End of summer get together

mgalusha

End of summer get together
« on: 6 Sep 2008, 09:42 pm »
Time for another get together, using the end of summer as an excuse. :)

I've talked with my wife and she's amenable to having the house invaded by audiophiles next weekend so I thought I'd put out the invite. Either day next weekend is OK with us and I've talked to the other Mike G (tweekgeek) and he's good with either day so for anyone who would like to drop by for some music and munchies let me know which is a better day and we'll plan accordingly. I'd like to get an approximate head count as Mary would like to plan the food and she is very organized so the better my input, the better the results. This isn't meant to be any kind of hard core comparison/shootout, more a gathering to chew the fat and enjoy some tunes and camaraderie.

As for goodies above and beyond my regular system I have the Eastern Electric M156 mono amps that Bill O'Connell has provided for RMAF and Mike G. will be bringing a pair of the latest amps from Spectron. Nothing like a kilowatt to drive the mids and tweeters. :o  Oh yes, BigRed the OTL is back in business as it was troubled at the last GTG. It still has a bit more noise than I would like but I do so love the sound. Since my system is actively bi-amped we won't be running any of the amps full range unless someone wants to bring along a set of full range speakers. Hmm, perhaps we can talk Mike into bringing the Usher BE178's, he tells me how good they sound with the Spectrons. :)

I suspect Wayne will bring a modified Duet Receiver or two. My Squeezebox now sports a tube output stage that I like but of course others may prefer the SS output of a Duet. Vinyl is always an option and the M156's really sing to me with a record spinning away.

I also have added a pair of REL Strata III's which are somewhat randomly placed as suggested by Dr. Geddes and this has helped to remove some of the bass resonance and of course adds a little more punch to the bottom end.

I'll provide the food and non-alcoholic drinks (well maybe a little Scotch ;)) so if anyone wants any beer, they will have to bring some as I'm just not a beer drinker.

For those who haven't been here, we're 8 miles north of Elizabeth and about 9 miles east of Parker. Yep, out in the country so take that into consideration. We're about 1/2 hour drive from the DTC and a good hour from the north or west side of the city. Please RSVP here and PM or email me if you need directions. I figure about 8 folks is about all that we can fit in comfortably but a few more is OK providing the weather is nice and you don't mind shuffling in and out every so often.

Mike

jrebman

Re: End of summer get together
« Reply #1 on: 6 Sep 2008, 10:46 pm »
Mike,

Damn!  Got another concert to produce next weekend so can't make it.  One of these days.

BTW, Li'l Red just arrived this past week so maybe one of these days I'll be able to bring her to a G2G -- though it's probably enough juice to power your tweeters :D.

For those who don't know, Li'l Red is the Vaughn Audio Carina with a custom Harley Davidson factory red paint job.  Of course it will also be a couple of months before the teflon V-caps are ready for prime time, but between the red, the copper hammertone endbells on the trannies and PS choke, and the maple burl knob with brass insert from SomeYoung Guy, she's a real looker.

Have fun and I'll probably see most of you at RMAF in a little over a month anyway.

-- Jim

BradJudy

« Reply #2 on: 6 Sep 2008, 11:06 pm »
I wish I could be there.  Say hi to the gang for me. 

mgalusha

« Reply #3 on: 7 Sep 2008, 01:32 am »
Jim & Brad,

Sorry you can't make it but of course RMAF is just around the corner.

Mike

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: 8 Sep 2008, 01:47 am »
Update, one person has indicated that Sunday would be preferable so as not to interfere with College football so for the moment we're leaning toward Sunday.

Mike

audioferret

« Reply #5 on: 8 Sep 2008, 02:54 am »
Grrr... I have an unavoidable commitment next weekend - otherwise I would be there. 

See you all at RMAF!  That one is already penciled in on the joint calendar...
 aa

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 8 Sep 2008, 05:17 am »
Usually I'm working on huge research papers for my masters degree on the weekends, so I'm a little spotty.  But I would definitely like to come and I'll try to make it if at ALL possible.

mgalusha

« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2008, 05:20 pm »
Looks like Sunday it is, say about noon or so.

Will send PM with map link to those who need it. Jody and Tyson for sure.

brj

« Reply #8 on: 11 Sep 2008, 01:25 am »
Hi Mike!

