SP1.7 and video switching

jgubman

« on: 18 Aug 2004, 11:02 pm »
I'm thinking seriously about upgrading to the SP1.7, I like everything about it, including the lack of video switching.

However, how is everybody doing their video switching? I currently have 3 component devices (could be 2 component and 1 dvi) and 2 s-video devices. My monitor unfortunately can't handle all that.

The only two options I see out there are the iScan HD (2 components, 1 dvi, 2 svideo, 2 composite), which would have the bonus of line scaling. The other option would be the SPV-1, which would have the OSD bonus.

Both are pretty pricey though.

Are there other options out there?

jimmyp58

« Reply #1 on: 18 Aug 2004, 11:06 pm »
I run everything through my tv.  If you are short on component device inputs on your tv and you have three units to connect, there's a very inexpensive way to accomplish this albeit no frills.  Audio Authority makes a unit, the 1154, that allows up to four (4) component devices in and one out to your tv.  I used to use it before I have my current tv and it worked wonderful.  MSRP I believe is ~$189.

Jim

jgubman

« Reply #2 on: 18 Aug 2004, 11:26 pm »
Yeah, I'm aware of that unit and the similar Zektor unit.

I really wanted a unit that had component, composite and svideo and did switching via remote codes.

I guess you're right though, my TV could handle the svideo switching and the AA or Zektor unit could accomodate the component switching...

Levi

Video Switcher
« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2004, 01:13 am »
I use my TV to do all the video switching.  The down side to this is instead of using one long cable from the TV to your video switcher, you will require the same length of cable from your TV to your video equipment.  

If you have more than 4 videophile equipment, I would suggest you get a high quality video switcher.

gravy

• -Scott
Re: Video Switcher
« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2004, 01:49 am »
Quote from: Levi
I use my TV to do all the video switching.  The down side to this is instead of using one long cable from the TV to your video switcher, you will require the same length of cable from your TV to your video equipment.  

If you have more than 4 videophile equipment, I would suggest you get a high quality video switcher.

I use my HTPC as my video switcher.   DVDs (either played in the DVD drive or from my harddrive) via ZoomPlayer and satellite feed (via a capture card and DScaler (capture app)) are output from my video card, and piped directly to my projector.   The secondary VGA out on my video card goes to a HTPC monitor, which lets me control the computer.

Levi

« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2004, 02:15 am »
Quote from: gravy
I use my HTPC as my video switcher.   DVDs (either played in the DVD drive or from my harddrive) via ZoomPlayer and satellite feed (via a capture card and DScaler (capture app)) are output from my video card, and piped directly to my projector.   The secondary VGA out on my video card goes to a HTPC monitor, which lets me control the computer.

How's the sound coming from your computer sound card?  I found it noisy.  That was in 1985! :o

gravy

• -Scott
« Reply #6 on: 19 Aug 2004, 03:13 am »

How's the sound coming from your computer sound card?  I found it noisy.  That was in 1985! :o

:D   Things have improved since 85!  

I'm using a Creative Labs Audigy2 that has a decent s/n ratio (106db) and the ability to decode DVDA.   There is no doubt its not an "audiophile" solution, but for me, the flexibility it offers is amazing.  

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/audigy2/

It passes 5.1 analog to the sp1.7 and it sounds stunning.  The digital SPDIF output passes DD and DTS to the bryston for decoding.  For what its worth, it was the first soundcard to achieve a THX certification in Aug 2003.

A buddy of mine has compared the Audigy2 against a Denon 1200 (for DVDA) and found the Audigy2 did extremely well in comparision.  I'm *SURE* this is making the audiophiles cringe.. :)

Certainly not a solution for everyone - but there is a very low noise floor and a distinct lack of hiss.  Since the default drivers upsampled everything out the SPDIF to 48khz, i had to replace them with 3rd party drivers from kxproject.com which retain the original sample rate.   (damn you, Creative labs!)

I've been looking to upgrade this component since I'm *SURE* there are better soundcards, but the price/performance of this one has proven tough to beat.  I also have a Delta 410 soundcard installed which feeds the 3 other zones in the house besides the Home Theater.

To complete the geek setup, I use a Pocket PC to control things via a wireless network.

Anyone with ideas for high fidelity soundcards, please offer them up!

ec

« Reply #7 on: 19 Aug 2004, 05:04 am »
I use a Focus Enhancments CentreStage 2 scaler.  I don't think the SPV-1 has DVI and it may not do upconversion eg Svideo in component out.  If you are using a projector I highly recommend a scaler because will have a ton of flexibility with aspect ratio control, scaling, deinterlacing, digital to analog (eg SDI / DVI non hdcp in to RGBHV or component out) and vice versa (component, Svideo in and DVI out), output resolution and much much more.

There many decent scalers out there that won't break the bank like the Iscan HD, FE CS-2, Lumagen Vision HDP (in beta), Crystalio 2300 and the list goes on.

The SPV1 is very compelling if you are switiching only analog inputs and your projector TV only accepts these same analog connections namely Component and Svideo.

Levi

« Reply #8 on: 19 Aug 2004, 05:25 am »
:D   Things have improved since 85!  

I'm using a Creative Labs Audigy2 that has a decent s/n ratio (106db) and the ability to decode DVDA.   There is no doubt its not an "audiophile" solution, but for me, the flexibility it offers is amazing.  

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/audigy2/

It passes 5.1 analog to the sp1.7 and it sounds stunning.  The digital SPDIF output passes DD and DTS to the bryston for decoding.  For what its worth, it was the first soundcard to achieve a THX certification i ...

I use Audigy2 sound card in my pc (not connected to SP1.7)...yes it's 24/96 playback/capture and 24/192 DVD-A DAC .  It's the best bang for the buck!

Here is a link to where you can find pro-grade sound cards...Lynx2 starts at @$1,107.50

I think we are far away from the video switcher here :lol: .  Cheers-Levi

gravy

• -Scott
« Reply #9 on: 19 Aug 2004, 01:30 pm »
I use Audigy2 sound card in my pc (not connected to SP1.7)...yes it's 24/96 playback/capture and 24/192 DVD-A DAC .  It's the best bang for the buck!

Here is a link to where you can find pro-grade sound cards...Lynx2 starts at @$1,107.50

I think we are far away from the video switcher here :lol: .  Cheers-Levi

Agreed Levi!  :lol:

nicolasb

« Reply #10 on: 21 Aug 2004, 07:56 am »
On the subject of PC sound cards - there are "professional" cards which sound an awful lot better than anything Creative Labs produces. The RME 9632 is an obvious possiblity, but there are others.