've tried.
And, I've been told, that Mr F used no less than 20 cartridges over his testing period of arm/table. That, and my own devices, is better than anyone's opinion, to me. Again I say that only because you never know what someone's using with what and how they are using it. I have actually been to some forum members homes, and from other sites, where setup and gear matching was atrocious. And wrong! Yet they come on like pontificating experts.   :lol:
I'll slide off my soapbox now and slink away...

jimdgoulding

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jul 2012, 12:19 am »
The 103 may be arm sensitive.  I could get excited by a ZU modified 103D sent off to Soundsmith for their line contact stylus and ruby cantilever mod for under a thousand clams all total.  Stereophile's Art Dudley thinks very highly of the ZU version.  I'd pair it with a sturdy arm.

threadkiller

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jul 2012, 12:29 am »
So what's the WT? A twig?
I dare say an over machined SME isn't the only game in town.

vortrex

« Reply #12 on: 21 Sep 2012, 03:50 am »
I ended up getting the A23 SUT, 103R, and A23 interconnects tonight.  breaking it all in now but it sounds pretty incredible for a $238 cart!

SteevA

« Reply #13 on: 21 Sep 2012, 05:10 am »
I have tried my 103R on the Versalex and it was OK but not the same league as the XX2.  I will try it again but next time include the weight I used to use with it on my Pioneer PL-71, until I got some heavier headshells.

Steve
« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2012, 11:19 am by SteevA »

threadkiller

« Reply #14 on: 21 Sep 2012, 05:20 am »
Steve, what phono stage did you use with your 103? Cables?
Vortex is using something made to work together. 
The xx2 is a far better cartridge, clearly, but the 103 can be tons of fun if done right, as vortex has done. He got it right!! It makes me so happy when someone actually buys the right stuff.
Cheers! Vortex!  And congrats.. You'll be busy playing lots of records....

vortrex

« Reply #15 on: 21 Sep 2012, 06:31 am »
I definitely have more gain now running this setup compared to the Zephyr I had before.  I need to get inside my phono stage tomorrow and flip the switches to the lower MM setting.  I don't know what the A23 SUT is doing since their specs are always a mystery it seems.

SteevA

« Reply #16 on: 21 Sep 2012, 11:28 am »
Steve, what phono stage did you use with your 103? Cables?
Vortex is using something made to work together. 
The xx2 is a far better cartridge, clearly, but the 103 can be tons of fun if done right, as vortex has done. He got it right!! It makes me so happy when someone actually buys the right stuff.
Cheers! Vortex!  And congrats.. You'll be busy playing lots of records....
I used the same P75 that I use for the XX2, but with different settings. Cables are mogami plus silver bullets. The 103r worked really well on the PL71, on which the XX2 did not perform at its best.

threadkiller

« Reply #17 on: 21 Sep 2012, 02:40 pm »
P75 and 103 not as good a match. 
The xx2 was telling you something...

SteevA

« Reply #18 on: 21 Sep 2012, 03:23 pm »
103r was not a good match when p75 was on DrT setfings but was fine when not. They were a good match on the PL71. However I didnt try 103r with anything else.

Ithink what the XX2 was telling me was that it needed a better TT.

threadkiller

« Reply #19 on: 21 Sep 2012, 03:56 pm »
I heard that!
That's why you see a good dealer advise someone not to put a more expensive refined cartridge on a lesser table and arm.  Or have a mismatched phono stage.  Now, if you want to take your xx2-p75 to another level, add the new stepup transformer from Dynavector, the SUP200 and look out! Oh my goodness.