SACD ripping using a PS3

billmcc

Re: SACD ripping using a PS3
« Reply #140 on: 15 Mar 2013, 09:05 pm »
Bill,
PM me and I'd be happy to partake in a conference call or something

Ted,

Thanks once again :). I'll send you a PM.

Bill

dminches

« Reply #141 on: 9 Apr 2013, 01:23 pm »
I want to do this once and for all.  How do I know if I buy a 60GB PS3 that it will be able to do this?  Do I have to ask the seller what firmware is installed?  There are a number of used units on Amazon which this thread links to.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #142 on: 9 Apr 2013, 01:44 pm »
I want to do this once and for all.  How do I know if I buy a 60GB PS3 that it will be able to do this?  Do I have to ask the seller what firmware is installed?  There are a number of used units on Amazon which this thread links to.

Yes, the owner must know the firmware level of the unit and make sure it is 3.55 or below (otherwise you've bought a game machine only; it's of no use for this project), and the unit needs to be one of the four older PS3's that play SACD, as per my table

dminches

« Reply #143 on: 9 Apr 2013, 03:08 pm »
If you had to pick between an 80 GB  with 3.41 and a 60 GB with 3.55, which would you pick, or is there no difference for SACD ripping?

wisnon

« Reply #144 on: 9 Apr 2013, 03:15 pm »
no difference...

dminches

« Reply #145 on: 9 Apr 2013, 03:38 pm »
Last question (ha):  what is an expected range of prices I should expect to pay?  Is $250 a reasonable price?

Phil A

« Reply #146 on: 9 Apr 2013, 04:01 pm »
Last question (ha):  what is an expected range of prices I should expect to pay?  Is $250 a reasonable price?

Yes - that is reasonable for one that works with the proper firmware.  That's probably at the lower end of the fair price range as well.

tonyptony

« Reply #147 on: 9 Apr 2013, 04:18 pm »

Ask the seller if there are any operational problems - YLOD (Yellow Light Of Death), fan not working, Blu-Ray drive not working, any other indicator light errors.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #148 on: 9 Apr 2013, 04:20 pm »
Yes - that is reasonable for one that works with the proper firmware.  That's probably at the lower end of the fair price range as well.

Agreed.  Jump on it.  Some have paid $500.  And its' worth is of course relative to the size of your project; small SACD libraries of less than 50 discs are likely not a canddate for a $500 ripper.  I have 1200 discs and paid $180 for mine, but that was on Day one 18 months ago.

dminches

« Reply #149 on: 9 Apr 2013, 04:37 pm »
I found one for $200.  Now the fun begins.

dminches

« Reply #150 on: 9 Apr 2013, 04:52 pm »
I assume I can get everything I need from here http://code.google.com/p/sacd-ripper/

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #151 on: 9 Apr 2013, 05:26 pm »
I assume I can get everything I need from here http://code.google.com/p/sacd-ripper/

Nope, from here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgVhKcl_3lHfdFVyenBBNjNpQ2lieG81WGpqQTNfVUE#gid=0

My Ripping guide (which includes all links to tools and complied software...you're welcome) are at the bottom  :)

or PM me and I'll send the PDF.

dminches

« Reply #152 on: 12 Apr 2013, 01:23 am »
All I can say is thank you.

I got the PS3 today, upgraded to 3.55, etc etc.  I am running in server mode so I am ripping to my PC.  I converted the DSFs to 24/96 flacs and I am listening to them on my Squeezebox touch.

Since I do not yet have a DSD I will be converting to flacs for now.

Should I just store the DSF files, the ISO file, or both for future use with a DSD DAC?

Phil A

« Reply #153 on: 12 Apr 2013, 01:28 am »
All I can say is thank you.

I got the PS3 today, upgraded to 3.55, etc etc.  I am running in server mode so I am ripping to my PC.  I converted the DSFs to 24/96 flacs and I am listening to them on my Squeezebox touch.

Since I do not yet have a DSD I will be converting to flacs for now.

Should I just store the DSF files, the ISO file, or both for future use with a DSD DAC?

Personally, I'd do both and at least back-up the ISO files as the extraction process does not take that long and you don't want to lose them.  I'm finishing my non-classical hi-rez 3TB drive now and will have it backed up over the weekend (I have the ISO files done already for everything).  Time permitting, I'll get to the rest of the stuff.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #154 on: 12 Apr 2013, 02:57 am »
Yes, by no means do you want to lose those precious ISOs (an be forced to rip again and risk the mortality of a used PS3).  Everything comes from them (extracting stereo, multichannel, etc).   Simply archive them offline if needed.

dminches

« Reply #155 on: 12 Apr 2013, 03:31 am »
Gotcha. Hard drive space is something I have a good amount of.

rhmmmm

« Reply #156 on: 13 Apr 2013, 06:43 pm »
I am going to be posting an ad soon in the FS section for the PS3 I have used to rip my SACD collection. If you're interested, PM me.  It is an 80GB unit and is ready to go.  I have experienced no issues with the unit.

legolas8

« Reply #157 on: 2 May 2013, 03:04 pm »
I am going to be posting an ad soon in the FS section for the PS3 I have used to rip my SACD collection. If you're interested, PM me.  It is an 80GB unit and is ready to go.  I have experienced no issues with the unit.

I'm interested in your PS3. Please PM me.

::Dudeman::

« Reply #158 on: 9 Jun 2013, 05:02 pm »
A bit of a dual purpose post here. To get enough posts to send a PM and to ask a question. Looking for a PS3 and there seem be be a few with new laser assemblies. Given the copy protection built into the drives does anyone know if they will still play SACDs?  I've asked the sellers as well but if anyone is still monitoring this thread I'd appreciate their input as well

::Dudeman::

« Reply #159 on: 9 Jun 2013, 10:27 pm »
More digging and I answered my own question. It depends what was done.

My PS3 features an SACD logo on the side but it fails to recognize any SACD as such.

If your console has been serviced or refursbished it's possible the optical disc drive has been replaced. Only the original BMD-001 has the CXD5064 chip for decoding PSP (SACD's copy protection). The newer BMD-002 drive and other Blu-ray Disc drives do not support SACD.