Isle of Dogs, a Wes Anderson film

WGH

Isle of Dogs, a Wes Anderson film
« on: 16 May 2018, 05:23 pm »
Wes Anderson fans need to put Isle of Dogs on their "must see" list. Wes has adapted his distinctive style to make a sweet, funny, amazing, action filled stop motion animation film with talking dogs. I have long been a fan of the Aardman movies starting with the Wallace and Gromit films; Anderson takes claymation to the next level, each scene has so much going on it's a blast to try and take it all in.

The voice cast includes Bryan Cranston, Edward Norton, Bill Murray, Jeff Goldblum, Greta Gerwig, Frances McDormand, Courtney B. Vance, Fisher Stevens, Harvey Keitel, Liev Schreiber, Bob Balaban, Scarlett Johansson, Tilda Swinton, F. Murray Abraham, Frank Wood, Kunichi Nomura and Yoko Ono

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

brother love

Re: Isle of Dogs, a Wes Anderson film
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2018, 05:42 pm »
This one is appealing since I truly love Wes Anderson movies including his other stop motion animation film "The Fantastic Mr. Fox". The trailer for Isle of Dogs made me hesitate a bit though (not sure why exactly), so I figured I would catch it on Netflix later. Anderson's movies do lend themselves to the big screen esp. The Grand Budapest Hotel.

Aardman Studios has always been a favorite too not just for Wallace & Gromit, but Rex the Runt. They have a new one out called "Early Man" : https://www.aardman.com/

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2018, 05:59 pm »
Because Isle of Dogs has so much detail in each frame it benefits by seeing it on the big screen, Netflix won't do it justice.

Even the simple scenes have a lot of detail to take in:

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2018, 08:42 pm »
Whoever watches this next, please count the amount of true smiles that occur. I will do the same when I get a chance to see it.

Wes Anderson often has zero smiles in movies. Some have very few, and some have smirks but not true smiles. It is part of the aesthetic.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2018, 03:53 am »
I thought it was wonderful! :thumb:  Superb voice acting choices and just well done overall.