New member- Hopeful new WTA owner soon

Kt77

Re: New member- Hopeful new WTA owner soon
« Reply #20 on: 5 Jul 2012, 11:42 pm »
May not quite be at the Rega level of set it and forget it. But this stuff doesn't take too long to get sorted out. And I'd far rather mess with these types of things than digging out protractors for proper cartridge alignment.

But of course, what would be ideal is to compare a  comparably priced  and properly set-up Rega and a properly set-up WTA side-by-side...

It's been done..........., I've heard an Amadeus compared to a Rega P9. It made the P9 sound as if it was broken. From what I heard along with two others during this Demo, it was clear even then - I'd be going after the WTA. Just the facts.

Regards, Oscar

jshefik

« Reply #21 on: 6 Jul 2012, 12:03 am »
Without resorting to name calling, after a day of getting to know the WTA, adjustments are quick and only  frequent as I am seeing what is what at this point.The sound is all good. As with any new addition to a system, to wring out all the potential, you must be a bit of a tweaker(the good kind)

I see drubin you are also from the Bay area, you could come for a listen if you like. What TT do you have now?

bmurphy

« Reply #22 on: 6 Jul 2012, 10:34 am »
May not quite be at the Rega level of set it and forget it. But this stuff doesn't take too long to get sorted out. And I'd far rather mess with these types of things than digging out protractors for proper cartridge alignment.

On the other hand though, I did just that after seeing the "stupid protractor" mentioned in a recent thread about an older WTL table. I got to thinking that even though you can't adjust the cart at the headshell you could adjust overhang and offset by moving the ball's position in the cup. By moving the grommet that adjusts azimuth and swinging the horizontal piece of the hanger you can accurately place the ball wherever you want. I used the stylus of the XX-2 to see when the ball was in the right place as determined by a 2 point Baerwald protractor. For my particular cart the ball had to be moved from dead center to the 4 o'clock position closer to the side of the cup. I hear an improvement in focus and soundstage width but it isn't the sort of thing you can A/B all that easily and expectation bias is proportional to the effort expended so YMMV, as they say.

I offer this as a suggestion so that if you are the sort who likes tweaking and fiddling then by all means give it a shot. Or, if the lack of cartridge adjustment at the headshell puts you off the table on principle then this can overcome that objection. If you aren't in either camp then as WTL themselves say "Some alignment protractors may well disagree. However, The Well Tempered Lab stands by their convictions".

jshefik

« Reply #23 on: 6 Jul 2012, 03:22 pm »
Thanks Bob, one more variable to throw in my tweak loving brain! I thought I was done with protractors...

drubin

« Reply #24 on: 6 Jul 2012, 04:24 pm »
My Rega comment was meant somewhat tongue-in-cheek and I'm pleased to have gotten such a good rise out of this group.  :lol:

Although I have given some thought to getting an RP-6 with a Rega cartridge, just to keep things very simple.  I'll be replacing a Linn LP-12, which I've had for decades.  I want a change, but the majority of my listening these days is to digital, so I don't want to make too big an investment.  A few years back, I picked up a used Kuzma StabiS/StogiS.  It was the first unipivot arm I had used and I never got comfortable with it.  So when I read about jshefik's initial struggles, second thoughts started creeping in.  I need to get a little hands-on time with the WTA, I think. 

bmurphy

« Reply #25 on: 6 Jul 2012, 07:25 pm »
Thanks Bob, one more variable to throw in my tweak loving brain! I thought I was done with protractors...

It's Brendan actually, but I take your point... I thought I was done with them too!

jshefik

« Reply #26 on: 6 Jul 2012, 08:44 pm »
Woeoops! I must have seen Bob in my head, since ages ago, there was a golfer named Bob Murphy...I just printed out the WTA protractor (why the hell is it not to scale in the manual?) after dropping it into photoshop. It scaled correctly in there. I was just about to make sure I at least hit that, as I tried my AccuTrack Protractor, and was not even in the same state, trying to line it up (Baerwald)

bmurphy

« Reply #27 on: 6 Jul 2012, 08:55 pm »
I was somewhat printer challenged as well - took at least 5 pages before the scale was right. Portrait. Landscape. Turn off auto-rotate. Set size to 100% for, like, the kajillionth time...

jshefik

« Reply #28 on: 6 Jul 2012, 09:24 pm »

I just sent an e-mail to Mike with this picture. Scarily out of line...I did not change the headshell alignment during Cart install .Did you get yours to print to scale? was the sylus x out on the label, like in my picture?

bmurphy

« Reply #29 on: 6 Jul 2012, 09:46 pm »
When I printed out the "stupid protractor" there was a choice of Baerwald or Loefgren 2 point method. There were 2 grids on each method.

Also, mine was out by nearly the same amount as yours but in the other direction, i.e. needed to be rotated clockwise to line up. Here is what mine looked like printed to the proper scale.

(edit to add I just read you printed out the WTA protractor - never mind. No idea how that is meant to be used.)

jshefik

« Reply #30 on: 6 Jul 2012, 09:58 pm »
Mike just confirmed headshell angle should be 19 degrees(long time since I've gotten that protractor out!) Mine looks to be at 21 or so. Taking cart off now...