New Counter Weight for a Well Tempered Classic

beta14ok

New Counter Weight for a Well Tempered Classic
« on: 29 Feb 2016, 04:21 am »
I've been communicating with Brian at Espressimo Audio.

They make "The Lift".......actually I bought mine from Brian's Dad years ago. But they now make lots of other cool stuff, including really cool armpods. They also make these beautiful half-moon Counter Weights for tone arms. I have now replaced my Stainless Steel (74g) weight with an Espressimo Audio Brass (80g) weight and am very please with the results. The weigh is greater, so has allowed for the mass to be moved closer to the pivot....also has an internal damping ring that essentially replaces the Marigo VTS Dots I had on the Stainless Steel counter weight

I'm very pleased with the results, plus it looks cool. The effect on acoustic instruments is particularly improved, more snap & detail. I'm not gonna be sending it back, but we may extend the experiment with a heavier half-moon brass counter weight coupled with a small brass head shell weight with thoughts of improving the compliance matching of the arm to the cartridge.

daveyonthecoast

Re: New Counter Weight for a Well Tempered Classic
« Reply #1 on: 29 Feb 2016, 09:02 am »
Hello Friend
You have the unit looking amazing!!, well done, I have the same TT as your's, with margio arm clamp, I'm looking to make My TT, looking, like your TT, are all your upgrades done by the same company, if so can you supply me with links??
Many Thanks
David

daveyonthecoast

« Reply #2 on: 29 Feb 2016, 09:12 am »
Hello Friend
I went on the website, but did not, find, what I'm after!!
Hoping you can help!!
Many Thanks
David

beta14ok

« Reply #3 on: 29 Feb 2016, 11:29 pm »
I'm not sure if I can say exactly what you are after.....that hasn't been covered in other threads.

But for the avoidance of doubt here are the things on my WTT that are not stock:

Record clamp: TTWeights - No longer in production
Spirit Level: TTWeights - No longer in production
Dust bug: Audio Technica AT6002 - custom brass arm & mounts by me - No longer in production
TT mat: Marigo Audio - No longer in production
Brass knobs: Home depot - custom tapped and mounted by me - Never in production
VTS Dots: Marigo Audio - Still in production
Well Damped Clamp: Marigo Audio - No longer in production
Arm lift: Espressimo Audio "The Lift" - Still in production
Arm Counterbalance: Espressimo Audio Half Moon Weight - Custom production
Cartidge: Sumiko Blackbird 2.5mV - Still in production
Isolation Table: Townshend Seismic Sink - gutted and rebuilt w/ Ginko Audio Balls by me - No longer in production
Drive belt: Turnable basics - Still in production
Arm well fluid: Lucas Factory Team 100K cst - Still in production
Drive bearing fluid: Royal Purple 5W30 synthetic motor oil - Still in production

Best wishes with your search.

ACHiPo

« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2016, 04:27 pm »
I'm not sure if I can say exactly what you are after.....that hasn't been covered in other threads.

But for the avoidance of doubt here are the things on my WTT that are not stock:

Record clamp: TTWeights - No longer in production
Spirit Level: TTWeights - No longer in production
Dust bug: Audio Technica AT6002 - custom brass arm & mounts by me - No longer in production
TT mat: Marigo Audio - No longer in production
Brass knobs: Home depot - custom tapped and mounted by me - Never in production
VTS Dots: Marigo Audio - Still in production
Well Damped Clamp: Marigo Audio - No longer in production
Arm lift: Espressimo Audio "The Lift" - Still in production
Arm Counterbalance: Espressimo Audio Half Moon Weight - Custom production
Cartidge: Sumiko Blackbird 2.5mV - Still in production
Isolation Table: Townshend Seismic Sink - gutted and rebuilt w/ Ginko Audio Balls by me - No longer in production
Drive belt: Turnable basics - Still in production
Arm well fluid: Lucas Factory Team 100K cst - Still in production
Drive bearing fluid: Royal Purple 5W30 synthetic motor oil - Still in production

Best wishes with your search.
And what about that beautiful arm well?  Who made that for you?

beta14ok

« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2016, 05:10 pm »
The actual arm well is stock, but is surrounded by Marigo Audio's  massive brass well damped clamp. It does make for a nice presentation and I believe that the additional mass does help with damping and a lowering the noise floor.
« Last Edit: 1 Mar 2016, 08:22 pm by beta14ok »

beta14ok

« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2016, 06:15 pm »
I thought the AT6002 Dust Bug was out of production, and no longer available,........but I guess if you really wanted a stock one, eBay can give you joy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDIO-TECHNICA-AT-6002-AUTOCLEANICA-AT-608-Automatic-Disc-Record-Phono-1-Unit-/111903720364?hash=item1a0dfb43ac:g:gWgAAOSwLVZVq56d
« Last Edit: 1 Mar 2016, 08:21 pm by beta14ok »

daveyonthecoast

« Reply #7 on: 4 Mar 2016, 10:46 am »
Hey thanks
Everyone, for you input!!
I'm going to buy, the half moon, and the arm lift, if any one else, has suggestion's, to improve, the arm performance, I have the marigo brass cup, I do believe, that the belt and pully has been inproved, on the classic??, is this so??, also If anyone sees, a larry Pederson, upgraded arm, and Marigo platter etc can you contact me, as these things, are not heard off down here in Australia
Many Thanks, to the above for there time
Regards
David