30.7s on tour

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
30.7s on tour
« on: 3 Aug 2018, 09:31 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd_HZJ3Ii70&feature=youtu.be

Kind of sound like Grado headphones from my current listening position...

SteveFord

• Facilitator
Re: 30.7s on tour
« Reply #1 on: 3 Aug 2018, 10:52 pm »
I wrote to Wendell and they are hitting ALL of the US dealers so that's quite the road trip he's on with the wife.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #2 on: 3 Aug 2018, 11:05 pm »
WOW!   Schedule?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 3 Aug 2018, 11:09 pm »
Last I heard it was contact your local dealer to be put on a notification list.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 6 Aug 2018, 10:03 pm »
Yep, contact your dealer.
Probably too difficult to make a schedule way in advance.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/magnepan-to-visit-every-magnepan-dealer-in-north-america/

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2018, 03:05 pm »
Wendell sent me this one.
We're all getting older, will the younger generation discover Big Stereo?

I don't think anyone has the answer for that one. 
People come over to my house and they can usually guess that they're looking at speakers but tube amplifiers are a puzzler.
That then leads to that looks expensive and finally they ask where someone could go to buy something like my system, how would someone know about stuff like this?  If you had to source these things from all over the place, how did you know about it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tToBDcLDrNk

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2018, 08:48 pm »
  No doubt a speaker to hear. You are going to need a bigger boat. :lol:

charles

Emsquare

« Reply #7 on: 11 Sep 2018, 09:46 pm »
I am watching for them to tour through North Carolina. I'm at a point where the price tag for the 30.7 is doable. But I don't have the right room geometry for placement. I don't think it's about having a big room necessarily. I suspect that the right width may support the 30.7 better. I have noticed from some of the demo pictures that Wendell has the bass panels in close proximity to the side walls. I don't think that is just making do with the available space. The side boundry gains for bass extension could be just the ticket for those speakers.

josh358

« Reply #8 on: 20 Sep 2018, 01:48 am »
Suggest you ask Wendell about that. The Tympani IVa was designed to be used either way, with the mid/tweet panel separate and the bass panels against the side wall, or with all three panels in line and the speakers freestanding.

Emsquare

« Reply #9 on: 20 Sep 2018, 11:30 pm »
Suggest you ask Wendell about that. The Tympani IVa was designed to be used either way, with the mid/tweet panel separate and the bass panels against the side wall, or with all three panels in line and the speakers freestanding.

Yeah, I should. I made a point to use words like might and could because there's a big difference between knowing and having a suspicion. I had only recently came across a Tympani set up guide that illustrated the possibility of placement at the side walls. Never considered doing that before. Tried it. Wasn't prepared for the influence that had on the lower bass. Whoa... Subwoofer? We don't need no stinking subwoofer.

But it wasn't all for the best. It skewed the tonal balance in a way that wasn't for the better. So it was necessary to add a few more inches of space to the side walls. But it did give me something to think about. I would be wise to get some guidance from Wendell in this matter. By now he has a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't.

josh358

« Reply #10 on: 20 Sep 2018, 11:57 pm »
Heh, yes, if you do that with a Tympani, you'd better be prepared to EQ it down. :-) But you get more headroom once you do.

I've also found as you do that a few inches can make a big difference.

I mentioned your post to Wendell, BTW, and he said he hopes you call. I'll be curious to hear what he says if you do!

Emsquare

« Reply #11 on: 21 Sep 2018, 08:53 pm »
Heh, yes, if you do that with a Tympani, you'd better be prepared to EQ it down. :) But you get more headroom once you do.

I've also found as you do that a few inches can make a big difference.

I mentioned your post to Wendell, BTW, and he said he hopes you call. I'll be curious to hear what he says if you do!

Magnepan has a dealer here in Raleigh. Which I will make a point to attend if/when the 30's breeze through. I don't have a decent room to set them up in... yet. That's the next home remodel project though. Have to think that one through. The only thing I have going for me is a decent starter amplifier to work with so it doesn't have to be a combination purchase just to play them. I'll make a point to talk to Wendell about that when the opportunity presents itself. I made note that he encouraged people to walk around in front of their speakers so that they would experience the stereo projection of a Magnepan. That's one of the qualities that sold me on their speakers to begin with. And the midbass performance is unsurpassed in my experience. That's a big deal to me.

josh358

« Reply #12 on: 22 Sep 2018, 12:00 am »
Wow, it would be a dream to have a custom room. :-) I've often wished that when we were doing the renovations here, I'd expanded my listening room, which had a small bedroom built inside it in the 19th century. Now, it would be a huge messy project. About the only thing I did was run dedicated power lines and put in provisions for hiding cables, which I ended up not using anyway.

Know what you mean about the midbass. Which should be even better in the 30.7's than the IVa's because of the new 4-way midbass driver. Also, it's a brand new midrange that apparently brings the quality of the midrange in line with the midbass and ribbon tweeter performance.

I'm looking forward to the demo too, though Wendell says you'll hear really good sound in only about 20% of the dealers because a lot of them have acoustics issues. But I gather the dealers will make special listening arrangements for those who are interested in buying a pair.

johnto

« Reply #13 on: 24 Sep 2018, 02:08 am »
Anyone know where the next stop is.

josh358

« Reply #14 on: 24 Sep 2018, 02:30 am »
Wendell is back at Magenpan now catching up. I'm not sure when he plans to leave for the next leg of the tour, or what the first stop will be.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #15 on: 24 Sep 2018, 02:47 am »
I’ll be keeping an eye out for this tour but was curious if anybody has had a chance to hear the .7’s? I think I’m going to visit a local store to hear these as a possible next set of speakers. I’ve only been to a few audio shows and the Maggie’s I heard were not that good, probably in large part to a poor room so I’m curious to here these setup properly.

Mike-48

« Reply #16 on: 12 Oct 2018, 11:21 pm »
Last time I heard the Magnepan gang demo speakers here (at Pearl A/V), the demo music was just WAY TOO LOUD. At least with the Classical music, the sound was way louder than one hears in a small recital hall or large concert hall. I hope if anyone from the factory is reading this, they can use more realistic levels on this tour. A real cello is never earsplitting, even when heard from just a few feet away.

Mike B.

« Reply #17 on: 13 Oct 2018, 03:00 am »
I am surprised Wendell is not retired. He was a school teacher in the Eugene Oregon area. I met him at a hi fi show he was part of at Lane Community College. I am guessing that was in the early 1970's

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 13 Oct 2018, 04:52 am »
The impression I get is he does it because he just really enjoys it.
Retirement is what other people do.

fridays

« Reply #19 on: 13 Oct 2018, 03:38 pm »
Maggie's sound best when they are played loud, also sound good when people have ten foot mouths