tube amp with HT1?

kenk

tube amp with HT1?
« on: 25 Aug 2005, 09:47 pm »
Hi Jim,

Do you recommend running HT1 with tube int amps?  

Thanks,

Ken

jsalk

tube amp with HT1?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2005, 01:08 am »
Ken -

The Veracity line of speakers was developed to be extremely accurate and detailed.  If you like the sound of tube amps (and I do) the combination can be very good.

These speakers are not SET amp candidates, mind you.  For tubes, I quite often use mine with a 40-watt tube amp I happen to have.  I love the results. I don't think I would go with any less power and any additional power will simply provide added hearoom.

With SS, I would recommend at least 80 watts or more to provide adequate headroom.

But in either case, the better the amp, the better the sound.  I have heard the HT1's with some tube amps that could not compete with a good SS in terms of top-end detail.  If there are any shortcomings with a given amp, you will be able to hear them.  But with the right tube amp, you would be in heaven.

I have also had very good results using a tubed pre-amp and a SS amp.  This provides a nice warm, musical tube sound with the speed of SS.

The best answer I can give you is that the HT1's will faithfully reproduce whatever signal they are fed.  If it is provided by a great amp, the results will be great.  If not, the sound will mearly be very good (I have demo'd HT1's with a $129 Sony SS amp with no complaints from the audiophiles present - they didn't know what was driving them).

Whether it be tubes or SS is a matter of personal taste.

- Jim

kenk

tube amp with HT1?
« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2005, 03:37 am »
Thanks for the prompt response.  It is good to know that my SP3 is good enough (38w).