I've been swamped or away from the computer lately and had little chance to surf, but I managed to catch your post... just to be clear, you're referring to this coming Sunday, the 14th, correct?  If so, I might be able to attend if you have room for one more.  I should know for sure by the end of the week.  (I have a group hike next Sunday that will take most of the day.)

PeteG

« Reply #9 on: 11 Sep 2008, 01:53 am »
I should know Friday if I can make it, I’ll let you know.

Pete

mgalusha

« Reply #10 on: 11 Sep 2008, 02:06 am »
Brian and Pete, yep, this coming Sunday the 14th. If you both can come that will be great. We'll have a full house but that's always more fun. :) Nothing like 8 or 9 guys in a room with 30 vacuum tubes. :)

PM me if you need directions. Pete, I don't think you've been to the new house so PM me and I'll send you the info. If you need the address/directions again Brian let me know.

cryotweaks

• Funny name. Serious audio.
    • TweekGeek.com
« Reply #11 on: 11 Sep 2008, 02:22 pm »
I will be there. Extra chairs, Spectron amps, Be 718's and stands too!

sunshinedawg

« Reply #12 on: 11 Sep 2008, 03:46 pm »
I should be able to make it if there's still room. I don't take up much space!  :lol:

Sean

mgalusha

« Reply #13 on: 11 Sep 2008, 04:26 pm »
You're welcome to come Sean. It will be cozy but the weather is supposed to be fair on Sunday so if we run out of room there is always the back porch and some beer. :)

Do you need directions or do you have them from last time?

Mike

VFib

« Reply #14 on: 11 Sep 2008, 07:32 pm »
Hi Mike,

I met you at a CAS meeting earlier in spring.

I wish I could make it, as I am very interested in visiting with you in your digs, and listening to your gear. And of course picking your brain about DIY!

Best Regards,
Steve

brj

« Reply #15 on: 11 Sep 2008, 09:01 pm »
Mike are you particularly interested in auditioning any particular component during your get-together?  I don't have an active system at the moment (as I still don't have my speakers back), but assuming my Sunday stays clear, I'm happy to lug along any of the following:

1) Tube Research Labs modded AudioLogic 24 MXL DAC
2) CEC TL51X transport
3) BPT 3.5 Signature (with some ala carte additions from BPT)
4) Gregg Straley speaker cables

Just let me know!

mgalusha

« Reply #16 on: 11 Sep 2008, 09:02 pm »
Hi Mike,

I met you at a CAS meeting earlier in spring.

I wish I could make it, as I am very interested in visiting with you in your digs, and listening to your gear. And of course picking your brain about DIY!

Perhaps next time Steve.

mike

mgalusha

« Reply #17 on: 11 Sep 2008, 09:12 pm »
Mike are you particularly interested in auditioning any particular component during your get-together?  I don't have an active system at the moment (as I still don't have my speakers back), but assuming my Sunday stays clear, I'm happy to lug along any of the following:

1) Tube Research Labs modded AudioLogic 24 MXL DAC
2) CEC TL51X transport
3) BPT 3.5 Signature (with some ala carte additions from BPT)
4) Gregg Straley speaker cables

Brian,

Nothing in particular as I'm seeing this as more of a hang out and play music thing but being that we may has as many as 5 power amps on hand plus the Usher BE 718's and who knows what else, so you might as well bring along anything you like. We can play around until we run out of gas. :) I'd kind of like to hear the Tube Research DAC. All my front end gear is plugged into a BPT 2.5 that I have hacked up the insides of, so it's likely similar to your 3.5 signature though of course not the same.

mike

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #18 on: 13 Sep 2008, 03:03 am »
As of now I'm on track to be there.  I'll bring my fully tricked out Duet w/super duper PS.  And of course some music that no one else can stand.....

brj

« Reply #19 on: 13 Sep 2008, 10:53 pm »
I'm in!

Mike, if you could, refresh my memory on your address via PM or email, if you don't mind!  Did we have a definite start time?

I'll bring the AudioLogic DAC.  It's much lighter than the BPT! :)

Wayne, I'm happy to carpool if you like - just let me know what time to be at your house.  I'm happy to drive as well, if everything will fit in the trunk and/or backseat of my car.