Quick Question (D1, 1098 or 1.7?; Plus Multi-Zone?)

Adz523

« on: 22 Jul 2004, 09:31 am »
By the way, I am a Bryston owner  - I recently purchased the 6B sst to drive my Def Tech 7000s.  Those monsters needed the power of the Bryston and its certainly living up to the task.

Now I am looking at replacing my rotel 1098 with the 1.7 or the new anthem D1.  I am primarily a movie watcher but do listening to some music (probably 80/20).  If anyone has any strong opinions on this or has a/b'ed both at the same time, please let me know. For my quick question, does the 1.7 have multi-zone output capability?  It appears not and I was quite surprised by that, but a confirmation is always nice in case I am missing something.

Thanks,

Levi

Pre-amp recommendation
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2004, 02:33 pm »
I have been using the SP1.7 for years now and it always amaze me with the new movies and old.  It is extremely accurate.  You will hear subtle details.  Dialog is clear, precise and offers an easy to use uncluttered look.  Bla...bla...bla...

You will also like the SP1.7 in music (2ch bypass mode).  Only one word to describe it, "transparent"!

It may not offer multi-zone output, tuner or video switching capability but it is truly a high-end Pre-pro + 20years warranty.

I hope this helps.

Levi

Adz523

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2004, 01:24 am »
C'mon.  Only one response?
Let me narrow the focus.

I am a minimalist (I don't need multi-zone or video switching).  I would like DPLIIx but that's for another thread.  Having said this,  I am after the best possible DVD Video overall surround sound at this price point.  I think the only competition would be Anthem D1, Lexicon MC8 or the Halo C1/C2.  Out of these 3, I'd give the edge to the MC8 solely based on what I have read.  

What do you all think?  And yes, I realize this is a Bryston Circle but I believe in the integrity of its members!!

nicolasb

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2004, 10:59 am »
It's been a while since I was auditioning processors, but, of the ones I did listen to, I'd say the SP1.7 is a very big step up from most of the cheaper processors (e.g. Rotel, Cyrus, Myryad, Primaire), a big step up from the Naim AV2, and a smaller, but significant, step up from the Arcam AV8 (at least in terms of sound quality). It's comparable to the Meridian 568.2 (I've not auditioned the G-series) and it's probably at a similar level of quality to (albeit very different from) the Tag McLaren AV192R (and therefore, presumably, also the dual-SHARC AV32R).

It's definitely not as good as the Lexicon MC-12B.

I found the Lexicon MC-8 to be a bit dissapointing in comparison with the MC-12, but that was rather an unsatisfactory audition for various reasons, so I would advise you to listen to the SP1.7 and MC-8 side by side if you can.

You might also want to check out the Parasound Halo C2, as it's supposed to be very good value. I've also heard good things about the Krell Showcase and (although it's in desperate need of an update) the Theta Casa Nova.

The SP1.7 has a rather different philosophy from many other processors - Bryston focuses very strongly on the analogue side of things where other devices are more about the digital processing. The SP1.7 does more or less what you would expect it to be able to do - decodes all the formats, does THX Ultra, does bass management. But it's distinctly lacking in "features".

For example, you have to fork out a lot more money if you want video switching or an OSD - machines like the Arcam AV8 have that already built in. Bryston doesn't develop much of their own software, unlike a machine from Tag McLaren, or Meridian, or Lexicon where the post-processing software (e.g. bass management) is proprietary. Auditioning the SP1.7 against the Tag AV192R the Bryston was clearer in the front three channels, but just a little bit wooly in the rear channels. The Tag had razor-sharp steering to the rear, but a hint of distortion and brightness in the front channels.

Similarly, something like the Lexicon MC-12 is clearer in the surround channels.

You also won't find features like Dolby Headphone or Parametric EQ on the Bryston. (There will eventually be a DSP upgrade which is likely to enable Dolby Headphone, but James Tanner seems to be strongly philosophically opposed to EQ functions). You also won't find Logic 7 or Trifield.

The basic sound of the SP1.7 is very good - very neutral, quite clear. But it's not quite as clear or as good for music as I'd hoped it would be - when I listen to music I use the SP1.7 as a pre-amp and feed in the analogue outputs from my Arcam DV27 player, which isn't a bad CD player by any means, but isn't exactly state of the art either. This isn't much better than the SP1.7 sounds in stereo, but it is better.

The one area where the SP1.7 truly excels, of course, is as an analogue pre-amp (when you have it in analogue bypass mode). As a pre-amp it leaves every other AV processor I've heard gasping in the dust, the MC-12B included. You'd certainly be very hard-pressed indeed to find a better quality 5.1-channel analogue pre-amp!

(Maybe the incredibly ancient Linn 5103 could do a better job in stereo, but it's absolute rubbish for anything else. I dare say the newer Linn Kisto is excellent, but if you could afford one of those you'd be auditioning an MC-12, Theta Casa Blanca II, Meridian 861, and maybe even Mark Levinson!)

KJ

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jul 2004, 03:39 am »
I agree the SP 1.7 is a step up from the Rotel series pre/pros for stereo listening.  I have compared the 1068 and 1098 to the SP1.7 using Bryston SST amplifiers.  However, I did not sit down and listen to a movie long enough to make distinctions on their HT performance.  I was more interested in the stereo quality knowing that the movie experience of each would easily meet my personal expectations.  Just setting the stage.

I haven't heard the new Anthem D1 yet, but if it is an improvement over the AVM20, the SP 1.7 might have some competition.  When the AVM20 was first out I weighed the Anthem's value vs. Bryston's quality.  I preferred the detail of the Bryston, but the SP1.7 was quite a jump up in
price.  Also, the ongoing cost to maintain software versions on the Bryston was greater (Anthem upgrades can be performed by the user for
free).  I guess I can't appreciate spending money on minor software corrections after spending thousands to begin with.  As for warranty, I don't believe the technology of a pre/pro would satisfy me long enough to reach the end of the manufacturer's warranty (ie, I'd end up replacing it long before a 20 year warranty ended due to technology changes).  Of course, the D1 is now $400 higher (MSRP) than the SP1.7, so I guess one would have to compare mostly quality and features rather than "value."

The SP1.7 has a rather different philosophy from many other processors - Bryston focuses very strongly on the analogue side of things
where other devices are more about the digital processing. The SP1.7 does more or less what you would expect it to be able to do - decodes all
the formats, does THX Ultra, does bass management. But it's distinctly lacking in "features".

Maybe I'm not understanding, but the one thing I was most impressed with on the SP1.7 was the DAC.  Since I use CD/DVD players only (digitally connected), I felt that I could spend less on my sources given the impressive DAC of the Bryston.  I will agree that the "features" of the
Bryston may be less than the competition.  In my case, those are features I don't believe I would necessarily miss.

I haven't heard the other pre/pros listed, so I'll have to defer to others.

My $.02.

-KJ

jimmyp58

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jul 2004, 10:18 am »
So KJ, which pre/pro do you own?

Jim

KJ

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jul 2004, 02:46 pm »
jimmyp58,

Still clinging to an older Marantz unit - Marantz AV-550.  Definitely nothing to brag about.  I've been reluctant to part my money on a new pre/pro since they seem to undergo more changes than any other component in my system.

-KJ